Buyout Reality

rltw1974

Church Hill, TN
So the past few weeks I have read the posts on how we need to fire CJP and Staff and start over. The reality is the University simply cannot do that from a money standpoint. I am just going to use some dumb ranger math to break this down.

Butch Jones' last payment is scheduled for Feb 2021, that is 17 more months. 17x200k=$3,400,000M owed.

CJP and Staff would be owed roughly $15M if fired before Dec.

New staff and the infamous Proven P5 winner would cost anywhere from $20-25M.

I will round down Butch's cost to $3M and split the difference on new staff at $23M

3M+15M+23M=$41M............I don't care who the big boosters are, no one is going to float that cost. Love it or hate it; we are married to CJP for the next couple of years similar to when Auburn wanted to fire CGM last year. It could be worse, we could be like Texas A&M and signed a $75M guaranteed contract.

I'd like to see your contract estimations on getting a "proven P5 winner" and staff for $20M.

Reactions: OG.V83
So the past few weeks I have read the posts on how we need to fire CJP and Staff and start over. The reality is the University simply cannot do that from a money standpoint. I am just going to use some dumb ranger math to break this down.

Butch Jones' last payment is scheduled for Feb 2021, that is 17 more months. 17x200k=$3,400,000M owed.

I will round down Butch's cost to $3M and split the difference on new staff at $23M

3M+15M+23M=$41M............I don't care who the big boosters are, no one is going to float that cost. Love it or hate it; we are married to CJP for the next couple of years similar to when Auburn wanted to fire CGM last year. It could be worse, we could be like Texas A&M and signed a $75M guaranteed contract.

Those numbers....and we still owe that much to Butchy boy?
giphy.gif

I'd like to see your contract estimations on getting a "proven P5 winner" and staff for $20M.

Those numbers are conjecture at this point and reflect the estimates of most on this board. The 20-25M includes the buyouts of the new coach and staff if employed by another university.

Reactions: Carp
There should be a shoot on sight order if Jimmy Sexton trues to step foot on campus.
Either that or they just need to go ahead and give that grifter direct access to the University bank account. He shafts us every time.

Reactions: westy
I'm still in shock contracts like this are agreed upon by both parties

I will hush I know i know

It’s not his fault that he’s good at his job. You should hate the idiots agreeing to these contracts.

He!!, with all the comings and goings along with the dysfunction within the board, I have no idea who signs off on what. Then when the chit hits the fan, the standard response is...
giphy.gif

I don't know what UT can afford or not afford. What I do know is somebody did a half-a$$ job of evaluating/hiring head coaches for the football program.

Reactions: Woke and zydane47
I don't know what UT can afford or not afford. What I do know is somebody did a half-a$$ job of evaluating/hiring head coaches for the football program.

That is an absolute fact!!! It is truly a F*$!ing sad state of affairs we are currently in!!!!!!

The Vols are in for the long run now, no turning back, occupying the bottom of the SEC may become the norm for next couple of years or longer......maybe forever, God forbid!

Reactions: teeball

From my understanding Butch's buyout would drop significantly if he got a head coaching job some place. Supposedly if he doesn't get paid as much as he did here, we'd make up the difference, I believe this is why he never tried to get a HC job any place right after here. So if the rumor of him wanting the Rutgers job is true and he gets it, that'd be a help to us.

From my understanding Butch's buyout would drop significantly if he got a head coaching job some place. Supposedly if he doesn't get paid as much as he did here, we'd make up the difference, I believe this is why he never tried to get a HC job any place right after here. So if the rumor of him wanting the Rutgers job is true and he gets it, that'd be a help to us.
He should be sitting at an arbitration table right now for milking the buyout, instead of seeking another coaching opportunity. This Bama stunt is simply an effort to stick a thumb in our eye.

Lets break it down this way. A proven coach taking this job is going to have more leverage than we will.

So lets say they start out making 6-8 million. Now that proven winner is most likely at a school outside of someone like Urban Meyer. Their buyout if they leave is prolly close to 5-8 million. So now you are anywhere from 11-16 million just for head coach's buyout at their current school and starting salary.

Buying out assistants he wants from their current jobs and paying them here would easily make up the rest.

At the end of the day, Tennessee has no leverage to keep salaries low for the next head coach if we fire Pruitt in 2 seasons or less.

Amazing people can't realize this.

This is true and another reason I cant stand Butch. I always felt that he made no effort to get a higher paying job to reduce the buyout....instead wanted to shaft TN and accepted $35k per year from Bama.

I truly wonder if butch hasn’t gone for a real job as a final FU to UT. It’s either that or his agent, who I assume is Sexton, loves to screw UT over. I mean an intern at Bama? That’s poetry right there. I believe it was in his contract about he was to find some kind of employment to receive his buyouts, what a way to drain UT.

VN Store

Back