Things that make you irrationally anxious/nervous/stressed

I don't like trying to socialize in a crowd when the roles and expectations are unclear. I hate going out with coworkers when it gets to be more than four or five, and especially if any bosses present. Same for people from my church - a few I can hang with, but not a roomfull.

My wife's the same way. Some of the big freeway interchanges in SoCal have tall, curving, banked bridges that just terrify her. The Coronado Bridge in San Diego drives her nuts:

6471454205_713c006556_b.jpg
My wife was born and raised in SD and will not drive over that bridge

Reactions: pismonque
I don't get anxious/worried about things. Definitely lose patience though.

My MIL is a huge, I mean huge worrier and husband definitely takes some of it from her, and that is enough for the two of us. 😆 I'm more of a take things and react (excited, upset, etc) as things happen and deal with things then.

My MIL is a huge, I mean huge worrier and husband definitely takes some of it from her, and that is enough for the two of us. 😆 I'm more of a take things and react (excited, upset, etc) as things happen and deal with things then.
Getting serious for a minute, I literally had to learn how to not worry. I had to consciously let go.

Worry is a bizarre and horrible thing.

Getting serious for a minute, I literally had to learn how to not worry. I had to consciously let go.

It is, and it's entirely unproductive.

Worrying about an outcome makes zero sense. If there's something you can do to affect the outcome, great, do it. But if there's not, worrying about it has zero affect on the outcome but negatively affects you in the meantime. And possibly afterward, even to the point of degrading the outcome.

But, as with many things, easier said....

I know a ton of people do and I understand it is hard when it is all they know. I just can't do it.

It is, and it's entirely unproductive.

Worrying about an outcome makes zero sense. If there's something you can do to affect the outcome, great, do it. But if there's not, worrying about it has zero affect on the outcome but negatively affects you in the meantime. And possibly afterward, even to the point of degrading the outcome.

But, as with many things, easier said....

This is pretty much my same mindset. I would say most of everything you can't control the outcome, so why worry about it?? Which is why I take the approach of I will deal and react with things as they happen. I do get some of it though when other people do worry - worry over children, family, etc. However, if you can't control it, why fill your mind with the anxiety and upset negative feelings? I guess this is the glass half full vs. glass half empty outlook.

The ones that I don't get are instances like this....my parents are in retirement and are living their life traveling all over the world, multiple times per year. They will invite friends to go with them, and we actually invited my husband's parents with us to Europe this year. My parents are 9 times out of 10 turned down on their trips, as we were by my in laws. And most of the time it is the same reasoning, worried to take a flight overseas or worried that something will happen in another country. I think to myself, do you worry every day about traveling in your car? What about all these freak attacks that happen here? I just do not get it as anything can happen to us any day at any time. I do not worry about my parents when they travel, but I know if something does happen to them, they were living their life and that is okay, just as if something happens to me. But if nothing does happen, what did I do all that worrying for??

Reactions: pismonque
Figured I could take a stab at one of these semi regular threads where people share.

What are some probably irrational things that stress you out?

I think my biggest irrational anxiety is entering a new building, one I haven't been in before. Doesnt matter what it is, best friends new house, civic building, restaurant. I usually cant talk as I walk in, I am super alert, on edge, and have a irregular heart beat. But it's gone almost as soon as I enter. I could literally walk in, spend two seconds inside, walk out, and then right back in and feel no anxiety.

I dont think anything bad has happened to me in a new building. So I dont know where it comes from. I do tend to prefer to go to a place I have been before. My fear never keeps me from going somewhere, even to me that is silly, but as I approach the door I go into fight or flight mood.

This is really ironic as I am trying to get my architecture license. But going into a building I have worked on for a first time doesnt bother me. I am more stressed about going to the building where the test is at than I am about the test.

It's not a fear of getting lost. Its fear of the new, and i only have it for buildings.

What does everyone else have?

Crowds of people. Anything over 3-5 thousand.

I don’t like it and would rather be out on my own. All started being in the center of the grove at 24 or 25 and feeling like I couldn’t get out if I tried.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

So how do you handle it when he is stressed or having anxiety? Curious of how others who do not have anxiety react or think?

Only time I have ever had a panic attack was the first time I got a CAT scan. I learned that day that I'm terribly claustrophobic.

When I was a kid I used to love swimming in the lake. One time I got stuck under a boat and the thought of "no escape" has terrified me ever since.

Reactions: Hammy336
I’m a machinist, whenever I see a manager and 2 or 3 engineers or programmers in my area I can’t talk. most of the time it turns out to be something I had nothing to do with. I have a strong work ethic and always extremely organized and double check everything. Even though I know I’ve been doing things right I’ll chew off my fingernails.

Reactions: Hammy336

VN Store

Back