Tess Darby offer story

Have seen very little of this young lady playing basketball, but if coach Harper likes her, then that's fine with me.

Harper doesn't "like" her so much as she's settling for what's left. Regardless of whether Darby or whatever leftovers Harper signs at this point, her first recruiting class has been a colossal failure whether the fans here want to admit it or not...

In all fairness, no school has signed anyone yet in this recruiting cycle. And after the ink dries, there is still a lot of ball to be played.

Harper doesn't "like" her so much as she's settling for what's left. Regardless of whether Darby or whatever leftovers Harper signs at this point, her first recruiting class has been a colossal failure whether the fans here want to admit it or not...
I think we get it by now, you don't like Harper and the players she recruits. Darby hasn't even committed to TN and we haven't even played a game yet-makes a lot of sense on your part. :rolleyes:

This is not a desperation situation. This player has bb skills that can be developed.....

The third Hayes sister just verbaled to Notre Dame . Prospect Nation does not list her in top 100..... Hoopgurlz list her at #44 ! Her sister (Annie ) came to UT as a top #10 guard ! We thought we were getting a top ten recruit... We know how that turned out ! The question is WHY would Norte Dame want a player who some think she is not a top 100 player ?
I have watched their high school girls basketball team (Riverdale) for several years . That being said .... I would take Alasia over Annie every time. And evidently so would Norte Dame !
This Tess Darby is not a desperation reach. Let’s see if she comes ?
I don't know...Annie was a pretty good player for a freshman. She had a lot of holes in her game and was just useless as a shooter beyond 15 feet, but her speed and ability to get to the rim were difference makers for the team. When she was on, she was very good. Will be interesting to see how she does at MTSU.

As for Tess...I don't know. It feels a lot like when Kamara Harris was signed. They don't really need her; they have other players they can play at her spot. She's probably just an insurance signing to sit at the end of the bench and to be part of the practice squad. I'm sure that Kellie will be going after elite wings in 2021, so I doubt Tess will see the court that much unless there are injuries or a dry spell in recruiting.

Must be wonderful to have a big ole set of CRYSTALs BALL to look at all the time!

What I don't understand is why the coaching staff hasn't contracted with posters like Amb3096 and Darth_Vol to provide scouting reports and evaluations of potential recruits. Their ability to discern a player's SEC potential, without having to even see the player in action or talk with her coaches to determine her attitude/coachability and her knowledge of the game, must be unparalleled. The failure to take advantage of such a resource, if, in fact, they haven't already done so, just goes to show that Phil Fulmer made a drastic error in judgment in turning the reins of the program over to Coach Harper!

Jim

P. S. Do I need to put this post in blue font?

What I don't understand is why the coaching staff hasn't contracted with posters like Amb3096 and Darth_Vol to provide scouting reports and evaluations of potential recruits. Their ability to discern a player's SEC potential, without having to even see the player in action or talk with her coaches to determine her attitude/coachability and her knowledge of the game, must be unparalleled. The failure to take advantage of such a resource, if, in fact, they haven't already done so, just goes to show that Phil Fulmer made a drastic error in judgment in turning the reins of the program over to Coach Harper!

Jim

P. S. Do I need to put this post in blue font?

It’s true that most of us well-meaning fans who post on these boards too often base opinions on “gut feelings” or on knowledge of past experiences. But the fact is, coaching staffs are privy to far more specific information about prospects than most of us will ever know.

Sure, most of us here can watch players play and discern between good athletes and potentially great ones. We can watch film and determine whether someone hustles, or is quick, can leap, or whether her body language shows confidence. And some here are even connected/informed in more direct ways.

But few of us have a personal knowledge of the actual level of attention to academics any of these kids are showing. We don’t know how any of these kids treat others in school. We don’t know if the kids are a bit too immature, or too controlled by parents... or even (yes) too distracted by postpubescent personal issues to be able to commit to the level of focus and dedication that being a Tennessee Lady Vol requires.

Our coaching staff gets information about prospects that we as fans do not, and SHOULD NOT, get. We can rest assured that our staff is getting up-close-and-personal intel on which young women are the most likely to check ALL of the important boxes beside their checklist of qualities required to wear a jersey with a Tennessee Lady Vol logo on it.

I trust our staff to consider not only the best athletes, but ALSO the best students, the best potential teammates, the best potential university representatives and best postential community-conscious citizens that they can find.

MY unprofessional “gut feeling” is that Tess Darby checks enough boxes to make her someone I really, reaaaallly hope chooses the Lady Vols in November.

Last edited:
Plus, it's easy to say her name, not like some others in the recent past.... lol

While every player has a chance to start if they play well enough, with 10+ players on the roster, it's just not practical that all players receive equal playing time. Someone will be at the end of the bench.
It's not a crime to be recruited as a "specialty" player or as someone who will help in practices but receive little game time minutes. I'm not saying this scenario neccesarily applies to Tess, but I can see why that conclusion might be reached by some of our fans.
Fwiw, I agree with creekdipper, Tess seems exactly like the type of player who CKJH would have recruited at Mo. St.

Last edited:
Exactly....

culture kids... kids with high level skill set... kids who can actually shoot and score the ball... kids who WANT to play for the Lady Vols and don't come off as entitled and ungrateful...

Until this entire fan base changes its outlook on this stuff, football and women's basketball will never get back to where it once was because of our own stupidity... think about it people!

You all are going to wind up running this kid off because of your ignorance. A lot of people read these message boards, including the recruits and their family.

I don't think some anonymous dummies on the internet are going to "run her off", but it is ridiculous that we're seeing several negative posts, and to my knowledge, none of us have ever seen her play. Her 3 point % alone is encouraging because that stat usually only improves, the rest we have no clue. Is she fast enough, does she play tough d, dribble/pass well, basketball IQ? --- we do not know.

Last edited:
I don't think some anonymous dummies on the internet are going to "run her off", but it is ridiculous that we're seeing several negative posts, and to my knowledge, none of us have ever seen her play. Her 3 point % alone is encouraging because that stat usually only improves, the rest we have no clue. Is she fast enough, does play tough d, dribble/pass well, basketball IQ? --- we do not know.
Correct we don't, butttttttttttttttttttttttt KJH thinks so that's all that means a rats arse!!!

The potential is especially in that shot. The staff would have the task of developing her and training her sufficiently on defense in order to get her on the floor to implement her as a weapon on offense.

“Nowhere near the talent level we are used to” is a bit overstated. I can recall similar skill sets (and lack thereof) in former (and one current) players. I can recall all too frequently suffering defeats at the hands of teams comprised of similar talent levels (Va. Tech, Penn St., Alabama, Ole Miss, etc). Notre Dame and Stanford quickly come to mind utilizing similar players effectively in their offensive schemes. The staff just has to be willing to invest and creatively and laboriously make it happen.
I agree, give the young lady a chance before you decide that she is not the type of player we are looking for. We have to remember that extremely talented high school players have to be developed to reach their full potential. For the last several years we have seen good high school talent wasted because players were not fully developed to compete at the next level.

I don't think some anonymous dummies on the internet are going to "run her off", but it is ridiculous that we're seeing several negative posts, and to my knowledge, none of us have ever seen her play. Her 3 point % alone is encouraging because that stat usually only improves, the rest we have no clue. Is she fast enough, does she play tough d, dribble/pass well, basketball IQ? --- we do not know.

That's not accurate. I (and I'm sure others) saw her play in the state tournament the last couple of years, and her team actually won it in 18. I'd be lying if I said I remember much about her because (a) none of the players on that roster really stood out head and shoulders above the rest, and (b) I would have predicted hell froze over before I ever imagined any of those players would be offered a scholarship by Tennessee...

VN Store

Back