JG Stats Pre-Mizzou Injury vs Post-Mizzou Injury

DiderotsGhost

This is an interesting comparison. For those that don't remember, JG got injured during the Mizzou game last year in the 1st Quarter. He came back for the Vanderbilt game. Here are his stats pre-injury versus post-injury:

Pre-Injury

Completion Rate: 63.5%
YPA: 7.77
TDs: 15
INTs: 4
Attempts per INT: 89.0
INT Modified YPA: 7.21

Post-Injury

Completion Rate: 57.7%
YPA: 6.45
TDs: 5
INTs: 3
Attempts per INT: 32.3
INT Modified YPA: 4.91

Note that bottom 2 metrics may be unfamiliar to most. The first is simply the number of pass attempts per interceptions thrown. The second is a custom metric I created called "Interception Modified Yards per Attempt", which attempts to take YPA and then adjust for the impact of INTs. On this particular metric, JG was a top 4 SEC QB last season. Since that Mizzou game, he's one of the worst in the SEC.

These stats are more surprising when you consider that the level of competition in the "post-injury" stats is much weaker (Vandy, GaState, BYU) than in the "pre-injury" stats. Also, the team surrounding him has played better in 2 of those 3 games (BYU, Ga State); and he got bailed out of INTs by great plays on the offense a few times (e.g. the Jauan Jennings catches).

Hoping he can get his mind straight in this Chattanooga game. JG has never been spectacular, but his "pre-injury" version would likely be 2-0 right now.

Last edited:
JG has never been a good QB

This. I also thought a lot did have to do with his offensive line.

But, JG has been best throwing check downs and pop flys down the sideline that an athlete like Callaway goes up and gets.

But a lot of his numbers are what I refer to as Blake Bortles numbers. And that is, numbers that are put up after the game is over. A great example is the 69 yards and TD he threw on the final drive against Georgia State.

If you look back and take those numbers away from him and look at his numbers up through the point at which the game was still in doubt, it’s not going to be better than to many other folks playing the position

This is an interesting comparison. For those that don't remember, JG got injured during the Mizzou game last year in the 1st Quarter. He came back for the Vanderbilt game. Here are his stats pre-injury versus post-injury:

Pre-Injury

Completion Rate: 63.5%
YPA: 7.77
TDs: 15
INTs: 4
Attempts per INT: 89.0
INT Modified YPA: 7.21

Post-Injury

Completion Rate: 57.7%
YPA: 6.45
TDs: 5
INTs: 3
Attempts per INT: 32.3
INT Modified YPA: 4.91

Note that bottom 2 metrics may be unfamiliar to most. The first is simply the number of pass attempts per interceptions thrown. The second is a custom metric I created called "Interception Modified Yards per Attempt", which attempts to take YPA and then adjust for the impact of INTs. On this particular metric, JG was a top 4 SEC QB last season. Since that Mizzou game, he's one of the worst in the SEC.

These stats are more surprising when you consider that the level of competition in the "post-injury" stats is much weaker (Vandy, GaState, BYU) than in the "pre-injury" stats. Also, the team surrounding him has played better in 2 of those 3 games (BYU, Ga State); and he got bailed out of INTs by great plays on the offense a few times (e.g. the Jauan Jennings catches).

Hoping he can get his mind straight in this Chattanooga game. JG has never been spectacular, but his "pre-injury" version would likely be 2-0 right now.
I try and forget anything in relation to JG. Tough as nails just not a leader or any good.

But, JG has been best throwing check downs and pop flys down the sideline that an athlete like Callaway goes up and gets.

But a lot of his numbers are what I refer to as Blake Bortles numbers. And that is, numbers that are put up after the game is over. A great example is the 69 yards and TD he threw on the final drive against Georgia State.

If you look back and take those numbers away from him and look at his numbers up through the point at which the game was still in doubt, it’s not going to be better than to many other folks playing the position
Oh, just what we needed. Some weirdo Gator trolling our board incessantly telling us how bad our QB is. We know! So beat it.

You can analyze his performance till the cows come home but the bottom line is that he is not an SEC-caliber quarterback. He cannot read and react quickly enough. It would be better for all if he would transfer or change positions ala Hurd.
Everyone who has watched him play (with few exceptions) from the TV analyst to the casual fan can see that he stinks as a QB. He can throw the football with great velocity and that's it.
JMHO

maybe that's why he always gets good practice reports.. He knows he isn't going to get hit. He took a ton of blindside hits last year. it's not surprising there are negative lasting effects. He is a great kid but at this point I don't see much downside to letting one of the other Qbs try their hand. When the competition steps up and the rush really starts coming, I don't see JG getting any better. So if we are going to lose anyway, it doesn't really matter who is Qb. Let them get experience. JG has taken us about as far as he can.

Reactions: savannahfan
The Guarantano family must be associated with the Mafia. Only logical explanation why he is STILL the starting QB for our beloved Vols!

Reactions: VolForLife83
The kid is tough and I respect him for all the hard hits he has taken and then got right back up. Those hits may have taken a toll on him mentally to cause him to be as bad as he is now but he was NEVER a good QB IMO.

Reactions: RanMac

He reminds me of Franks. There I feel better too.

Saying JG sucks: 1) isn't true and 2) doesn't add anything to the discussion. He's an okay/average QB who I think, given his physical abilities and obvious effort, should be more effective. To me, he seems to play very slowly even after several years at UT.

I don't think JG's deficit is his arm strength or his toughness. He has both. I also hear he is a very smart guy. To me, it appears that he may process visual information slowly leading to missing (not seeing) open receivers, very late and unnecessarily hot throws into coverage, or worse, never making a throw at all and getting destroyed again and again.

If his decision making is slow because of fear of making a mistake that should be fixed pretty easily. I think of Crompton as a guy who seemed to develop a quicker pace of play with coaching. On the other hand, if he is simply not able to visually analyze the complexities of the field fast enough for some reason, he may always have trouble achieving a high level of QB play without an extraordinary amount of OL protection.

Saying JG sucks: 1) isn't true and 2) doesn't add anything to the discussion. He's an okay/average QB who I think, given his physical abilities and obvious effort, should be more effective. To me, he seems to play very slowly even after several years at UT.

I don't think JG's deficit is his arm strength or his toughness. He has both. I also hear he is a very smart guy. To me, it appears that he may process visual information slowly leading to missing (not seeing) open receivers, very late and unnecessarily hot throws into coverage, or worse, never making a throw at all and getting destroyed again and again.

If his decision making is slow because of fear of making a mistake that should be fixed pretty easily. I think of Crompton as a guy who seemed to develop a quicker pace of play with coaching. On the other hand, if he is simply not able to visually analyze the complexities of the field fast enough for some reason, he may always have trouble achieving a high level of QB play without an extraordinary amount of OL protection.

Go listen to last weeks "Big Orange Sunday" from coach Mathews. He calls this "Football IQ" and he says pretty plainly that he does not believe that JG has football IQ. I agree with coach Mathews. I like JG as a player, he is tough, has arm strength and can make all the throws but he is slow on the reads.

When the leader doesn't win, the team stops following
The problem is I don't think he is a leader. Not a knock on the guy, very few people are true leaders and to be a QB AND a leader is a must to be successful in the sport of football. Maybe he is a leader in the locker room, I have no idea. But on the football field, he is not and the football team reminds me of a ship with no rudder.

Go listen to last weeks "Big Orange Sunday" from coach Mathews. He calls this "Football IQ" and he says pretty plainly that he does not believe that JG has football IQ. I agree with coach Mathews. I like JG as a player, he is tough, has arm strength and can make all the throws but he is slow on the reads.

That's my point, but the question is why? He simply doesn't appear to see or analyze the field very quickly. I'm quite sure someone has already told him to speed up the clock and I can't believe he holds the ball so long because he likes being destroyed and criticized by fans who could never perform at his level. If its a perceptual or processing problem, maybe he can get some help. H*ll, I'm not a cognitive psychologist but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express one time....

You are spot on.
To respond:
He will always be too slow analyzing. (at least for this football program in the time left to him)
"He who hesitates is lose."

VN Store

Back