Buyout Reality

In that case, the buyout would be $50 million (5 x $10 million), since contracts are usually rolled over every year.

And even then we aren’t guaranteed wins. At the first sign of trouble: fan fired. Write the checks get em outta here.

New HC would want to bring in his own people. Sure some might be offered to stay but most will move on.
Yeah, I understand that but when you get in the money that may prevent some. That's probably a condition that would prevent alot of good coaches from coming. Looks like we are stuck with bad football for a while, most likely. Guess thats what a decade of awful business decisions will get you.

Fire Pruitt. Promote Cheney, make Tee the OC. If we are going to keep hiring coordinators, hell, let’s at least hire our own like Clemson did with Dabo and like FSU did with Jimbo. Keep continuity within the staff and system.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Fire Pruitt. Promote Cheney, make Tee the OC. If we are going to keep hiring coordinators, hell, let’s at least hire our own like Clemson did with Dabo and like FSU did with Jimbo. Keep continuity within the staff and system.
FAR JEREMY PRUITT AIGHT!

Reactions: MAD
He is 1-0 after all

It’s shocking that Pruitt would e have any sort of a buy out at all. We offered a guy the job that could t say no. Why should we have not made hi earn a buyout? But regardless...yes those are huge numbers but the annual revenue is an absolutely massive number as well. Here’s what it should come down to... Will it cost us more in lost revenue to keep the current staff in place? Simply going to a lower tier ball game relative relative to a bigger bowl game could be a difference in tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue. And we’re not going to any ball game at all. Add to that tickets that aren’t sold two home games and paraphernalia or fans or by… And a crappy team ends up costing the university upwards of 20 million a year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Instead of worrying about landing an already proven coach that UT couldn't land right now even if they wanted to, it may be time to get behind who we have and give him the space to prove himself.

This coaching Merry-Go-Round had to stop. CJP is who it landed on and I for one am fine with him doing it his way.

It was hard to digest that this could be a 1 win season, but I'm over it and am waiting to see what next year holds while watching some of his recruits build from the ashes....

Reactions: hmhawk and rltw1974
Instead of worrying about landing an already proven coach that UT couldn't land right now even if they wanted to, it may be time to get behind who we have and give him the space to prove himself.

This coaching Merry-Go-Round had to stop. CJP is who it landed on and I for one am fine with him doing it his way.

It was hard to digest that this could be a 1 win season, but I'm over it and am waiting to see what next year holds while watching some of his recruits build from the ashes....

He proved what he was as a HC week 1 man.

There is almost NO record of a successful HC starting his second season off as badly as we have. He can’t close a season good and he can’t open a season good, and from the looked of it right now, the middle of the season isn’t going to be too fun to watch either.

3 years of this shyte how wonderful

173309-0c41bda5468f974d75533de81dd0dcd0.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Some of the people on here calling for Pruitt's head either haven't thought this through or are dumb. I mean really some of you people sound like the current democratic candidates... "Tax the rich, that'll fix it" = "The rich boosters could easily fix this."

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

I don’t get some of the fans complaining about a $3M or $4M yearly contract. Lots of the same fans want to pay a “proven” coach $7-$10M a year to make sure Tenn gets a winner. Then you get stuck with a Harbaugh, Malzahn, and possibly Fisher.
The super large contracts drive up the price for average coaches. People like Pruitt can now make a million a year as a DC. You think they are coming here for even $2M to take on being a HC, no way.
I’m sure there are a couple of examples, but other than Saban and Meyer, could somebody show give me an example of paying huge money to a coach that brought a championship. Meyer was not actually paid huge money at Florida, so basically Saban.

Reactions: MAUSERWERKE
It’s shocking that Pruitt would e have any sort of a buy out at all. We offered a guy the job that could t say no. Why should we have not made hi earn a buyout?
Why could Pruitt not say no? Sure he could have said no. There will be plenty of other head coaching jobs out there.

Fulmer wanted him. Coaching buyouts are like taxes. They're ingrained into the system and aren't going away. Especially when a head coach is pursued by a team that's one of the worst in the Power 5. A buyout helps protect the coach from being blamed for previous coaching debacles. It helps to ensure a new head coach has time to work with his staff and his recruits.

Why could Pruitt not say no? Sure he could have said no. There will be plenty of other head coaching jobs out there.

Fulmer wanted him. Coaching buyouts are like taxes. They're ingrained into the system and aren't going away. Especially when a head coach is pursued by a team that's one of the worst in the Power 5. A buyout helps protect the coach from being blamed for previous coaching debacles. It helps to ensure a new head coach has time to work with his staff and his recruits.
So, if I hear you right, you’re saying a buyout is more than just a lovely parting gift?

Interesting.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He should be sitting at an arbitration table right now for milking the buyout, instead of seeking another coaching opportunity. This Bama stunt is simply an effort to stick a thumb in our eye.

I'm really surprised the UT laywers haven't brought up this fact that he hasn't tried to get a head coaching job. I'm sure that has to be in the contract some place. If it isn't then the AD needs new laywers.

VN Store

Back