Kiffin article about UT; front page ESPN

“After a few months, one of Tennessee's most prominent boosters, Pilot Corporation founder Jim Haslam, pulled Monte Kiffin aside.
"He said, 'Listen, I like Lane a lot. I really do and think he's going to do big things here, but could you get him to zip it up a little bit?'" Monte recalled. "Well, here we are 10 years later, and he still hasn't zipped it up."”

Not going to happen, but I wish these boosters would “zip it up” and let the AD and coaches do their jobs. It’s been beatvto death on here, but I think this is one thing that makes the job less desirable.

For Kiffin, “zip it up” is a double entendre.

I was gonna say. I definitely remember the Georgia (who wasn't great that year) and South Carolina (who was ranked at the time we played them, but also was not great that year) games. I also remember the UCLA game, Ole Miss game (Dexter McCluster just scored another TD), and the beatdown from Virginia Tech in the bowl game.

People remember the past as being better than it was - that season was a roller coaster ride, and then the coaster crashed.

That Tech loss was solidified when D-Mo dropped that deep post that would have been a walk in touchdown.

I can't believe this was 10 years ago... The excitement around the program when Kiffin was here was something I haven't seen since. He made Tennessee believe in itself, from the players to the fans. That 2009 team had more fire than any of Butch, Dooley, or Pruitt's teams combined. We had an edge and I would do anything to see this years team play with that edge. Part of what is so hard to take about our recent teams and struggles is that we have seemed defeated as a fanbase and culture before we step on the field. The Kiffin year showed me a spark on and off the field that I have been craving since. I remember eating supper with ESPN on in the background and seeing Lane's face show up on the screen with the USC announcement and my heart dropped. And I genuinely feel like since then, there hasn't been any heart in the program. You can say what you want about Hamilton, Currie, Butch, Schiano, Pruitt, whoever... but I blame Kiffin more than anyone for the current state of our beloved Vols. And I'd do anything to get back to the mentality that the 2009 team had.

I’m not saying I’m for it. But, these fluff pieces can come about because somebody is working a PR angle.

They can try doing the PR face to face. They better like milkshakes.

Pretty impressive that a 1-2 team gets that kind of exposure on the ESPN site. What's the motive? Pressure Pruitt? Embarrass UT? Reunite the fans with Kiffin if things don't work out with Pruitt and/or Fulmer? I don't think Kiffin will ever return to the Hill, especially with Phil on campus, but who would have ever thought the things that have happened with UT Football over the past decade would EVER happen? Certainly not me....

I like the energy Kiffin brought to UT that year. The overall results were kinda meh (7-6), but at least we were competitive with FL and Bama... I think we were all worried he would bring NCAA investigations to UT and he wasn't worth the potential outcome. So many 'what if' thoughts around the Kiffin era.

Reactions: spyfish007 and AM64
I'll never forgot a last minute trip to watch the first game of the 2009 season against Western Ky. Booked a hotel super late that Friday night using Priceline Express deals, so I had no idea what hotel and room I'd be at. Turned out to be where Lane, staff and players were next door. I didn't even know they stayed at hotels on home game days. Ended up hitching a ride down the elevator with my wife and a friend and only Lane Kiffin. I remember being surprised by how tall he was and the fact he was sweating profusely. We exchanged a few pleasantries before they loaded up to take the Vol Walk and you could tell he was nervous as hell about a game against an obviously inferior opponent but he needed to get off on the right foot to start his tenure. It was a marked difference from the brash persona that was captured on tv.

And yes, I know...cool story bro.

I'll never forgot a last minute trip to watch the first game of the 2009 season against Western Ky. Booked a hotel super late that Friday night using Priceline Express deals, so I had no idea what hotel and room I'd be at. Turned out to be where Lane, staff and players were next door. I didn't even know they stayed at hotels on home game days. Ended up hitching a ride down the elevator with my wife and a friend and only Lane Kiffin. I remember being surprised by how tall he was and the fact he was sweating profusely. We exchanged a few pleasantries before they loaded up to take the Vol Walk and you could tell he was nervous as hell about a game against an obviously inferior opponent but he needed to get off on the right foot to start his tenure. It was a marked difference from the brash persona that was captured on tv.

And yes, I know...cool story bro.
I went to the UCLA game. We sucked!

This definatley seems like Lane trying to put some fires out and get back in the good graces of some at UT and VN. I mean he could have done this interview anytime but he does it when we are the laughing stock of CFB?

Reactions: Vol8188 and EZE
His first season with the owls was good but average after that, he would have to have a couple more good seasons under his belt before I believe a return trip to Tennessee would be possible however that would also require pruitt sucking and I hope that doesn't happen either.

His first season with the owls was good but average after that, he would have to have a couple more good seasons under his belt before I believe a return trip to Tennessee would be possible however that would also require pruitt sucking and I hope that doesn't happen either.
Not if Pruitt hires him as OC lol

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back