my starting 5

Given a new coach and more than half the players new LVs we should expect that those players who embrace her expectations will play more as the season progresses. Who will be the primary rotation in early February will have been determined, but not likely in November.

She hasn't had the caliber of players she will have. She will continue to go deep. but I'm guessing there are 2 possibly 3 players Davis being a sure thing who will be on the court more than others especially in tight games.

This is true... but if it they buy into her philosophy why couldn’t rae, Zay, Rennia, kk, Horston, jaz, kk, jaiden, and key play double digit minutes depending on how they come along then you throw in Lou Brown if she is healthy and that gives 10 talented players that cover a variety of skill sets? To your Rennia and Zay for instance could hit that 28 min mark while someone like Kk, McCoy, and key all split the minutes at the 5 spot which allows double digit for each player. I get what your saying and I know it depends on game situations but I see her playing at least 8-10 a game because she isn’t shy about pulling a player not performing and sit them on the bench along with wanting to press (her words) which with this talent level can be effective but she will have to sub maybe more so than normal.

She hasn't had the caliber of players she will have. She will continue to go deep. but I'm guessing there are 2 possibly 3 players Davis being a sure thing who will be on the court more than others especially in tight games.

But I do understand what you’re saying

This is true... but if it they buy into her philosophy why couldn’t rae, Zay, Rennia, kk, Horston, jaz, kk, jaiden, and key play double digit minutes depending on how they come along then you throw in Lou Brown if she is healthy and that gives 10 talented players that cover a variety of skill sets? To your Rennia and Zay for instance could hit that 28 min mark while someone like Kk, McCoy, and key all split the minutes at the 5 spot which allows double digit for each player. I get what your saying and I know it depends on game situations but I see her playing at least 8-10 a game because she isn’t shy about pulling a player not performing and sit them on the bench along with wanting to press (her words) which with this talent level can be effective but she will have to sub maybe more so than normal.

Good morning, VA_VOLFAN!
I think you named nine (KK twice); don’t know whether you intended to use one of the other three, or not.
However (and, I’m quite often WRONG), I do not think Coach Kellie is even close to relegating Jessie Rennie (or anyone) to Role Player. Whether she can defend in the SEC is, of course, still to be seen; but, great shooter, stays in motion, and, according to Coach Kellie, very savvy. If the effort and attitude are there (for all of them, of course), This Coach will find minutes for them. There’s nothing to indicate otherwise.

Good morning, VA_VOLFAN!
I think you named nine (KK twice); don’t know whether you intended to use one of the other three, or not.
However (and, I’m quite often WRONG), I do not think Coach Kellie is even close to relegating Jessie Rennie (or anyone) to Role Player. Whether she can defend in the SEC is, of course, still to be seen; but, great shooter, stays in motion, and, according to Coach Kellie, very savvy. If the effort and attitude are there (for all of them, of course), This Coach will find minutes for them. There’s nothing to indicate otherwise.

size don't matter, heart does.

She can be taught to run her defender into unplanned screens by cutting close to anyone on the court,
our players or theirs...

Defense
is another planet though
Her size dictates that she attack her opponent's handles

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Good morning, VA_VOLFAN!

Hello!

Yea I dunno what I was thinking adding KK twice but my point was I think 8-10 will get double digits with two gaining the hulk of the minutes at their position. That still leaves minutes a plenty. To your point I think EVERYBODY will be role players because I think they will each have defined roles on the team and minutes will fluctuate between who hasn’t worked hard in practice, understands schemes, hustled, and game situations. So in that aspect everybody can get on the court. I watch some WNBA ball and my Mystics are in first place breaking all kinds of scoring records even in that with 5 people avg double figures in points and two more with 9+ Elena Delle Donne calls herself a role player because her role is to do what is asked 😃 I didn’t mean to infer being a role player was a negative thing because lord knows we could have used that defensive stopper last year and a consistent outside threat to step up in those roles.

(Freshman at point), so ur those kind of ppl that claims seniority as # 1. U wana keep a star on the bench because she's a freshman is not a great coach mentally. Did parker came off bench?

Totally different scenarios.

Candace came in with the #1 class to a team with multiple Final Four finishes. She wasn't expected to lead the team as a freshman.

PG in high school vs college is a completely different game. She needs time to learn the game. Just because she may not start from day one doesn't mean she won't be by the end of the year.

Reactions: mlindsay
Freshman at point?

Thread question is my starting 5, did not specify for first game or later, so I chose the players I thought were best on the team, including their potential. Not having seen them play together, it’s really impossible to predict best combinations of players, and of course the opposing team’s players will effect our lineup, but.... I think Rae is gonna be great this year, and I’m curious about when Jessie will be in the lineup. I want all the players on the floor to be scoring threats. Jordan is not just a top rated recruit. From what little film I’ve seen, in Europe and some high school, she sees the floor, is able to start fast breaks from the far side of the floor, is an aggressive scorer, yet also dishes many assists. So yes, for me, I want her on the floor because not only can she help others to score, she can score herself.

Parker didn't play her true freshman season anyway. She could have helped the team had she been healthy, but she wouldn't have been a solo virtuoso.

This years team needs much more training mentally than physically. In order for us to be a big winner mindsets will have to change some players will have to possess a more aggressive attitude in their play and a lot more intelligence in their decision making. Hopefully the freshmen can at least get to the point where they can play efficient minutes and have roles on the team that are not to demanding. Efficiency will decide if we go from where we were last season to where we need to get this coming season. Defense will be key was terrible last season major improvement needed and I expect to see major improvement defensively under this staff.

I'm going with a starting lineup of:

F-Davis
F-Burrell
C-Key
G-Green
PG-Massengill

Expect KK could start certainly will play a lot as will Jordan Horston both could either start or be the first two off the bench and then there is Brown that could beat out Burrell for the four but regardless both will play a lot of minutes. I picked Key because in the practice film I have seen over the summer she looked really dominating inside versus KK blocked quite a few shots and had some takeaways. Jayden should provide some valuable minutes also a candidate to start at the four.

After our top nine there is Emily Saunders and Rennie both who I like as players but will probably need a lot more seasoning to be effective at the college level. I am really liking what little I have seen out of Key I think she will be very good for us this season and a star in the future. Kamera I expect will again play only when the game is well in hand or maybe for a couple minutes to rest a player. She is a lot better player than when she first got here but we still have a lot of players ahead of her on the depth chart.

Reactions: Will83 and djtee

VN Store

Back