The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history (UT x2)

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Tennessee is on the list twice.

35. 1998 Tennessee (13-0)
Titles:
BCS
Coach: Phillip Fulmer
Led by: QB Tee Martin, WR Peerless Price, LB Al Wilson
What to know: A year after losing quarterback Peyton Manning to the NFL, the Volunteers defeated six ranked opponents, including No. 2 Florida State in the first BCS National Championship, to win their first national title since 1951. Tennessee went unbeaten in the SEC for the first time since 1967, after ending a five-game losing streak to rival Florida.

100. 1938 Tennessee (11-0)
Titles:
None (TCU won AP)
Coach: Robert Neyland
Led by: End Bowden Wyatt, back George Cafego, lineman Bob Suffridge
What to know: The Volunteers found themselves second in the final AP poll. Tennessee allowed 16 points all season against a schedule that included no ranked regular-season opponents. The Vols blanked No. 5 Oklahoma 17-0 in the Orange Bowl.

The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history

Tennessee is on the list twice.

35. 1998 Tennessee (13-0)
Titles:
BCS
Coach: Phillip Fulmer
Led by: QB Tee Martin, WR Peerless Price, LB Al Wilson
What to know: A year after losing quarterback Peyton Manning to the NFL, the Volunteers defeated six ranked opponents, including No. 2 Florida State in the first BCS National Championship, to win their first national title since 1951. Tennessee went unbeaten in the SEC for the first time since 1967, after ending a five-game losing streak to rival Florida.

100. 1938 Tennessee (11-0)
Titles:
None (TCU won AP)
Coach: Robert Neyland
Led by: End Bowden Wyatt, back George Cafego, lineman Bob Suffridge
What to know: The Volunteers found themselves second in the final AP poll. Tennessee allowed 16 points all season against a schedule that included no ranked regular-season opponents. The Vols blanked No. 5 Oklahoma 17-0 in the Orange Bowl.

The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history
That 38 team was named NCs by 5 of the 8 selectors. The AP was in its infancy. “None” beside Titles is inaccurate.

Miami is my 2nd team and I'd put that 2001 team against any ahead of it on the list

Where is the '39 unscored-upon regular season team? Really?
I agree. How can a team who was unbeaten, untied, and unscored on not be one of the greates ever. Back then bowl games were not considered to be anything other than a reward for the teams selected to play in them. Today they determine who is the National Champ.

That 38 team was named NCs by 5 of the 8 selectors. The AP was in its infancy. “None” beside Titles is inaccurate.
Then we should count it. That’s what Alabama does. As long as 1 sports writer crowned them then they count it.

Yeah I saw that article. Click bait and nothing else. The 51 team should be there. The 39 team should be there and above the 38 and 98 teams. If they researched this poorly for the Vols, they probably researched poorly across the board.

Reactions: kcvols1
1939 season not on here. Which it should be considering we was ranked by multiple sports writers to be #1

I agree it's odd. That 39 team did lose the Rose Bowl to USC. Then again, the 67 team lost to OK in the Orange Bowl.

Not sure what's up there.

I agree it's odd. That 39 team did lose the Rose Bowl to USC. Then again, the 67 team lost to OK in the Orange Bowl.

Not sure what's up there.
But back then the final polls was released before the bowl games was played and crowing a national champ before post season play.

But back then the final polls was released before the bowl games was played and crowing a national champ before post season play.

Right, which makes including the 67 team, with one regular season loss, over the 39 team, with no regular season points allowed, all the more strange.

Right, which makes including the 67 team, with one regular season loss, over the 39 team, with no regular season points allowed, all the more strange.

No major poll had UT at #1 in '67. Litkenhous or something like that had UT at #1. USC was the NC according to the major polls.

Going unscored upon wasn't unheard of back then. Duke did it in '38 and lost to USC 7-3 in the Rose Bowl. I think UT was the last team to do it in '39.

They can rank the 1998 Tennessee team wherever they want to but that group of guys just flat out refused to lose and I wouldn't be afraid to see them play any team on that list.

Reactions: rgvol
Who were these "sports writers?" The AP picked A&M.
Lol. The AP seriously? I’m take it since your Bama writer you a Bama fan. Don’t talk about claiming naitonal titles that are not recognized by the NCAA or the A.P. how many titles do Bama have that’s not recognized by the NCAA where they crowned a different team. What about that 1941 team where y’all went 9-2 and claim a national title and finished what 3rd or 4th in the SEC. come on

Lol. The AP seriously? I’m take it since your Bama writer you a Bama fan. Don’t talk about claiming naitonal titles that are not recognized by the NCAA or the A.P.

If you are going to claim that there were "sports writers" who "picked" UT as national champion, then it seems like you should be able to point out who those sports writers are. Given that there are two polls in which sports writers participate, the AP and the FWAA, and given that the FWAA didn't exist in 1939, it is a tad confusing to point to "sports writers" when the AP picked someone else.

how many titles do Bama have that’s not recognized by the NCAA where they crowned a different team. What about that 1941 team where y’all went 9-2 and claim a national title and finished what 3rd or 4th in the SEC. come on

Only 2 of Bama's 17 claims weren't awarded by a selector the NCAA considers consensus: 1930 (which is a decent claim) and 1941 (which isn't).

Last edited:
No major poll had UT at #1 in '67. Litkenhous or something like that had UT at #1. USC was the NC according to the major polls.

UT lost opener at UCLA, ran regular season table.
USC lost in November to unranked Oregon State.
UT is NC.

VN Store

Back