Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

You’re asking the impossible if you expect him to be tbh. You can’t say “Mr HS qb, this is the SEC. That is the Florida Gators and this is your new team. Now go out there and score tds!” Without any practice or chemistry with his teammates. Instead you gotta give the kid credit that he nearly did.
i like his chances more after a year in the weightroom to be able to muster the hits he's gonna take as a runner. he gets hit now, it could put him out for a while. plus it gives him time to adjust to the college game

i dont like it but, many 'experts' have said if Vols want to steal one JG has to do it.

We're in a **** pile boys. Only thing to do is purge, reload, and get better.

Well, upon further review-----why in he hades did Guarantano get offered a scholarship??
What exactly is SEC recruit worthy of those stats?

But he did have a lot of offers--including from LSU, Bama, and Clemson.....were they committable??
Because high school stats don't necessarily mean a lot for some guys. There are high ceiling QBs out there running the Veer. There are weak armed QBs putting up stats running AIr Raid. JG clearly has the measurables and looks good making throws. It's just hard to know sometimes how kids will react when the game speeds up. It's why a limited guy like Casey Clausen succeeds but guys like Jonathan Crompton drive you crazy

Anyone remember the Brent Schaefer vs Erik Ainge discussions? Both played to my recollection and Ainge won out. How about Peyton vs Brandon Stewart? Play them both and see who has the light come on for them. Tn has been here before but it seems the coach is unwilling to have competition. All these young guys made some mistakes but man we had some fun watching them grow. Remember the Ainge meltdown at LSU and Rick Clausen taking over?

So, you're essentially saying that Pruitt is mulling this type of thought process over in his head -- 'after 3+ years of game and practice video tape (plus plenty of video evidence that the OL, on occasion, is giving sufficient pass protection) , let's keep hoping to see if the lights come on for JG.'

i like his chances more after a year in the weightroom to be able to muster the hits he's gonna take as a runner. he gets hit now, it could put him out for a while. plus it gives him time to adjust to the college game
I agree. Another 10-15 lbs of muscle and a year of mental development would be ideal.

Reactions: lexkyvol
against chat a lot of his passes were drops. he looked the most accurate and like he reads defense vs concept the best of the three. yeah, we all know maurer can run, but after that he's basically the same as JG. we've seen both JG (more than enough) and maurer twice now to know its not time for either. Shrout doesnt hold the ball and made good reads in his short stint vs chat. i know it was chat, but we saw maurer and jg both vs florida today and it stunk. why not shrout?
I wouldn't be shocked if he transfers back home to San Diego State,UCLA or California after the season.

If Tennessee is ever going to win again in the SEC they will have to restock at QB, we don't seem to have a winner in the bunch (I know it's early, but)
A real duel threat QB would be a boon for Tennessee about right now, one that can turn a broken play into a big gain (think Dobb's) it would also take some heat away from the Oline

Do you think that B. Mauer or JT Shrout can HIT a WIDE OPEN target????

It's not about leadership, or turnovers, or athletic ability, or attitude, etc. that EVERYONE is debating, but whether or not either of these guys can throw an ACCURATE pass to a WIDE OPEN receiver!!

Do THAT one thing... and we are MUCH better on offense than we are currently.

I don't understand why Beldar doesn't make the change and FIND OUT if they can. Chaney will dial up some good plays! He has EVERY game so far! SCORING plays that weren't executed by a QB that can't throw an accurate ball or FIND the damn receiver!

It's that simple.

It's not about leadership, or turnovers, or athletic ability, or attitude, etc. that EVERYONE is debating, but whether or not either of these guys can throw an ACCURATE pass to a WIDE OPEN receiver!!

I don't understand why Beldar doesn't make the change and FIND OUT if they can. Chaney will dial up some good plays! He has EVERY game so far! SCORING plays that weren't executed by a QB that can't throw an accurate ball or FIND the damn receiver!

It's that simple.

Accuracy can be taught, leadership cannot

Reactions: joevol33

I don't understand why Beldar doesn't make the change and FIND OUT if they can. Chaney will dial up some good plays! He HAS EVERY game so far! SCORING plays that were executed by a QB that can't throw an accurate ball or FIND the damn receiver!

It's that simple.
I think Tennessee is severely lacking in quarterback talent and they better pray that the struggles of the 2019 football team doesn't cause Harrison Bailey to change his mind about coming to Tennessee in 2020.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Anyone remember the Brent Schaefer vs Erik Ainge discussions? Both played to my recollection and Ainge won out. How about Peyton vs Brandon Stewart? Play them both and see who has the light come on for them. Tn has been here before but it seems the coach is unwilling to have competition. All these young guys made some mistakes but man we had some fun watching them grow. Remember the Ainge meltdown at LSU and Rick Clausen taking over?

Schaefer got hurt and that had a lot to do with it. Then Ainge got hurt. Then Rick Clausen closed the season with a good run of games.

Because high school stats don't necessarily mean a lot for some guys. There are high ceiling QBs out there running the Veer. There are weak armed QBs putting up stats running AIr Raid. JG clearly has the measurables and looks good making throws. It's just hard to know sometimes how kids will react when the game speeds up. It's why a limited guy like Casey Clausen succeeds but guys like Jonathan Crompton drive you crazy

Yeah....I agree... But you hope your HC and his offensive staff have enough football knowledge to cull those guys in the recruiting process--esp. at the QB position.

BTW--Tebow writes about his visit to UT when he was being recruited in his first book.
He said it was clear that Fulmer and his staff were enamored with Crompton, and hardly paid him any attention. Whoops!
He also said that he was really intrigued with Tennessee at the time.

Fulmer and Chavis also made a huge mistake by passing on Patrick Willis--a Tennessee fan and native--at LB close to that time frame.

So, Fulmer and staff definitely had a few years of faulty evaluations of talent back then.

Casey Clausen had the arm-strength and the mental capacity to read the defense and coverages.
His ability to process information and react properly--for the most part--was exponentially greater than JG.

I just wonder how many of JG's offers from the elite schools were actually committable.

Yeah....I agree... But you hope your HC and his offensive staff have enough football knowledge to cull those guys in the recruiting process--esp. at the QB position.

BTW--Tebow writes about his visit to UT when he was being recruited in his first book.
He said it was clear that Fulmer and his staff were enamored with Crompton, and hardly paid him any attention. Whoops!
He also said that he was really intrigued with Tennessee at the time.

Fulmer and Chavis also made a huge mistake by passing on Patrick Willis--a Tennessee fan and native--at LB close to that time frame.

So, Fulmer and staff definitely had a few years of faulty evaluations of talent back then.

Casey Clausen had the arm-strength and the mental capacity to read the defense and coverages.
His ability to process information and react properly--for the most part--was exponentially greater than JG.

I just wonder how many of JG's offers from the elite schools were actually committable.
The one from tOSU was committable enough to get the Ole WifeBeater all salty on Twitter when JG committed to us.

Reactions: MikeVol44
Lots of comments tonite concerning QB options. State your case using stats or provable opinion.

Start Maurer. In the Fl game our QB made 3 mistakes that cost 21 pts and gave up 3 pts. The missed throw to wide open TE cost 7 pts. The fastball to JJ cost 7 pts. The miscommunication with a wide open Calloway cost 7 pts and gave Fl short field that resulted in a field goal for 3 pts. Totally different game with play calls and different player mentality for the players in a one score game. This offense can not afford to miss any scoring opportunities. I believe the players actually played with a better effort when Maurer went in. The game was moving too fast for BM but with time to know he is starting he should settle down after a few hits.
Others?

I will state my case, as my opinion is not provable. IMHO you are correct in your assessment "the players actually played with a better effort when Maurer went in". I believe many, if not most watching the game with a "Critical eye" and not a "Blind Fan" could see that. Now, the reason(s) for that are at the heart of our team's problems. And while nothing seems Taboo on this board, discussing what is really happening between the team and JG, seems to be off-limits. It is easy to say JG is a poor leader (I'd agree), JG is an at best average passer (I'd agree, and that is being generous), ETC. But, Why is a different subject, and until that is fixed, we are not going to have a great program.

I will state my case, as my opinion is not provable. IMHO you are correct in your assessment "the players actually played with a better effort when Maurer went in". I believe many, if not most watching the game with a "Critical eye" and not a "Blind Fan" could see that. Now, the reason(s) for that are at the heart of our team's problems. And while nothing seems Taboo on this board, discussing what is really happening between the team and JG, seems to be off-limits. It is easy to say JG is a poor leader (I'd agree), JG is an at best average passer (I'd agree, and that is being generous), ETC. But, Why is a different subject, and until that is fixed, we are not going to have a great program.
wait wut?//...why is my brain farting bubbles here?

VN Store

Back