Could Pruitt survive a 0-12 season?

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I'll leave it here. SIAP. The buyout for our current coaching staff would be $20M. Add to that what we owe Butch through 2021, PLUS whatever salaries we'd owe the new coaches. I'm not in charge of UT financing, but it doesn't seem feasible to let him go this year.

It would be terrible hole to have dug for himself, but my opinion is that he will not be fired under any circumstances for the results we are seeing this season. I fully expect him to be the coach through the 2020 season. Now if the team starts the 2020 season as terribly as it has started this season, something might happen. I just feel like Fulmer will be very reluctant to not give Pruitt every chance. And, if doesn't have a can't miss coach waiting in the wings (and he doesn't) what good would it do anyway? This is at least a 4 year rebuild. If we let Pruitt go after this season, even if we go winless, I think you can forget TN football for a long, long time. No reputable coach would want the job. Would be better IMHO to let Pruitt try to stabilize the program (he is failing at that thusfar, admittedly) and recruit a better roster. Then, if he isn't getting it done in the W-L department, at least TN will be a more attractive job in the next coaching search.

I admit I am one of the people that think you can't get rid of Pruitt after two years but as he appears to be taking the program to depths unknown we should not think any coach should be kept around with those type of results. 5-7 would've been a disappointment at the start of the year but Pruitt is going to have to overachieve the rest of the season just to reach that goal.

I have felt this is a 3 year rebuild at least but I didn't expect any coach to have a 4 win Butch like season. I thought that was the basement and competent coaching could get us to 5 wins. Well he did last year and that is why this year is so disappointing.

Reactions: CJBlaze
I can't imagine he'd get the chance. I'd argue you could fire him with cause for losing to Georgia State. Let alone losing to UTC as well. The at cause portion of his contract simply states embarrassing the university as one of the causes. He did that losing to GSU and it would be worse with a UTC loss.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Impossible! If he starts 0-3, Phillip Fulmer will do the right thing and coach this team himself. At that point I think it’s possible we finish 10-3. Will be sweating come playoff selection. But hopefully the committee won’t put much stock in the games Pruitt coached
Lol, that is the funniest thing I have read in a while...and I have read some crazy **** on here since the Ga.State ass whipping. There isn’t a coach alive or dead that could get 5 wins out of this team much less 10. I hope you were being sarcastic, because if not I am worried for you. Holy chit.
And in the famous words of Jim Mora... playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Are you serious?

Reactions: CJBlaze
Lol, that is the funniest thing I have read in a while...and I have read some crazy **** on here since the Ga.State ass whipping. There isn’t a coach alive or dead that could get 5 wins out of this team much less 10. I hope you were being sarcastic, because if not I am worried for you. Holy chit.
And in the famous words of Jim Mora... playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Are you serious?[/QUOTE

Last edited:
God forbid we do lose to Chattanooga this weekend then we are def looking at the first winless season in UT football history. Do y’all think Pruitt could survive that? I personally don’t think he can survive a 1-11 season

Pruitt will get another year to raise the sunken ship

Way, way, way to early to be talking about firing a coach but 0-12 (which won't happen) would mean Pruitt has lost the locker room, recruiting would tank and Neyland would be virtually empty. Since progress is what you are looking for when you hire a head coach, I don't think he could survive unless he wins at least 2 or 3.

We aren’t going 0-12 or 1-11 or 2-10

This means that UT will have to beat Vanderbilt this season, which lately seems like an impossible task. What UT football has become, beating Vanderbilt and a team from the sun belt conference are the goals. SMH

Last edited:
Honestly 0-12 yeah a change would be coming but since I don't think that's going to happen 2,3,4,or 5 wins he gets next year to right the ship if it doesn't happen then a change will happen. I know plenty of people think Coach Fulmer wouldn't let him go after 3 seasons but he will, he wants Tennessee to succeed and if Pruitt can't get it done he'll find someone who can

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I'll leave it here. SIAP. The buyout for our current coaching staff would be $20M. Add to that what we owe Butch through 2021, PLUS whatever salaries we'd owe the new coaches. I'm not in charge of UT financing, but it doesn't seem feasible to let him go this year.

That is true but you'd have to consider the lost revenue if the worst happened based on the annual impact. UT is not going 0-12 but if it happened, consideration would have to be given to cutting loses instead of experiencing a devastating financial blow due to long lasting damage to the brand.

Reactions: jwilliams
That is true but you'd have to consider the lost revenue if the worst happened based on the annual impact. UT is not going 0-12 but if it happened, consideration would have to be given to cutting loses instead of experiencing a devastating financial blow due to long lasting damage to the brand.

Yep, I agree 100%. Pruitt and Fulmer REALLY needs to find 5 or 6 wins from here on...

Reactions: Visiting Dawg
If Tennessee falls to UTC Saturday, the chances of them winning a single game this season are extremely low.

I’d be shocked if they lost to UTC, even more than Ga State. I think UT wins in a blowout.

God forbid we do lose to Chattanooga this weekend then we are def looking at the first winless season in UT football history. Do y’all think Pruitt could survive that? I personally don’t think he can survive a 1-11 season

The way we do things he would probably get a fat bonus and a contract extension !

I think there is a strong chance we go 2-10.
The real question is can the recruiting survive such an implosion?
If that tanks we are another decade from relevance

I think there is a strong chance we go 2-10.
The real question is can the recruiting survive such an implosion?
If that tanks we are another decade from relevance

You're assuming a bunch of coaches who have year in and year out showed they can recruit against anyone nationally will some how let one bad season impact their ability......

I think I will go on the side of history.

VN Store

Back