Couple Observations

Volfanstucknga

I wanted to share a couple of observations from the UGA game. I have seen a lot of talking points in threads, but I haven't noticed these in particular.

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Reads his progressions fast
* Good pocket awareness (I know he was de-cleated on the blind side hit, but when the pocket was collapsing he showed the ability to extend the play)
* Energy
* And the most important...throws the ball away when the play is not there! Hallelujah!!

Oline:
* Pride
* Finally seeing some nasty streaks!! This is showing up from Kennedy, Wright, Smith, and Morris. This is exciting!! I have not observed this in a number of years. Their play has definitely stepped up.

Overall I finally saw improvement. I am hoping this continues throughout the season. I'm just glad the fans and the team has not thrown in the towel yet. Our lack of depth reared it's head in the second half. Any coach, including CJP will need at least 2 more solid recruiting classes to get this team to win 9-10 games.

Agreed, especially regarding the o-line. Some of the o-line penalties may have hurt us, but I was encouraged to see that instead of being of the "false start" variety, many of them were of the nasty variety (unnecessary roughness, targeting - which was reversed, etc.)

I to am encourage by the tenacity I am seeing from the younger players. It pains me to say this but I still only see us winning 3 or 4 games this year. Depending upon the class coming in and how many early enrollees we can get I think we could be much improved next year.

I to am encourage by the tenacity I am seeing from the younger players. It pains me to say this but I still only see us winning 3 or 4 games this year. Depending upon the class coming in and how many early enrollees we can get I think we could be much improved next year.

I can live with the lack of winning games (RIGHT NOW) as long as we see improvement and guys who want to fight to be out there. I think it's trending that direction.

I wanted to share a couple of observations from the UGA game. I have seen a lot of talking points in threads, but I haven't noticed these in particular.

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Good pocket awareness (I know he was de-cleated on the blind side hit, but when the pocket was collapsing he showed the ability to extend the play)
* Energy
* And the most important...throws the ball away when the play is not there! Hallelujah!!

Oline:
* Pride
* Finally seeing some nasty streaks!! This is showing up from Kennedy, Wright, Smith, and Morris. This is exciting!! I have not observed this in a number of years. Their play has definitely stepped up.

Overall I finally saw improvement. I am hoping this continues throughout the season. I'm just glad the fans and the team has not thrown in the towel yet. Our lack of depth reared it's head in the second half. Any coach, including CJP will need at least 2 more solid recruiting classes to get this team to win 9-10 games.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
BM looked pretty good, still has a long way to go. The first TD was a busted coverage but good on him for seeing and making the throw. He was completely shut down in 2nd half. Probably out next week from what I saw on sideline.

The fight the team showed was good.

Defense has a long way to go. Coaches have to blitz and put pressure if dline cant get the push. Even if it risk our secondary getting burned.

Bryce Thompson will embarrass this team before he leaves. He is a really good player, but he is a punk, plain and simple. Flame away, but unless he makes some major changes he is going to bit us in the rear sooner or later..

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Energy

Oline:
* Pride

We have been saying the exact same thing for the last 15 years, we need 2 more years

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Energy

Oline:
* Pride

I posted this in another thread but look how quick he slings it here inside a somewhat small window. Of course it helps Jennings fights for every catch.

Tennessee vs Georgia Football Game Highlights 10 5 2019 2m46s - 2m51.4s (GmxcPFvcfhY).gif

I think the LB's and DE's are weak and small. Watch the film of the game, watch when the UGA running backs run off tackle and the LB's hit them in the hole. It is a great play to fill the gap and make the stop but it is bad when the LB ends up 3 yards backward and the RB is still moving forward. Turns a 1 yard gain into a 4 or 5 yard gain. We never saw this happen to A. Wilson or L. Little. These guys are playing better and working hard to get better but you will never win the indy 500 with a volvo.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
BM looked pretty good, still has a long way to go. The first TD was a busted coverage but good on him for seeing and making the throw. He was completely shut down in 2nd half. Probably out next week from what I saw on sideline.

Defense has a long way to go. Coaches have to blitz and put pressure if dline cant get the push. Even if it risk our secondary getting burned.

Bryce Thompson will embarrass this team before he leaves. He is a really good player, but he is a punk, plain and simple. Flame away, but unless he makes some major changes he is going to bit us in the rear sooner or later..
I said the same thing about how our d line isn’t egging any pressure, and that we needed to blitz if we wanted a chance... but during the game I watched us blitz multiple times, and Fromm is too experienced and he just calmly finds an open guy. It was not working against Georgia. Until we are able to generate a 4 man rush, our D will be below average

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Energy

Oline:
* Pride

Hope springs eternal....

Agree, hoping BM is back for this week. I wouldn't even put him in for the Bama game. No sense in him taking shots when we need him to win the winnable games remaining. I am disappointed with the lack of pressure too, but UGA has only given up 1 sack this season. Two reasons. One, their oline is dominating and pick up blitzes well. Two, Jake Fromm. He recognizes blitzes and sets protection or audibles into a play that gives him a quick throw...often in the direction of the blitz. He is a very cerebral QB. Bryce...you may be right. He is lucky the punch wasn't seen.

Agree, hoping BM is back for this week. I wouldn't even put him in for the Bama game. No sense in him taking shots when we need him to win the winnable games remaining. I am disappointed with the lack of pressure too, but UGA has only given up 1 sack this season. Two reasons. One, their oline is dominating and pick up blitzes well. Two, Jake Fromm. He recognizes blitzes and sets protection or audibles into a play that gives him a quick throw...often in the direction of the blitz. He is a very cerebral QB. Bryce...you may be right. He is lucky the punch wasn't seen.
Yeah, thats true on their o line. Luckily thats probably the best we will face. Coaches have to figure that out for us to have a chance against anyone.

We have been saying the exact same thing for the last 15 years, we need 2 more years
Well, some of us have been sat that, some on here find it very easy to not see the long term picture. There is a reason that a 5 year contract was needed.

I told everyone after the Spring game Maurer was the real deal, could extend plays like Joe Montana, but someone needs to give him a box of Wheaties, he looks like 160 lbs max soaking wet. I'm surprised he doesn't have a broken rib after that blindside hit.

I hope Pruitt takes note of the DB's poor tackling techniques and what it cost us. One in particular the DB launched at the runner/receiver and made solid contact but, the runner took the blow and kept on going for a big gain. He never attempted to wrap him up. I saw that throughout the night. Coaching should have already fixed that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I hope Pruitt takes note of the DB's poor tackling techniques and what it cost us. One in particular was I think it was Deangelo Gibbs who launched at the runner/receiver and made solid contact but, the runner took the blow and kept on going for a big gain. He never attempted to wrap him up. I saw that throughout the night. Coaching should have already fixed that.

Hate to break it to you, but Deangelo Gibbs has to sit out this year as he was not cleared by the NCAA.

Reactions: VolInDayton

We don't agree very often, but I'm afraid that you are right about BT.

Reactions: volfannbama
I think the LB's and DE's are weak and small. Watch the film of the game, watch when the UGA running backs run off tackle and the LB's hit them in the hole. It is a great play to fill the gap and make the stop but it is bad when the LB ends up 3 yards backward and the RB is still moving forward. Turns a 1 yard gain into a 4 or 5 yard gain. We never saw this happen to A. Wilson or L. Little. These guys are playing better and working hard to get better but you will never win the indy 500 with a volvo.
Never? I still have nightmares of the 97/98 Orange bowl against Nebraska. They ROLLED us in the 2nd half and I think they put up over 400 yards rushing.

Reactions: LittleVol
I told everyone after the Spring game Maurer was the real deal, could extend plays like Joe Montana, but someone needs to give him a box of Wheaties, he looks like 160 lbs max soaking wet. I'm surprised he doesn't have a broken rib after that blindside hit.

I've seen him listed at 193, but I think that's being generous. He's definitely going to have some S&C work to do in the offseason to beef up.

Never? I still have nightmares of the 97/98 Orange bowl against Nebraska. They ROLLED us in the 2nd half and I think they put up over 400 yards rushing.

Indeed, Nebraska had one of the best Oline’s and Dline’s of any college team in recent memory.......big strong Caucasian corn fed mid-westerners........ they whipped our ass in the 2nd half

Reactions: TC 83

VN Store

Back