I surrender (To the extremely irrational portion of our fan base)

Dude Georgia fired a 9 win a year coach to get a new one and I live in south ga, trust me if Kirby didn’t start winning at a high level immediately they were about to start getting rabid.. Bama did go through the same kind of thing as us and you know what eventually brought them back? It was filtering through coaches until they got the right one. It was not holding on to any of the losers they hired before Saban.
But we're a special situation because our in-state high school football isn't very good (even though every elite program in the country is recruiting TN) and our roster is depleted below GA State level.

I can see your point here, but what happens when we lose the 2020 recruits? Botch the next coaching search? Do you really think another coach will miraculously turn the program around in a season? I'm no psychic, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the result would spell catastrophe. Please enlighten me though.
And if we don’t lose recruits?

The ifs and buts game is dumb

Dude Georgia fired a 9 win a year coach to get a new one and I live in south ga, trust me if Kirby didn’t start winning at a high level immediately they were about to start getting rabid.. Bama did go through the same kind of thing as us and you know what eventually brought them back? It was filtering through coaches until they got the right one. It was not holding on to any of the losers they hired before Saban.
Problem with this is Kirby inherited a loaded roster and they are smack-dab located in one of the most elite recruiting grounds in the nation. Bama also made a homerun hire, something most vol fans would agree, the utad is incapable of.

Reactions: FBtime
But we're a special situation because our in-state high school football isn't very good (even though every elite program in the country is recruiting TN) and our roster is depleted below GA State level.

Another myth. Tennessee produced 12 blue chips from 2015-2019. Texas produced 48. Tennessee high school football isn't that good if he measure is the number of blue chips. GA and FL rank far higher. UT MUST be able to recruit GA and hasn't.

Phil was smart in that he recruited SoCal when they were on probation.

Time will tell if he can get this turned around. Any new coach will want a fair shot at turning the roster and changing the culture. As long as it clear that JP has gotten his fair shot then we will be fine to move forward.

I expect to see him make the adjustments needed to get us back to winning. The waiting for it to happen is very difficult.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

Correct.

I'm going to be most fans didn't expect us to be winning the SEC this year, let alone the SEC East, but I'm going to bet they expected us to be at least 3-0 heading into the FL game. That shouldn't have been that hard of a goal to achieve.

You are assuming everyone has the same goal. They don't.

I love the story of Bear Bryant on taking over an Alabama team that went 2-7-1 when Auburn won the NC. "You aren't the state's team. You aren't the town's team. You're my team. And we're going to start playing like champions ... today."

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
They have the last four coaching searches.

Gary Patterson want the job, and Hamilton had already listened to the Haslam's and went after Kiffin. Mike Leach took the job, and Fulmer yanked the deal.

So let's not pretend that our only option was an Alabama native with zero HC experience, and no history of developing non 4/5* players.

Reactions: Titan05
Problem with this is Kirby inherited a loaded roster and they are smack-dab located in one of the most elite recruiting grounds in the nation. Bama also made a homerun hire, something most vol fans would agree, the utad is incapable of.
Yeah I’m not arguing those points at all.. the guy was just saying that we should play the long game like Bama and Georgia. I actually think both of those programs are examples of why not to cling to a guy for to long if he doesn’t show you great improvement by year 2. Also Florida would be another example. They fire their coach middle of his third year after winning the sec east his first year and while it’s to early to say for sure it looks like that was the right play. If Tennessee had a coach come in and win the east his first two years we would erect a statue in his honor. I’m not arguing one way or another on Pruitt but I get tired of a portion of our fanbase always attacking the other part by saying we have the worst, most impatient fan base in the country. If they would Open their eyes and look around to other programs in our very own conference they would see that simply isn’t the case.

After reading the bile spewed bay a portion of our supposed "fans", I surrender to your "logic" and propose this. I hope they give you guys what you want and fire Pruitt today. Give this year's team over to whichever interim coach to completely obliterate the rest of the year. When we have another large buyout to reduce the available liquidity for a coaching search and we receive even less interest from the "established" coaches community than before. I will laugh at those of you that wail and gnash your teeth as the team I love plummets into the Gehenna that awaits it. No coach with any potential would touch this program knowing that the have the potential of a less than 1.5 year turn around requirement.

When that happens, none of the miserable members of this fan base will have any right to type a single sentence of protest involving the inevitable outcome.

(Sorry to those this does not apply to, just expressing my venom at the ones who have no comprehension of reality.)

Relax - there are a few that always campaign for a coaching change. At the end of the day we dont need it (yet) ....all we need is a few more successful legit, recruiting seasons. We gotta cycle out the Sunbelt players we seem to have been fielding the past several years. Playing the highly rated recruits (EARLY) that have been brought in the past couple of years will go a long way with future recruits. The message: Playing time is available early at Tennessee if you are good enough....

And if we don’t lose recruits?

The ifs and buts game is dumb
I see your posts, your a reasonable guy. You and I both know this is not ifs and buts. These recruits are Pruitts guys. Fire him, they gone. You could argue a losing season would lose recruits as well, but...yes, but, fact is Pruitt and this staff are damn good recruiters and perceivers of talent. There's no guarantee that the next coach will bring in the equivalent.

Reactions: Gillimus
Yeah I’m not arguing those points at all.. the guy was just saying that we should play the long game like Bama and Georgia. I actually think both of those programs are examples of why not to cling to a guy for to long if he doesn’t show you great improvement by year 2. Also Florida would be another example. They fire their coach middle of his third year after winning the sec east his first year and while it’s to early to say for sure it looks like that was the right play. If Tennessee had a coach come in and win the east his first two years we would erect a statue in his honor. I’m not arguing one way or another on Pruitt but I get tired of a portion of our fanbase always attacking the other part by saying we have the worst, most impatient fan base in the country. If they would Open their eyes and look around to other programs in our very own conference they would see that simply isn’t the case.

UT has Top 5 facilities, Top 5 fanbase, Top 5 merchandising. It should be a dream job.

UTAD has destroyed this program. Kiffin? I love Kiffin but ... he has NO TIES to the recruiting heartland of GA, FL, AL or TX. Much less TN. Dooley? Pass. Butch. Zero. What on earth are they thinking?

Hate Pruitt, I don't care. But the guy knows SEC football and the landscape. He's the first one who has in 12 years. Get stability and work from there. Standard procedure. (For those who don't understand this, you cannot improve an unstable system. You first have to have stability ... then, you can improve.)

VN Store

Back