Back up qb: are we being gullible?

1vol8

I’ve posted this in other threads but with every passing game it’s becoming more and more clear that the possibility of seeing a backup is at an all time high. So here’s some things to think about to maybe help boost your confidence.

Strike 1- Jeremy Pruitt is a defensive coordinator by trade. Always has been. He played defense in his playing days. The man lives and breathes defense. This is the first time in his life (that we know of) that he’s ever had his hands even remotely involved in offense. And we’ve heard one.....I repeat ONE negative evaluation of our backups, which strangely enough comes from our defensive coordinator HC. Are we to believe that the title of HC alone automatically qualifies you to pass such judgments on a position he’s never coached, played or even been a part of?

Strike 2- we have a heisman trophy winning qb as a qb coach. We have a proven OC (and qb coach) that are the face of the offensive minds at UT. One of the above has given his evaluation of the backups and he seems to strongly disagree with the evaluations set forth with quotes such as “The “it” factor” and “Neither of them have thrown many ints in practice but the goal is 0.” All while our OC refuses to give his personal evaluation out of respect for our HC.

Strike 3- Ill admit I don’t know much about JTS outside of him being 2 years removed from his only year as a starter. His stats are all we have and they’re not very impressive. But that in no way means he hasn’t improved.
Which brings me to BM. We seem to have forgotten what this kid has accomplished while playing with a team that was historically bad.
-He threw for over 3500 yards and 34 tds behind a o line that makes ours look like the New England Patriots. No receivers with speed or size and no running game and his numbers (in a lot of ways) were better than Trevor Lawrence’s senior yr. Let that sink in.
- rushes for another 500+ and 6 more scores.
- completed 65% of his passes while averaging 43 passes a game.
- wins elite 11 regional MVP
- beats out at least 12 of the 24 best QBs in the country to earn the invite to “The Opening”
- Beats out 7 of the top 12 at “The Opening” with a 10/1 td to int ratio against the best defenders in the 2019 class.
- Travels the country earning offers from every school he attended camp throwing “routes on air” and 7on 7
- Tyson Helton quoted saying his workout was “among the best I’ve ever seen”

And we chose to believe that He’s suddenly lost his accuracy since arriving to UT?

I don’t buy it. What I will buy is JG has already hit his ceiling.....last year. I’m not saying BM or JTS WILL be better “right now” but one thing I am sure of is either of them will eventually be but BM has the highest ceiling. Why not start building towards what we could be rather than sticking with what we are? We may be pleasantly surprised.

JG needs to be benched we need to get the other guys some experience. Thought JG might consider transferring after Pruitt grabbed him a couple times last night. Whether he does or not we don't need to waste anymore time on him playing QB. We'll take our lumps let the young guys do what they can the best experience they can get is playing.

I’ve posted this in other threads but with every passing game it’s becoming more and more clear that the possibility of seeing a backup is at an all time high. So here’s some things to think about to maybe help boost your confidence.

Strike 1- Jeremy Pruitt is a defensive coordinator by trade. Always has been. He played defense in his playing days. The man lives and breathes defense. This is the first time in his life (that we know of) that he’s ever had his hands even remotely involved in offense. And we’ve heard one.....I repeat ONE negative evaluation of our backups, which strangely enough comes from our defensive coordinator HC. Are we to believe that the title of HC alone automatically qualifies you to pass such judgments on a position he’s never coached, played or even been a part of?

Strike 2- we have a heisman trophy winning qb as a qb coach. We have a proven OC (and qb coach) that are the face of the offensive minds at UT. One of the above has given his evaluation of the backups and he seems to strongly disagree with the evaluations set forth with quotes such as “The “it” factor” and “Neither of them have thrown many ints in practice but the goal is 0.” All while our OC refuses to give his personal evaluation out of respect for our HC.

Strike 3- Ill admit I don’t know much about JTS outside of him being 2 years removed from his only year as a starter. His stats are all we have and they’re not very impressive. But that in no way means he hasn’t improved.
Which brings me to BM. We seem to have forgotten what this kid has accomplished while playing with a team that was historically bad.
-He threw for over 3500 yards and 34 tds behind a o line that makes ours look like the New England Patriots. No receivers with speed or size and no running game and his numbers (in a lot of ways) were better than Trevor Lawrence’s senior yr. Let that sink in.
- beats out at least 12 of the 24 best QBs in the country to earn the invite to “The Opening”
- Beats out 7 of the top 12 at “The Opening” with a 10/1 td to int ratio against the best defenders in the 2019 class.
- Travels the country earning offers from every school he attended camp throwing “routes on air” and 7on 7

And we chose to believe that He’s suddenly lost his accuracy since arriving to UT?

I don’t buy it. What I will buy is JG has already hit his ceiling.....last year. I’m not saying BM or JTS WILL be better “right now” but one thing I am sure of is either of them will eventually be but BM has the highest ceiling. Why not start building towards what we could be rather than sticking with what we are? We may be pleasantly surprised.

To the point...

-the backups aren't ready
-we have a transfer in waiting for next year
- we have a blue Chip recruit coming in

We are already preparing for the future.

To the point...

We have a blue chip according to the same services that rated JG the #1 DT qb in his class and BM a pocket passer. And that’s just within our own QB room. Wanna trust them or your own eyes?

To the point...

I understand your logic. But I also want to see this team preparing for the next game. I hope that entails getting our backup qbs game ready

Shrout deserves a quarter or two in a game to prove himself. I'll admit, Maurer's mobility makes him enticing. I say let Weinke and Chaney make the call and let's roll with it. I saw enough positives last night to keep me excited for the future, but this season is going to be hard to salvage. Let's develop our young guys.

Shrout deserves a quarter or two in a game to prove himself. I'll admit, Maurer's mobility makes him enticing. I say let Weinke and Chaney make the call and let's roll with it. I saw enough positives last night to keep me excited for the future, but this season is going to be hard to salvage. Let's develop our young guys.
I agree with that. I think Shrout definitely deserves a chance but when I look at him personally I see a career (very good) backup at this level. In Maurer I see a potential top 3 QB in 3 years

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Pruitt has to know that JG isn't the guy, doesn't he? If the man truly wanted to win he would try anything. He himself even said there are game time players and practice players. I think he should evaluate based on his own beliefs. It is apparent he has no issues rotating multiple line men, what's the difference with QB? He can't use a qb's continuity and confidence as an excuse because line men need continuity just as much. I am honestly baffled as to why we keep trying to make JG something he is not, a collegiate QB

Pruitt has to know that JG isn't the guy, doesn't he? If the man truly wanted to win he would try anything. He himself even said there are game time players and practice players. I think he should evaluate based on his own beliefs. It is apparent he has no issues rotating multiple line men, what's the difference with QB? He can't use a qb's continuity and confidence as an excuse because line men need continuity just as much. I am honestly baffled as to why we keep trying to make JG something he is not, a collegiate QB
My opinion is he wants to play conservative, mistake free football and win games with defense and the young guys are anything but conservative.

My opinion is he wants to play conservative, mistake free football and win games with defense and the young guys are anything but conservative.
Unfortunately, we don't have the defense to play conservative. Last night proved that playing conservative with the talent we have will get u beat. Playing conservative means your play book is limited and defenses will key in on to the play calling eventually, saw it last night

Last edited:

JFC man. You think Cornbread is just like ‘screw you jim Cheney and Weinke with your different evals....I don’t care about winning I just want to play JG coz....well just coz! By gawd!’

That’s just ignorant.

However, we’re now at the point the other guys have to get a longer look.

Unfortunately, we don't have the defense to play conservative. Last night proved that playing conservative with the talent we have will get u beat. Play conservative mean your play book is limited and defenses will key in on to the play calling eventually, saw it last night
We’ve seen it 2 weeks in a row. Hell ....4 weeks for that matter if you include consecutive losses. But Pruitt sees it differently obviously and that’s where he’s losing the fan support.

To the point...

I posted this in another thread, with this team being really bad and freebie games being close in the 4th, JG is getting ALL the snaps. There is no Garbage time for our young QBs to get experience. This is VERY bad for our future.

JFC man. You think Cornbread is just like ‘screw you jim Cheney and Weinke with your different evals....I don’t care about winning I just want to play JG coz....well just coz! By gawd!’

That’s just ignorant.

However, we’re now at the point the other guys have to get a longer look.
Have we not already seen last year that he likes being in control of everything? Why is it so hard to believe that he may be choosing offensive personnel?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back