For those who want a coaching change

Yep, the revolt happened and the fans got control and this happened. All over every news outlet in Knoxville and around the country. It angered the one person we wanted to get rid of and he began moving pieces. He fired Davenport and him and his hand puppets now control the BOT. Somewhere out there he’s sitting back saying I told you so and is waiting to throw it in Fulmers face. If it gets bad enough, he will flex his muscle and force his hand and Fulmer will have zero choice. He’ll get the man he wants and reign over football once again. If he fires Fulmer we might as well write off the program all together
You're spot on and there are many who don't realize it. The guy you're speaking of hand-picked Schiano which in turn cost us Mullen who would have likely came here if he or his agent were called by 12:00 noon on a Sat.,(the day UF announced the hire). Currie announced Schiano next day,(Sun.) and all hell broke loose. It was game on then resulting in the coup d' etat. Likely JH is still lurking in the shadows attempting to undermine PF but he's heavily outgunned currently. Lucky for us. It would be a good thing that all Vol fans stay aware of this and give either their full support or either stay silent in the least. I truly don't consider anyone who consistently speaks negative of the program a fan in the 1st place.

Tennessee will lose a hell of a lot more than that if they only beat UTC this year.

And remember, UT already has invested (through boosters mostly) another $350mil in Neyland. $600mil invested in mostly directly football-related facilities over the last decade and we're stressed about $9mil.

Tennessee used to be one of the highest revenue programs in the country... now we're #15. That will slip out of the top 20 soon if something isnt' done. Again, this school will lose a LOT more than Pruitt's buyout if they keep this gump employed. He is tanking Tennessee and, IMO, mocking it in the process.

That Titanic comment basically sealed the deal for me. He's either dumb as a box of rocks or he isn't with the intent/scope of that comment. Both are definitely bad for Tennessee.

I understand and I am aware of everything you are saying.. I've been a fan for 30 years, spare me the attempt at trying to educate me.

That's just Pruitt's buyout, not to mention the rest of the staff.

1. Who you going to hire?
2. Who would realistically take the job?.. (knowing they could be fired after a bad start during their second year?)
3. How can you justify paying large buyouts to 2 previous head coaches and staffs at the same time, and have the revenue to hire a new big-time top-tier staff? Where's that money going to come from? and how does that make us look as a program? A train wreck.

Talking about firing Pruitt at this point is pure crazy talk. That would set us back another 5 years or more. A lot of fans are trying to point blame at someone right now.. Pruitt, JG, Fulmer. How about we accept the fact that we are not a very good football team right now, and it's going to take more than a year and half to fix the terrible mess he inherited.

Last edited:
Reactions: mercuryvol
The best players only care about $$$. Loyalty to a school or coach is RARE.
I’m not talking about loyalty I’m talking about system. Stud D tackle built for a 4 front D doesn’t want to risk a new coach coming in his junior season and switching to a 3-4 or stud QB pocket passer doesn’t want to risk switching to a spread system.

I understand and I am aware of everything you are saying.. I've been a fan for 30 years, spare me the attempt at educating me.

That's just Pruitt's buyout, not to mention the rest of the staff.

1. Who you going to hire?
2. Who would realistically take the job?.. (knowing they could be fired after a bad start during their second year?)
3. How can you justify paying large buyouts to 2 previous head coaches and staffs at the same time, and have the revenue to hire a new big-time top-tier staff? Where's that money going to come from? and how does that make us look as a program?

I'm not advocating firing Pruitt now. I'm saying Pruitt, given the team that I saw finish last year and into this year doesn't look like they have even 4 winnable games this season. I don't think Pruitt survives if he finishes 3-9 or worse. So don't get dramatic and say "bad start during their second year" it's more like "bad finish to their first year and apparent signs of regression all over the field continuing into the 2nd year".

If Pruitt turns things around and finishes 5-5 from here on out, I'll legit be happy and hopeful. I don't think that will happen, but if it does he should not be canned even with a 4-6 finish given who we're playing. 4-8 would be disappointing, but given the rough start, it would be a clear improvement on the season.

I don't think anyone in the country would say UT would be unrealistic for firing a guy who tanked 2-10 in Year 2 and turned in losses to Georgia State, BYU and went 0-8 in the SEC. Again, since this board has serious reading comprehension, I'm saying if he goes 2-10 he should be out.

Quality coaches can look at Pruitts results and understand why he got the ax. They all know it’s a win now business.
Be careful... Ask UCLA about going deep in the pocketbook.. Sometimes that is fools gold. Knowing Tennessee's luck.. we'd flush a bunch of cash for a "wannabe".
1568136194961.png

Lol. With that said. My dream hire after Schiano Sunday was getting something like the following:

HC: Les Miles / Lane Kiffin
OC: Lane Kiffin / Tee Martin (Lane with Les / Tee with Lane)
DC: Kevin Steele or John Chavis

I for sure thought after Schiano Sunday, the new direction would take the F the World stance.
Damn sure would have taken Steele. He's been here before under Majors as a GA. All he'd needed was a good OC. Been on defense his whole career. Excellent recruiter. I actually think he did a HC gig for a couple of years and didn't pan out. Not certain 'bout that though.
PS my bad didn't realize you posted him for DC

I'm not advocating firing Pruitt now. I'm saying Pruitt, given the team that I saw finish last year and into this year doesn't look like they have even 4 winnable games this season. I don't think Pruitt survives if he finishes 3-9 or worse. So don't get dramatic and say "bad start during their second year" it's more like "bad finish to their first year and apparent signs of regression all over the field continuing into the 2nd year".

If Pruitt turns things around and finishes 5-5 from here on out, I'll legit be happy and hopeful. I don't think that will happen, but if it does he should not be canned even with a 4-6 finish given who we're playing. 4-8 would be disappointing, but given the rough start, it would be a clear improvement on the season.

I don't think anyone in the country would say UT would be unrealistic for firing a guy who tanked 2-10 in Year 2 and turned in losses to Georgia State, BYU and went 0-8 in the SEC. Again, since this board has serious reading comprehension, I'm saying if he goes 2-10 he should be out.

No one is being dramatic here DC. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth now. Go back and read your original post I responded to. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :p

Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
mike leach wanted it. is he a nobody? lol

mike leach wanted it. is he a nobody? lol

I mean are you okay with someone who took over a rebuilding job and went 12-25 in their first 3 seasons with two 3-9 records?

How can you run out of patience in 14 games with Pruitt but be willing to put up with Leach who would need 3 years minimum to build the roster around his offense?

Some of the people probably ARE Florida, Georgia, Bammer fans, literally, and are trolling us to hurt our program.
very much a reality and I'm a solid Vol and can sniff that shat out. who else but UGA, UF, USCe, Kentucky, Bama would attempt to divide our ranks? One of the oldest tricks known to man.....divide and conquer. Heck that could be going on in-house with the power hungry JH wanting control back. I'm of the opinion that it's not gonna work and Pruitt will have us in contention sooner than many think. For the record Russia actually used social media to interfere with the last presidential election and Putin himself was surprised as to how effective it was. That was on the PBS show "Frontline" as I recall.

Reactions: BanditVol
Absolutely not. Butch didnt deserve his extension. But it seems like the guys who are showing some improvement on the team are mostly Pruitts younger guys.

So lets say he wins 2 games this year and gets fired. We hire what fans comsider anyway, a good coach. And said coach doesnt get things turned around in 2 years, will it be yet another firing? At what point do we stop this cycle of hiring/firing that has got us to where we are?
When we find a coach who can win. It can be done in year 2. It has been done in year two. In fact, if you haven’t won a championship by year 2 (outside of CPF) a coach won’t win one in the sec since the BCS era began

No. You are wrong. 2 to 3 years is not enough time. That thinking is why we are where we are.
The reason we are where we are is because we haven't hired the right coach.. We should have beat Ga State with me as the qb.. Just no excuse..

No choice but to be in this camp...our admin is too proud to admit they MAY have messed up again...he'll likely get 3-4 years.
Let his contract play out and depending on improvements add incentives instead of raises. A lot of pro players been known to put up big numbers the year prior to contract expiring then have their hand out. Once they get a good contract numbers go down. Patriots just did that to A.Brown giving him a chance to make an extra $5 mil. based on performance. Owners done caught on and so should universities.

Here is a question, how do we know truly what coaches were truly offered and wanted the TN job? None of us were privy to any of the real info. So basically saying so and so coach wanted the job is nothing but speculation.
Jimmy Sexton knows and by the looks of things told Currie/JH to get ******. He served up a good coach willing to take the job but control freak hand-picked Schiano for Currie. PF is gonna come out of this looking good because his intentions are good.

Ah yes, the nobody wanted the job *cough* Mike Leach *cough*. Oh and the who are we going to hire. Oh and the he needs more time to get his recruits in here. This staff is stubborn and CJP is not a CEO type

Ah yes, Leach wanted the job, but we didn't want him.

But we will THIS year! This is our year!!!

When we find a coach who can win. It can be done in year 2. It has been done in year two. In fact, if you haven’t won a championship by year 2 (outside of CPF) a coach won’t win one in the sec since the BCS era began

Terrible analogy. Do you think every single HC walks into the same sitiation? Oh and your year 2 stuff? Lol. Saban has ruined it for every coach. Thats who you are using as the measuring stick right? So compare any HC that comes here to the GOAT? That seems completely fair.

VN Store

Back