Why I don't think it matters if UT fires Pruitt

james_govols

To live is to be haunted.
This is long, sorry.

I keep seeing threads that want to fire Pruitt or the entire coaching staff. I think this type of thinking is somewhat flawed from a big picture standpoint. Let me explain:
Let’s say I owned a business. We’ll say that I own a restaurant. I keep hiring chefs that are okay chefs. Well, the customers think my food tastes awful. They don’t want to eat here. So as a good business owner I have some decisions to make. I need to bring in some great chefs to keep customers coming back, and I need to figure out a way to get these great chefs to my restaurant.

I’m not going to lie, my apathy levels hit an all time high during the last coaching search. I still haven’t recovered. I’m not even that upset about Tennessee being 0-2 to start this year. I see the problem of this program being a lot bigger than just who the coaching staff is.

The UT administration and AD are the restaurant owners from my prior example. If they were running a business, they would have already went bankrupt and closed doors. They are either unable, or unwilling, to bring in great chefs. They keep bringing in coaches that have no real success on their own (CBJ had some I guess).

So, while people keep wanting to fire Pruitt, or any head coach we have, I say this line of thinking is irrational. The problem is a lot deeper than this. I have no faith in the Tennessee administration to make a great hire. If we get rid of Pruitt, Butch, or Dooley, then we will just end up with another guy of similar caliber.

So why can’t the administration/AD bring in a top level coach? There has to be a reason that big name coaches don’t consider Tennessee as a destination. Remember Butch being like Tennessee’s 5th choice? Big coaches don’t want to come here. Why?

I don’t know the answer to that, but it’s not my job to know the answer to that or how to fix it. That’s the Athletic Department’s job to fix this issue. They need to figure out what is keeping great coaches from coming to Tennessee. Trust me, it’s not because we have no talent. There is more than this. When Urban went to Ohio State, he demanded facility upgrades, chefs to cook for players, etc. Big name coaches know what it takes to be successful, and they want the university to cater to them. Maybe this is the issue. Tennessee makes the money.

Regardless, I’m tired of blaming everything on the coaches. It’s stupid. They make mistakes. They may not be good enough to make us a respectable program again. However, when do we start blaming the people hiring these coaches?

I’m telling you guys and gals, until Tennessee is willing to fix whatever issues keep great coaches from coming here, we will be a dead football program. It’s been over ten years now and the administration still hasn’t figured out how to run a successful business. The AD needs to think long and hard about how they can bring in high caliber coaches. The Tennessee AD makes a lot of money. They pay a ton of buyouts because they are horrible at running this business. It's not rocket science: figure out a way to make UT attractive to top level coaches, then when one comes available pursue him. Other programs do it all the time.

The way this adminstration and AD runs the program is shameful. Until they figure out how to run a successful business, Tennessee football is dead. It doesn't matter if we fire Pruitt.

Knoxville, as a whole, is known for underachieving. It must be something in the water.

I think OP is spot on. Until the real cancer is cured, it won’t help to merely change the bandages.
I didn’t say he was wrong...just...”wordy”...

This is long, sorry.

I keep seeing threads that want to fire Pruitt or the entire coaching staff. I think this type of thinking is somewhat flawed from a big picture standpoint. Let me explain:
Let’s say I owned a business. We’ll say that I own a restaurant. I keep hiring chefs that are okay chefs. Well, the customers think my food tastes awful. They don’t want to eat here. So as a good business owner I have some decisions to make. I need to bring in some great chefs to keep customers coming back, and I need to figure out a way to get these great chefs to my restaurant.

I’m not going to lie, my apathy levels hit an all time high during the last coaching search. I still haven’t recovered. I’m not even that upset about Tennessee being 0-2 to start this year. I see the problem of this program being a lot bigger than just who the coaching staff is.

The UT administration and AD are the restaurant owners from my prior example. If they were running a business, they would have already went bankrupt and closed doors. They are either unable, or unwilling, to bring in great chefs. They keep bringing in coaches that have no real success on their own (CBJ had some I guess).

So, while people keep wanting to fire Pruitt, or any head coach we have, I say this line of thinking is irrational. The problem is a lot deeper than this. I have no faith in the Tennessee administration to make a great hire. If we get rid of Pruitt, Butch, or Dooley, then we will just end up with another guy of similar caliber.

So why can’t the administration/AD bring in a top level coach? There has to be a reason that big name coaches don’t consider Tennessee as a destination. Remember Butch being like Tennessee’s 5th choice? Big coaches don’t want to come here. Why?

I don’t know the answer to that, but it’s not my job to know the answer to that or how to fix it. That’s the Athletic Department’s job to fix this issue. They need to figure out what is keeping great coaches from coming to Tennessee. Trust me, it’s not because we have no talent. There is more than this. When Urban went to Ohio State, he demanded facility upgrades, chefs to cook for players, etc. Big name coaches know what it takes to be successful, and they want the university to cater to them. Maybe this is the issue. Tennessee makes the money.

Regardless, I’m tired of blaming everything on the coaches. It’s stupid. They make mistakes. They may not be good enough to make us a respectable program again. However, when do we start blaming the people hiring these coaches?

I’m telling you guys and gals, until Tennessee is willing to fix whatever issues keep great coaches from coming here, we will be a dead football program. It’s been over ten years now and the administration still hasn’t figured out how to run a successful business. The AD needs to think long and hard about how they can bring in high caliber coaches. The Tennessee AD makes a lot of money. They pay a ton of buyouts because they are horrible at running this business. It's not rocket science: figure out a way to make UT attractive to top level coaches, then when one comes available pursue him. Other programs do it all the time.

The way this adminstration and AD runs the program is shameful. Until they figure out how to run a successful business, Tennessee football is dead. It doesn't matter if we fire Pruitt.

Maybe, since Haslam has allowed the Brown's to be greatly upgraded, He can now turn is attention to UT. Just a thought.

These are the same people who hired Dooley, when the program still had its recruiting power and strong brand recognition. Dooley, a man with a handful of college wins at podunk U. They looked into the future then turned the program hard left into oncoming traffic. The program is still summersaulting down the road at high speed. Wahooooooooo!

It’s really 2 things...it’s having an ad that’s passionate and charismatic and can make the big name believe he can be the savior to turn things around. And then it’s the ad being able to go to the power brokers/big money boosters and get the funds necessary to secure the contract that it’ll take to get that homer in hire. When bama (years ago now), Michigan, Ohio state, Washington, ta&m made big hires the all sold out to get their guy. Theiy let him m ow he was the one they were after and they raised huge money to get him. We haven’t had that charismatic/dynamic leader (ad) that’s been able to land the coach. It’s that simple. Unfortunately we still don’t have it. Whoever thought Currie was the dynamic ceo type leader of our athletic department is an idiot. And fulmer certainly isnt that type guy either.

Reactions: Johncarter53
Just a foot-note to your novella: :)
Even if you hired the greatest chef in the world, you couldn't bring or keep customers if you made him cook with subpar ingredients left over in the cooler and on the shelves. The chef needs time to get the right ingredients and time to cook them properly. A Waffle House steak is still a frozen Waffle House steak, even after you put home-made butter and fresh rosemary on it. The butter and rosemary, which may be the best ingredients in the recipe still seem lackluster and subpar because of the steak being cooked in a fast food setting/process; not the chef, and not the other ingredients and definitely not because the customers didn't like it.

This is long, sorry.

Stop trying to reason with people who can’t read.

Reactions: Bret178

Except "big name coaches" have considered us. Gary Patterson and Mike Leach are the two that we know desperately wanted to come here, but there are likely many others we don't know about. Our AD, for whatever reason, has chosen not to hire these big name coaches.

I think Hamilton saw himself as a "genius" and wanted to get credit for hiring an undiscovered young coach. Everyone would say he was brilliant. So he passed on guys like Mike Leach and Gary Patterson to hire Lane Kiffin, whose resume at that point was being an OC for USC and having 1 very disastrous season in Oakland. He then hired Dooley, hoping he found a hidden gem, who mysteriously struggled at La Tech but would suddenly turn into a top-notch coach at UT.

We more or less got unlucky with Butch Jones. It wasn't actually a bad hire on paper. There weren't a lot of top-notch coaches available at that time. Butch Jones had a good record at Cincy. But these mid-major coaches don't always work out; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Butch didn't.

I think we'll still have to wait to see how Pruitt does, but we know from the botched coaching search under Currie, that they were mostly considering mediocre coaches rather than great coaches, because Haslam. When Currie went renegade, that's when we started going after top coaches like Leach. Before that, it was Schiano, Doeren, and Mediocrity City.

The consistent theme IMO is that behind-the-scenes, big egos are pulling the coaching searches in bad directions. These "big egos" don't want to hire an established coach because they won't get credit for it. If Mike Leach or Gary Patterson came in, everyone would credit Mike Leach or Gary Patterson; not the AD.

Except "big name coaches" have considered us. Gary Patterson and Mike Leach are the two that we know desperately wanted to come here, but there are likely many others we don't know about. Our AD, for whatever reason, has chosen not to hire these big name coaches.

I think Hamilton saw himself as a "genius" and wanted to get credit for hiring an undiscovered young coach. Everyone would say he was brilliant. So he passed on guys like Mike Leach and Gary Patterson to hire Lane Kiffin, whose resume at that point was being an OC for USC and having 1 very disastrous season in Oakland. He then hired Dooley, hoping he found a hidden gem, who mysteriously struggled at La Tech but would suddenly turn into a top-notch coach at UT.

We more or less got unlucky with Butch Jones. It wasn't actually a bad hire on paper. There weren't a lot of top-notch coaches available at that time. Butch Jones had a good record at Cincy. But these mid-major coaches don't always work out; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Butch didn't.

I think we'll still have to wait to see how Pruitt does, but we know from the botched coaching search under Currie, that they were mostly considering mediocre coaches rather than great coaches, because Haslam. When Currie went renegade, that's when we started going after top coaches like Leach. Before that, it was Schiano, Doeren, and Mediocrity City.

The consistent theme IMO is that behind-the-scenes, big egos are pulling the coaching searches in bad directions. These "big egos" don't want to hire an established coach because they won't get credit for it. If Mike Leach or Gary Patterson came in, everyone would credit Mike Leach or Gary Patterson; not the AD.

Thanks for the input. So you believe the administration is just unwilling to hire big name coaches.

Where would the program be if UT hired Patterson or Leach?

From a success standpoint, it's a lot smarter to take a gamble on a proven coach like Leach.

It's honestly a win win. If he works out great, and if he doesn't then who would have thought he wouldn't?

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Even if you hired the greatest chef in the world, you couldn't bring or keep customers if you made him cook with subpar ingredients left over in the cooler and on the shelves. The chef needs time to get the right ingredients and time to cook them properly. A Waffle House steak is still a frozen Waffle House steak, even after you put home-made butter and fresh rosemary on it. The butter and rosemary, which may be the best ingredients in the recipe still seem lackluster and subpar because of the steak being cooked in a fast food setting/process; not the chef, and not the other ingredients and definitely not because the customers didn't like it.

With all due respect sir, we've been in the "get the right ingredients" mode since the end of 2008. I'm tired of giving bad coaches four years to get their bad players in place so we can just start the whole process over again.

You're missing my larger point. You're correct, we have to give Pruitt time.

My point is that we don't know if Pruitt is a good coach though.

Every hire that UT makes that's not a proven coach is a higher likelihood that we are 5 more years removed from winning.

They need to hire a proven coach.

Reactions: onevol74
This is long, sorry.

I think Fulmer grabbed the best available person, in a pinch. He understood that the recruiting window was closing, and he needed to bring in someone to stabilize the situation. Was it a gamble? Of course. Will it payoff? We shall see. Put it on PF, if you must. But, I think, in the long run, PF was either correct, or he will get our man. It may not be CJP. I was ready to kick him to the curb, last week. I am a bit less anxious to do so, after Saturday. I saw effort, fire, and improvement, almost everywhere, including the staff, on Saturday. The end result........sucked. But, we were playing a much better opponent, in my opinion. We just didn't find a way to win. Instead, we found a way to lose. That is a side affect of a losing culture. Which we have had for far too long.

I'm not sure I consider Mike Leach a "big name coach". And Patterson considered us a decade ago.

VN Store

Back