For those who want a coaching change

4-5 years? Wow. That should just about kill off any remaining support for the program.
You don’t change culture in a year and one game. It’s so moronic to run someone off after two years. This board has turned into nothing but negativity. I know a lot of people who simply don’t come on here anymore because it’s nothing but bitching. If you think this doesn’t have some effect on recruiting and current players you have your head in the sand. It may be 5% of what shapes someone’s opinion of the school but it will effect everyone. 4 years is what every new coach should get. By then it’s your guys. If you suck it up then, it’s tine to go! I heard on the radio the buyout is like 10 million. This is a state school, you can’t pay big bucks to a new coach and pay a huge buyout! I know people on here just think we can do whatever and money is no problem. If we were private and still pulling the crowds and apparel sales we could do whatever we want. Sorry to put some real life into the board.

Reactions: ecs4dvols
You don’t change culture in a year and one game. It’s so moronic to run someone off after two years. This board has turned into nothing but negativity. I know a lot of people who simply don’t come on here anymore because it’s nothing but bitching. If you think this doesn’t have some effect on recruiting and current players you have your head in the sand. It may be 5% of what shapes someone’s opinion of the school but it will effect everyone. 4 years is what every new coach should get. By then it’s your guys. If you suck it up then, it’s tine to go! I heard on the radio the buyout is like 10 million. This is a state school, you can’t pay big bucks to a new coach and pay a huge buyout! I know people on here just think we can do whatever and money is no problem. If we were private and still pulling the crowds and apparel sales we could do whatever we want. Sorry to put some real life into the board.

I disagree. I think the culture has changed. Unfortunately it appears to have gotten worse.

Stopped reading when I hit “nobody wanted.” Pretty sure we could’ve landed Mike Leach..
Yeah, we possibly could have gotten Mike Leach who was= 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 in his first 3 years where's he's at now. By those standards we can fire him before he starts. The fawning over Mike Leach really is absurd. Leach just replaced Gruden on the insane-o-meter scale. Leach is 49-40 at Wash. St --my god how'd did we miss him???

Reactions: Lurker
Yep, the revolt happened and the fans got control and this happened. All over every news outlet in Knoxville and around the country. It angered the one person we wanted to get rid of and he began moving pieces. He fired Davenport and him and his hand puppets now control the BOT. Somewhere out there he’s sitting back saying I told you so and is waiting to throw it in Fulmers face. If it gets bad enough, he will flex his muscle and force his hand and Fulmer will have zero choice. He’ll get the man he wants and reign over football once again. If he fires Fulmer we might as well write off the program all together

Good reasoning, and conceivable, and hope it doesn't play out this way ...

Yeah, we possibly could have gotten Mike Leach who was= 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 in his first 3 years where's he's at now. By those standards we can fire him before he starts. The fawning over Mike Leach really is absurd. Leach just replaced Gruden on the insane-o-meter scale. Leach is 49-40 at Wash. St --my god how'd did we miss him???

Yep. Anyone can go to Lubbock and Pullman and win national championships. Easy jobs, right?

A head coach who has actually rebuilt two programs in complete disarray is far better than a lifetime assistant who has never experienced a rebuilding process.

This was a case of a massive amount of butt-hurt overcoming common sense, leading to a hire that never should have been made.

The advantage Leach had over Pruitt is that he has been in the mess in situations that are some of the most difficult to win at and developed successful programs. That is not fawning. That is fact.

Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
As for me and house, we're with you. Go Vols!

How’d he do last year? How has his team started out 2019? No one expects the vols to win 8-9 games year 1 or even 2. Hopeful sure but we all know the mess the program is in. But Gdamn, get your ass handed to you by Georgia State???? Unacceptable doesn’t begin to touch it.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Hear me out! 2 words: clone Saban. At the UT Bama game somebody will extract a small amount of stem cells (should be easy to do) and in 25-30 years after raising him on the Big Orange- KABLAMO! We’re back on top!

Reactions: JohnnyJava
A lot of people wanted Mike Leach. Fulmer didn't. Too big of an ego to hire somebody who might still a little the Limelight from him.

I'm really not sure if that's the case. I really think Philip just wants what's best for the University. He looks at Mike Leach like a mad scientists instead of a professor. If that makes sense. I think he really went after Jeremy pruitt because he saw a little of himself in Jeremy. But what the hell do I know?

I mean are you okay with someone who took over a rebuilding job and went 12-25 in their first 3 seasons with two 3-9 records?

How can you run out of patience in 14 games with Pruitt but be willing to put up with Leach who would need 3 years minimum to build the roster around his offense?
I'm ok with someone who can consistently win at absolute crap schools. The fans at Tech would love to have Leach back. That's a fact. WSU fans would be crushed if Leach left. That's a fact. I'm willing to bet that Leach could perform well with UT's talent. He certainly performed well as an OC when he had Oklahoma's talent. He didn't need "3 years minimum" to get Kentucky's offense humming. He didn't need 3 years to get Oklahoma's offense humming. He didn't need 3 years to get TTU's offense humming, so what is this fixation on WSU? WSU is arguably the toughest place to win at in the Pac 12. He's built a contender there recruiting to no facilities and a 33,000 seat stadium. There is no recruiting base. To not acknowledge that there is a vast difference between the ability of a good coach to win at UT vs WSU is willful ignorance.

Hear me out! 2 words: clone Saban. At the UT Bama game somebody will extract a small amount of stem cells (should be easy to do) and in 25-30 years after raising him on the Big Orange- KABLAMO! We’re back on top!
C'mon man! That wouldn't work cause clones don't have souls. Oh, wait...

I'm really not sure if that's the case. I really think Philip just wants what's best for the University. He looks at Mike Leach like a mad scientists instead of a professor. If that makes sense. I think he really went after Jeremy pruitt because he saw a little of himself in Jeremy. But what the hell do I know?
If coach Bryant took the job, some would say he drinks bourbon, smokes continually, curses, cheats, chaises the ladies, Gamble's, etc... He was an ultimate winner. Vol fans would still not be satisfied.

Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
What do you mean nobody wanted the job? Doeren, Leach, and he who should not be named wanted the job. All Doeren is doing is winning games at NC State with supposed less talent. Same with Leach in Pullman.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I'm ok with someone who can consistently win at absolute crap schools. The fans at Tech would love to have Leach back. That's a fact. WSU fans would be crushed if Leach left. That's a fact. I'm willing to bet that Leach could perform well with UT's talent. He certainly performed well as an OC when he had Oklahoma's talent. He didn't need "3 years minimum" to get Kentucky's offense humming. He didn't need 3 years to get Oklahoma's offense humming. He didn't need 3 years to get TTU's offense humming, so what is this fixation on WSU? WSU is arguably the toughest place to win at in the Pac 12. He's built a contender there recruiting to no facilities and a 33,000 seat stadium. There is no recruiting base. To not acknowledge that there is a vast difference between the ability of a good coach to win at UT vs WSU is willful ignorance.

Yet he has a cupcake of schedule year in and out with no serious OOC games and doesn’t have to compete all that hard in terms of conference recruiting.

Case in point- Tennessee could have a Top 15 class any given year, but still be around middle of the pack in the SEC Recruiting Rankings.

And once again, Leach would be coming here as coach not OC. Why the patience for him to give 3 years but not Pruitt who already has a great staff in place?

The goal is to return to competing for conference titles. Not an occasional 8-9 win regular season

Reactions: Lurker
We just lost to Georgia St who the next week lost to Furman..Furman..

CJP is in over his head and we couldnt possibly pick a less than ready to be a HC.

Not that it really matters because there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the GS loss, but you are wrong. Georgia State beat Furman in a shoot out 48-42.

I think we will know in 2 more years if he is the man or not. You need more than 1 year and 2 games from what he inherited. On the other hand it doesn't take 5 to see where your going either. I think in 2 more years from today we will realize that Pruitt is indeed the man for the job. Until then, at least get behind him for the season, demanding coaching changes now is stupid. GBO!!!!!

Yet he has a cupcake of schedule year in and out with no serious OOC games and doesn’t have to compete all that hard in terms of conference recruiting.

Case in point- Tennessee could have a Top 15 class any given year, but still be around middle of the pack in the SEC Recruiting Rankings.

And once again, Leach would be coming here as coach not OC. Why the patience for him to give 3 years but not Pruitt who already has a great staff in place?

The goal is to return to competing for conference titles. Not an occasional 8-9 win regular season

Well, I’m not part of the fire-Pruitt-now crowd. In my book, he gets three years to show he has us going in the right direction. Not even to reach the destination, just the look and feel that he has us going in the right direction.

But you are seriously underestimating what Leach has done. What he has done is more comparable to what James Franklin did at Vandy, but better. Penn State had the smarts to understand that Franklin could do better at PSU than Vandy. Our decision makers, and fans like you, don’t grasp that winning at WSU and TTU is orders of magnitude more difficult than winning at UT. That the ceiling for someone winning 8 or 9 at WSU is not 8 or 9 at UT (by the way Leach is coming off an 11 win season and has won 8 or more games 10 out of his 17 coaching years at crap schools). Leach doesn’t have a big time gig because he is odd, not because he’s not an outstanding coach.

VN Store

Back