Kiffin article about UT; front page ESPN

I think the final quote in the article says it all:
Kiffin is convinced that the Vols would have won championships had he stayed. (Marlon) Walls agrees but was unable to avoid taking a playful shot at his former coach.
"Oh, yeah, we were going to win some championships, no doubt," Walls said. "We might have had to give some of them back, but we were going to win some."

They had a chance to beat Alabama that day and came up short. I believe tame Lane isn't as good as 2009 Lane, he was a players coach and knew how to get his kids motivated
No, I think he was new to everything, and he was exciting to say the least.

I’ll never forget how fun that year was. That South Carolina night game was one of my favorite games ever.
SC, UGA and almost Alabama were fun. Games like UCLA, Auburn, Vandy and the bowl were like dental surgery.

The SC and UGA games are two of the most surprising results I can ever remember.

“After a few months, one of Tennessee's most prominent boosters, Pilot Corporation founder Jim Haslam, pulled Monte Kiffin aside.
"He said, 'Listen, I like Lane a lot. I really do and think he's going to do big things here, but could you get him to zip it up a little bit?'" Monte recalled. "Well, here we are 10 years later, and he still hasn't zipped it up."”

Not going to happen, but I wish these boosters would “zip it up” and let the AD and coaches do their jobs. It’s been beatvto death on here, but I think this is one thing that makes the job less desirable.

SC, UGA and almost Alabama were fun. Games like UCLA, Auburn, Vandy and the bowl were like dental surgery.

The SC and UGA games are two of the most surprising results I can ever remember.

I remember Nu'keese's wildcat run to start the Auburn game. Went like 65 yards only for us to stall out and settle for FG.... That was the theme of that game.

I was gonna say. I definitely remember the Georgia (who wasn't great that year) and South Carolina (who was ranked at the time we played them, but also was not great that year) games. I also remember the UCLA game, Ole Miss game (Dexter McCluster just scored another TD), and the beatdown from Virginia Tech in the bowl game.

People remember the past as being better than it was - that season was a roller coaster ride, and then the coaster crashed.

I was gonna say. I definitely remember the Georgia (who wasn't great that year) and South Carolina (who was ranked at the time we played them, but also was not great that year) games. I also remember the UCLA game, Ole Miss game (Dexter McCluster just scored another TD), and the beatdown from Virginia Tech in the bowl game.

People remember the past as being better than it was - that season was a roller coaster ride, and then the coaster crashed.
I had forgotten about Ole Miss absolutely destroying us. That team won 7 and I think everybody agrees that was overachieving. Probably had 4 or 5 win talent level.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
“After a few months, one of Tennessee's most prominent boosters, Pilot Corporation founder Jim Haslam, pulled Monte Kiffin aside.
"He said, 'Listen, I like Lane a lot. I really do and think he's going to do big things here, but could you get him to zip it up a little bit?'" Monte recalled. "Well, here we are 10 years later, and he still hasn't zipped it up."”

Not going to happen, but I wish these boosters would “zip it up” and let the AD and coaches do their jobs. It’s been beatvto death on here, but I think this is one thing that makes the job less desirable.

I think the zipper he was referring to was not his mouth but a little lower on his body.
Just ask Heather H.

A question: Is this Kiffin getting a more palatable version of the story out there and lobbying for the job?

I think he would say yes 10000% if ever offered a chance to come back here. Obviously Fulmer is here for a long time so it will be his say. However, I would love to know the reasons that aren't 10 years old to legit argue against him. I ask that because he coached here and was an OC for Saban and then moved to FAU. Obviously, we wouldn't want a coach to come to Tennessee from somewhere like FAU, but would be interesting to see the case on paper against him that are current (Last 3-4 years) instead of times when the kids he would be recruiting were 7-8 years old when he was at UT.

I've always wanted a comeback tour with him at Tennessee, but I've also said there has to be a contract that protects Tennessee more than it rewards Kiffin.

VN Store

Back