Let's talk 2020 recruits

mcannon1

TN is a finalist for 4 top 100s as per Raoul. They are Jordyn Merritt, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, and Maddy Westbeld. Raul's website lists this info:

Jordyn Merritt: 6'2" F, TX, ESPNW #27

Angel Reese: 6'3" W, MD, ESPNW #2
(visiting TN 9/13)

Lauren Ware: 6'5" C, ND, ESPNW #30
(recently tore acl, plays vb and bb)

Madeline Westbeld: 6'2" F, OH, ESPNW #31
(sister played at ND)

Here's a little info on each. Can you add to it?

Last edited:
Girls basketball player of the week (1/27): Plano's Jordyn Merritt

Coach said it: "She's 6-2 and talented. She's very skilled and she's going to get better because she's young and improving everyday in spite of all the stuff she does. The best thing about her is she's a great teammate." -- Head coach Rodney Belcher

What she said: "I was able to be effective on the floor because of my teammates for sure. They helped create open shots for me. We helped each other push through really good competition."

Did you know? As a sophomore last season, Merritt was named the SportsDayHS Player of the Yearafter leading Plano to its first girls basketball state title. Merritt scored a layup with 6.3 seconds remaining to clinch the win in the district title game. She averaged 15.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in the last year's playoffs.

Attachments

• D5I545BXBGFI4VEX3FKSYBGYVA.jpg
    D5I545BXBGFI4VEX3FKSYBGYVA.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1
https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-gejackson-template-20190321-story.html

St. Frances junior guard-forward Angel Reese led No. 1 St. Frances to a fourth consecutive Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship this season by averaging 22.6 points and 19.3 rebounds per game.
She can play all five positions and gives St. Frances versatility. Reese had to step up a bit at times this year because the Panthers did not have quite as strong a team as last season — No. 2 Roland Park won the regular-season conference title and beat the Panthers twice during the regular season — but she lead the Panthers through the postseason.
bs-1553640452-32300tvqz3-snap-image.jpeg

Last edited:
Named in their top 5-8:
- Angel Reese - 6’3” - Wing - MD - PN 6 - ESPN 2
- Tennessee made Reese's cut to 5, along with Maryland (9/6), USC (9/20), Syracuse (9/27), and South Carolina (10/4), and Tennessee will receive her second official visit on the weekend of 9/13 (football will be playing vs. Chattanooga).​
- Jordyn Merritt - 6'2" - Forward - TX - PN 32 - ESPN 27
- Merritt is a bit of a mystery, but Tennessee did make her top-8, as did Alabama, Army, Florida, Kentucky, NC State, Penn State, and San Diego State -- an interesting top-8 for a top-30 prospect from Texas. It remains unclear whether she will take a visit to Tennessee.​
- Lauren Ware - 6’5” - Post - ND - PN 13 - ESPN 30
- Ware, the 6'5 post who recently tore her ACL and plans to play both volleyball and basketball at the collegiate level, included Tennessee in her top-5 after not including UT in her initial cut, and is also considering Texas, Arizona, UCLA, and Minnesota. She has already taken official visits to both Texas (6/17) and Arizona (7/26), and she took previous official visits to Oregon and Nebraska, but neither is still being considered. This means she only has one more official visit at her disposal among her other three finalists. Who will get that visit, and whether or not she will take unofficial to the other two remain in question.​
- Madeline Westbeld - 6’2” - Forward - OH - PN 24 - ESPN 31
- Westbeld, the 6-2 forward who can play both outside and inside, included Tennessee in her top-5 with Notre Dame, UCLA, Louisville, and Ohio State. She is on a visit at UCLA this weekend (8/30), is expected to visit Louisville in late September, and will visit Notre Dame on 10/12. Her sister played basketball at Notre Dame, so they may be a tough out.​

Others who have been connected to TN, but yet to release a top 5-8:
- Treasure Hunt - 6’1” - Wing - TN - PN 14 -ESPN 36
- Sakima Walker - 6’4” - Post - OH - PN 33 -ESPN 53
- Dontavia Waggoner - 6’1” - Wing - TN - PN 27 - ESPN 74
- Madison Hayes - 6’0” - Guard - TN - PN 57 - ESPN 25
- Piath Gabriel - 6'5" - Forward - NH - PN 88

Last edited:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-gejackson-template-20190321-story.html

St. Frances junior guard-forward Angel Reese led No. 1 St. Frances to a fourth consecutive Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship this season by averaging 22.6 points and 19.3 rebounds per game.
She can play all five positions and gives St. Frances versatility. Reese had to step up a bit at times this year because the Panthers did not have quite as strong a team as last season — No. 2 Roland Park won the regular-season conference title and beat the Panthers twice during the regular season — but she lead the Panthers through the postseason.
View attachment 221948
Reese is the real deal, I so hope she played at Tennessee, she would make the team so strong.,

Angel Reese is the big prize she would almost certainly be an immediate starter. We have ten returnees so I expect this class to be small like three at the most. Between Westbeld and Merritt my choice would be Merritt. Adding anyone that can shoot the three at about 40 percent would certainly be welcome in this class.

Reese is the real deal, I so hope she played at Tennessee, she would make the team so strong.,

Agree with Reese making us stronger! We need a REAL inside presence..... We have not had a inside offensive player in a long time.
Can we keep her away from Freese and leave the state? Wares recruitment is strange with her first list verses last list not counting the visits!!! Westbeld is from Ohio and with Ohio St. and Louisville closer not counting Notre Dame in the mix .... I doubt we could land her ??? Merritt being from Texas and not listing Texas or Baylor seems odd ??? But I would like to see more recruits from Texas .... JMO

TN is a finalist for 4 top 100s as per Raoul. They are Jordyn Merritt, Angel Reese, Lauren Ware, and Maddy Westbeld. Raul's website lists this info:

Jordyn Merritt: 6'2" F, TX, ESPNW #27

Angel Reese: 6'3" W, MD, ESPNW #2
(visiting TN 9/13)

Lauren Ware: 6'5" C, ND, ESPNW #30
(recently tore acl, plays vb and bb)

Madeline Westbeld: 6'2" F, OH, ESPNW #31
(sister played at ND)

Here's a little info on each. Can you add to it?
Not sure if Madison Hayes has released a top 5, but she has an official visit scheduled the same weekend as the Georgia game along with Maddy Westbeld October 4-6

Treasure Hunt
Treasure Hunt and Hamilton Heights Christian get biggest win after girls' basketball season

Treasure Hunt, a 6-foot-2 wing and the No. 36 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2020 class, averaged 19.4 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.3 steals last season against some of the nation's top teams.

In May, she was celebrating in Colorado Springs, Colorado, after winning the USA Basketball 3x3 U18 national title alongside Olivia Cochran, Madison Hayes and Raven Johnson. In the final, they beat a team composed of Haley Jones, Paige Bueckers, Samantha Brunelle and Hailey Van Lith.

"It was an amazing feeling beating all those top players on one team," Hunt said. "I had to prove to myself that I could beat them."

r543525_2_800x450_16-9.jpg

Thanks for the information. Jasmine is right about Treasure being better than her ! Treasure will be better ..... However , there games are very different! Jaz has more of a point guard mentality! Get the ball in the right persons hands and try not to make a mistake! Pass first and get the ball where it needs to go .
Treasure is a two or three guard who can take you to the goal or pull up jumper or take the shot from the three. Treasure is more of a scorer and Jasmine is more of a pass first . I am not sure but I believe that Treasure could play a forward if need be..... Her latest stats have at 6’1”—2”....? Her physical stature is a solid body type with no fat and is no skinny to her.... she will be able to hold her own on the inside if needed! This is the type of player you could use just about anywhere! She would be a good get if possible!??!

Playing with Madison Hayes is not new ...... I think I read somewhere that her and Treasure had been playing together since they were five or six years old ? Someone can look that up ? Could we sign both of them together? Is that too much to ask! 🙏

I cannot wait to see who is next to say “Yes!” to Kellie and the Lady Vols, and I haven’t been quite this interested in recruiting in many years. This may sound corny, but I think it’s because I’m already genuinely happy for whichever players come aboard. I feel such certainty that they will be signing on for something special that I’m curious to find who may have felt this powerful positive mojo, too.

:D

I cannot wait to see who is next to say “Yes!” to Kellie and the Lady Vols, and I haven’t been quite this interested in recruiting in many years. This may sound corny, but I think it’s because I’m already genuinely happy for whichever players come aboard. I feel such certainty that they will be signing on for something special that I’m curious to find who may have felt this powerful positive mojo, too.

:D
First to commit and the door is opennnn

Sakima Walker
High school girls basketball | Africentric collects 11th City League title

Sakima Walker, a 6-4 sophomore center who had 15 points, six rebounds and five blocked shots, said Africentric’s players talked about goals for this season in the locker room after winning the state title last March.

“We talked about being the first team here to go undefeated and go back-to-back,” she said. “We knew we had a chance to be special. We’re young, we’re talented, we’re extremely close and we’re always hungry for more.images (2).jpeg"

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
If that was in Feb., Walker should be identified as a junior. She is currently a senior and listed as a 2020 recruit.

Reactions: RollerVol

VN Store

Back