Could Pruitt survive a 0-12 season?

Considering the closing this staff made in recruiting, the impact of last year's 5-7 season didn't make negative impacts.

Even more so you look at guys like Gray and Henry T's comments this week about the current staff.

Once again, I am saying the first year for Pruitt wasn't going to have a big negative impact on recruiting. It didn't and it won't.

And people who aren't glued to the program like the fans aren't going to cherry pick two games to end the season from a coach's first year.

It is not rocket science.
Not the point....it was your assertion. Where is YOUR proof. I’m just holding you to your own standard.

It’s an easy answer...just say it’s conjecture. All of it.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Not the point....it was your assertion. Where is YOUR proof. I’m just holding you to your own standard.

It’s an easy answer...just say it’s conjecture. All of it.

Where is what proof?

I said one bad season is all these coaches have to show for the last 10 or so years for their career.

Pruitt has only been on winners as a D1 college coach.
Chaney outside of his last 2 years at UT and some at PItt has been on winners. Even on the losers, he had prolific offenses.
Tee has been on UK, Good USC, Bad USC, and now here. His recruiting level has been great and only gets better. His development continues to churn out.

When you look at the body of work for these coaches, they are for the first facing adversity for the first time or the first time in a long time.....

Recruits see this. They are going to judge whether a coach has it or not based on bad season. That is what I said, that is what I will say......

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
He wouldn't survive 0-12, 1-11, or 2-10. The buyout is steep. Having 60k paid attendance for home games in 2020 is an even bigger cost.

The "good" thing for Pruitt is that Tennessee played well enough against BYU to beat a middling SEC team(s), also perhaps UAB. Perhaps we see some marginal improvement over the course of the season from that BYU performance. So say you beat UTC, UAB, and catch Vandy or Kentucky or Mizzou on a not great day. The potential is there to win up to 5 games, a repeat of last year, and he absolutely would survive that. I see no way we make a bowl this year.

Last edited:
The sad thing is we probably have fans hoping we lose so we can fire him
Hard to hope for a loss in any specific game, especially a soul crushing loss to an FCS program. If I had to choose between 1-11 and a change or 2-10 and no change with no other choices available, I know what I'd choose.

He could survive multiple 0-12 seasons as long as Neyland remains 80 percent full. Its proven fact that is what is important.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Where is what proof?

I said one bad season is all these coaches have to show for the last 10 or so years for their career.

Chaney outside of his last 2 years at UT and some at PItt has been on winners. Even on the losers, he had prolific offenses.
Tee has been on UK, Good USC, Bad USC, and now here. His recruiting level has been great and only gets better. His development continues to churn out.

When you look at the body of work for these coaches, they are for the first facing adversity for the first time or the first time in a long time.....

Recruits see this. They are going to judge whether a coach has it or not based on bad season. That is what I said, that is what I will say......
I said they have bad season to show...and you asserted year one was a throw away year....year zero again.

This proof...
Name one recruit or recruit's parent that has visibly spoke out about the "year zero" narrative in regards to new coaches taking over programs.

I'll wait.

Your the one who asserted that the concept of “year zero” was inconsequential to anyone but the fans. You asked that I prove the recruits cared about it. I’m asking you to prove they don’t....with something other than conjecture.

Reactions: CJBlaze
The sad thing is we probably have fans hoping we lose so we can fire him
I think you'll see that more next year if he continues to struggle, not this year. I think everybody but our most crazed fans know that you can't really fire him this year unless something truly disastrous occurs, like 0-12 or 1-11.

Where is what proof?

I completely disagree!
I think you give the recruits way too much credit. They flip flop as fast as their smart phones can refresh. We have already seen one jump ship. Bottom line is as a whole most want to plug into a winning team. If you think this season will not negatively effect recruiting I think you are either naive or on the payroll.

I completely disagree!
I think you give the recruits way too much credit. They flip flop as fast as their smart phones can refresh. We have already seen one jump ship. Bottom line is as a whole most want to plug into a winning team. If you think this season will not negatively effect recruiting I think you are either naive or on the payroll.

lol a 3 star ranked in the 700’s flipped to Louisville. Louisville, not UF or Bama or Clemson or OU. Big whoop.

I said they have bad season to show...and you asserted year one was a throw away year....year zero again.

This proof...

Your the one who asserted that the concept of “year zero” was inconsequential to anyone but the fans. You asked that I prove the recruits cared about it. I’m asking you to prove they don’t....with something other than conjecture.

This was my response to one person talking how a 2-10 season guarantees the class falling apart.

Aka one bad season

You're assuming a bunch of coaches who have year in and year out showed they can recruit against anyone nationally will some how let one bad season impact their ability......

I think I will go on the side of history.

Who's this "we" you speak of? Got a mouse in your pocket or is this conjecture as well since that's your mojo in this thread?
“We” being the fans. We have the power collectively. I haven’t been to a game, or spent an Orange dime since a year prior to us finally letting CBJ go.

One guy like me makes no difference except to my self....”We” could make a difference in very short order however.

This was my response to one person talking how a 2-10 season guarantees the class falling apart.

Aka one bad season
And I said they would have 2 bad years if we keep on this trajectory. You asserted that the first year was a throw away year. You asserted that the players and their parents don’t care about year one, and asked that I prove they do.

This should not be this hard.

Title of this thread needs changed.
It needs to read SHOULD CJP survive an 0-12 season...not could.

He can, and will if it comes to it, survive an 0-12 season and the AD will pin it on poor recruiting in prior cycles, just now getting JPs type of players, underclassmen are buying in, etc.

Now the question: SHOULD he survive an 0-12 season?
ABSOLUTELY NO...not a coach in football should survive that unless it his first year in a resurrected or promoted program.

And I said they would have 2 bad years if we keep on this trajectory. You asserted that the first year was a throw away year. You asserted that the players and their parents don’t care about year one, and asked that I prove they do.

This should not be this hard.

That would mean 2019 and next year would be bad. 5-7 for a first time coach with 2 upset wins is not a bad season.

That would mean 2019 and next year would be bad. 5-7 for a first time coach with 2 upset wins is not a bad season.
No...that’s your assertion. At UT, and pretty much anywhere else, a less than .500 record, and no bowl is a bad season. 2018 was bad, and NOT year zero. If we continue trending the way we are 2019 will be bad as well.

Word games and baseless assertions about what recruits may, or may not, think about it don’t change that fact.

No...that’s your assertion. At UT, and pretty much anywhere else, a less than .500 record, and no bowl is a bad season. 2018 was bad, and NOT year zero. If we continue trending the way we are 2019 will be bad as well.

Word games and baseless assertions about what recruits may, or may not, think about it don’t change that fact.

5-7 with 2 upset wins for a first year coach after a 4-8 season under a 5 year coach is hardly a bad season. After all, recruits commit to coaches not programs. To say last year and this year totaling 8-10 wins are two bad years in a row is foolishness

And since recruiting didn’t fall off but improved after year 1 with Pruitt, there’s nothing that says the 5-7 first year under him negatively impacted recruiting which is what this discussion has been about.

Last edited:
Probably not.. That's not going to happen though. He'll get 4 or 5 wins out of this year and the "Next year is our Year" guys will be back out in full force. Yeah, hope ole Bailey is all that and bag of chips. I'd be nervous if i were pretty much coaching for my job breaking in a true freshman QB. Something needs to change this year to give some people hope or next will be a make or break deal for Mr Pruitt. Wouldn't want to be him next year if this one keeps going this way.

5-7 with 2 upset wins for a first year coach after a 4-8 season under a 5 year coach is hardly a bad season. After all, recruits commit to coaches not programs. To say last year and this year totaling 8-10 wins are two bad years in a row is foolishness

And since recruiting didn’t fall off but improved after year 1 with Pruitt, there’s nothing that says the 5-7 first year under him negatively impacted recruiting which is what this discussion has been about.
Pruitt, a known commodity as a recruiter, had playing time to sell. That is why recruiting did not take a hit from a bad year. I guarantee CJP think 5-7 is a bad year. He had a good effort recruiting in spite of a bad year. That’s a testament to him.

The problem is not the 1st bad year...it’s the cumulative effect of a second bad year when you combine the two, should that end up being the case. And yes, it will be viewed as 2 bad years, and not 1 with a throw away year.

I’d be shocked if they lost to UTC, even more than Ga State. I think UT wins in a blowout.
They may win in a blowout. But sorry if they lost it wouldn’t shock me in the least. Lol, after seeing the first two games I don’t know how anyone could be shocked in the least if they lose Saturday. I think most prolly think they will win, but wouldn’t be shocked if they lost. How could they be?

VN Store

Back