Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is the following

1. It’s one game. I don’t care if we had lost to a highschool team...it is one game in a long season. Let’s give these guys a chance to right the ship before condemning them after one lousy game. I am a Vol...no matter what the product we put on the field looks like. I will go to games and cheer and pour money into the program until the day I die..that’s what it means to bleed orange.

2. I believe what I saw last week was a team that got blindsided. They thought it was going to be a cakewalk and I think the coaches may have overlooked their opponent as well. I do not think it will happen again. Some of that is coaching and some of that is just kids wanting to win...I think people underestimate the culture that existed before the new guys got here last year. Culture as many will tell you is the hardest thing to change inside an organization and that is exactly what this is.

3. JG has an issue taking what he can do on the practice field to a game. I know for a fact that a lot of his primary targets and reads were totally ignored for some strange reason this past weekend and he had guys wide open. I am in the camp that you give him a half to show he can handle this...if not give one of the other kids a shot just to see what happens in a game time decision. I understand why there is some hesitation there...I have seen the other two in practice and for sure they are not where JG is....IN PRACTICE.

4. Knox media guys should be ashamed of themselves. They are talking about stuff they don’t have a damn clue about purely because they have been shut out of getting information and access with this new staff. They are taking full advantage of this and using it against the coaching staff and ultimately against the program. Circulating rumors all to try and drive revenue and eyeballs from a crappy situation.

5. JP isn’t going anywhere for right now...get it out of your heads. The best thing we can do is get behind this team and staff and support them for the season. It is year 2....and in theory really his year 1. Let him get his guys and lets see where the chips fall...if after another season it is not where it needs to be then we can address it. We would merely set our program back more than it already has been by having knee jerk reaction. Not to mention the fact that no half way decent coach regardless of the money would come here at this point.

I know folks are angry and that includes myself...but trying to burn folks at the stake after one terrible outing against a bad team is not going to do anyone any good.

I respect you ATL but so much of that is stuff we have heard countless times before, almost verbatim in some cases. How much can a fan take? We have been the guinea pigs in an experiment to see how much a fan can take. The answer, a lot. More than I would ever thought possible. I relocated from Texas to here and I know it may sound stupid but one of the major reasons, like top 3, is that I LOVE VOLS FOOTBALL. It is crushing to watch a team that gets beat by a Sun Belt team and look like they just don't care. There are those on here that are just "Hey we will get 'em next week!" I just can't any more. Someone inside this thing has got to have an answer as to why we just have accepted losing from the top down. Someone.

AV JG might be a practice player but sure is hell not a gamer, which is why I'd roll the dice and see if one of the other 2 has some moxie.

I really hope the staff gives a Freshman the nod. Can’t expect wins with JG he has had 3 yrs of starting to show when plays need to be made he is not the guy. Besides the Auburn game last year which was a complete anomaly thanks to our WRs.

Sorry boys, I know some are getting the feels now because some players are stepping up now and being vocal--- and I applaud them for it and thank them... but anyone who has played sports knows that at this level, one or two guys will not change the mindset of an entire team longterm.... it is a positive progression of a certain type of culture that everyone must buy into, and I don't buy this coaching staff right now.

This type of losing/behavior/lack of effort could be explained or defended in year one, with new coaches and players on their 2-3rd coach... but this is the year everyone should be on the same page and the others have been shown the door.

I am not buying what some of you are saying now about "Pruitt said how bad this roster was" ... that is a weak ass excuse. You are getting paid millions to mold it into success. You can point in any direction and find teams with far less talent, clicking on all cylinders and kicking ass... because they are united and give a rip... We have top to bottom more raw talent on our roster than GA St., yet they were a team that had bought into what their coach was selling and truly believed they would whip us, and THEY DID. We did not rise up, face adversity, we simply rolled over, let time run out, and then went out on the strip...

The players were over-rotated, didn't know what to do or where to line up, and generally didn't give a crap... many players didn't get rips they seemed to deserve and other got reps (Kurott got plenty of reps after threatening to transfer and Simmons didn't play??? WTF)

This staff is the problem. Simply put, they are paid to develop the talent they have and create the right culture of winning in the program that makes everyone want to be a part of and buy in.... and clearly they have not done so.

I will be very interested to see what happens Saturday. I truly hope we see a different team, but history and law of averages says we probably won't, which will totally suck. This is killing recruiting and we will not get out of the ditch for another 2-3 years. Maybe the universe will feel sorry for us and light a fire under these kids and make them care about the Power T they have on their uniforms, and fight for the pride of wearing it... I don't think the staff has yet.

Edit---- JG in year 3 is one of the poorest developed QB's in the country coming out of high school with that high of a ranking... sit the kid and give someone else who cares a try...

Ok I lied I didn’t sell my tickets to BYU fans. I did sell them though. I’m over the loss. Gotta won’t the next two convincingly though.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Our best unit is our veteran senior wideouts. Callaway, Jennings, Palmer and DWA are more than capable of winning 50/50 balls and back shoulder throws down the field. Especially if the running game is working and it’s play action.

Again, practice Crouch all week at RB with Ty and Gray. Go into Saturday night with the game plan of smash mouth running with Crouch and speed/edge running with Ty and Gray. I saw that BYU DL, they’re not good. Run it right at them over and over and over and call play action once in awhile and throw the damn ball up to our playmakers. The offense needs juice. The entire team needs juice. Go create some with your playmakers and run right at those pasty white Mormons.

Hello coach Helton.

Reactions: chargervol
I respect you ATL but so much of that is stuff we have heard countless times before, almost verbatim in some cases. How much can a fan take? We have been the guinea pigs in an experiment to see how much a fan can take. The answer, a lot. More than I would ever thought possible. I relocated from Texas to here and I know it may sound stupid but one of the major reasons, like top 3, is that I LOVE VOLS FOOTBALL. It is crushing to watch a team that gets beat by a Sun Belt team and look like they just don't care. There are those on here that are just "Hey we will get 'em next week!" I just can't any more. Someone inside this thing has got to have an answer as to why we just have accepted losing from the top down. Someone.

I just don't understand why people think Pruitt will be fired any time soon. You have to ride with who we have and hope that things change.

I still think the team has talent to win 6-7 games. It's now a mindset.

Reactions: drvenner
I really hope the staff gives a Freshman the nod. Can’t expect wins with JG he has had 3 hrs of starting to show when plays need to be made he is not the guy. Besides the Auburn game last year which was a complete anomaly thanks to our WRs.
not mobile at all... none
zero pocket awareness
afraid to throw an interception... its gon f'n happen
you cant play 2 pair in fear that you're gonna run into trips
sometimes you just gotta pay the man
win a little more than your opponent when u win
Lose a little less when u lose
That slow leak in his game is the direct result of YOUR balls
So be a man, learn to read a defense and chuck that mf'r downfield

1. It’s one game. I don’t care if we had lost to a highschool team...it is one game in a long season. Let’s give these guys a chance to right the ship before condemning them after one lousy game. I am a Vol...no matter what the product we put on the field looks like. I will go to games and cheer and pour money into the program until the day I die..that’s what it means to bleed orange.

2. I believe what I saw last week was a team that got blindsided. They thought it was going to be a cakewalk and I think the coaches may have overlooked their opponent as well. I do not think it will happen again. Some of that is coaching and some of that is just kids wanting to win...I think people underestimate the culture that existed before the new guys got here last year. Culture as many will tell you is the hardest thing to change inside an organization and that is exactly what this is.

3. JG has an issue taking what he can do on the practice field to a game. I know for a fact that a lot of his primary targets and reads were totally ignored for some strange reason this past weekend and he had guys wide open. I am in the camp that you give him a half to show he can handle this...if not give one of the other kids a shot just to see what happens in a game time decision. I understand why there is some hesitation there...I have seen the other two in practice and for sure they are not where JG is....IN PRACTICE.

4. Knox media guys should be ashamed of themselves. They are talking about stuff they don’t have a damn clue about purely because they have been shut out of getting information and access with this new staff. They are taking full advantage of this and using it against the coaching staff and ultimately against the program. Circulating rumors all to try and drive revenue and eyeballs from a crappy situation.

5. JP isn’t going anywhere for right now...get it out of your heads. The best thing we can do is get behind this team and staff and support them for the season. It is year 2....and in theory really his year 1. Let him get his guys and lets see where the chips fall...if after another season it is not where it needs to be then we can address it. We would merely set our program back more than it already has been by having knee jerk reaction. Not to mention the fact that no half way decent coach regardless of the money would come here at this point.

I know folks are angry and that includes myself...but trying to burn folks at the stake after one terrible outing against a bad team is not going to do anyone any good.

I agree 100%. I posted a thread about this very thing the other day. Some of the things I’ve seen from fans and media outlets are just ridiculous. They’re not helping the situation, but only making it worse.

Reactions: SmokinBob
And, though I think you are making this point, I just want to explicitly state it: Those of us who are more down than others are no less Tennessee fans than those of you who taking a more positive tone. If we ALL can agree on one thing it's this: if Tennessee football means enough to us that we are still on here cussin' and discussin' it, we bleed Orange. We all love Tennessee and are simply divergent in how this unfathomable event has affected us.

Ok I lied I didn’t sell my tickets to BYU fans. I did sell them though. I’m over the loss. Gotta won’t the next two convincingly though.

tenor.gif

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
You Know.These comments from Jauan make sense.Hes a Local Kid from tennessee,his hometown is Knoxville.Growing up around the university witnessing the good ole glory days.He knows what it means to attend this school,put on the jersey and play for the university of Tennessee,with such rich tradition and major accomplishments he knows.i think he’s the last hope we have to lite a fire under these younger guys ass and I think that’s the issue.these kids coming in here now,only know what this university is Today we haven’t been winning for a while and definitely Not what it used to be.They just have no clue what they are going out there to play for.For years these kids have been given a easy ride at our expense Free food,Education,Clothing Apparel and travel,that’s not even including what’s given to them when they decide to make a
“Bowl Appearance”.
This generation and the kids coming in have a lot of attitude and guidance problems.thats why I think this is a emergency call to have all Alumni (Former players) (VFL’s) surround these kids and show them the way.when old folks walk into a room the younger generation listens.i personally think they all need a Albert Haynesworth,John Henderson,Big Al Wilson ass bustin and then send em up to the “Preacher” Reggie White and have him cleanse them out back.Ive had enough.im tired of losing.this is the way.surround these boys with the greats and dare em to question them on how to play the damn game.
His hometown is Murfreesboro

And, though I think you are making this point, I just want to explicitly state it: Those of us who are more down than others are no less Tennessee fans than those of you who taking a more positive tone. If we ALL can agree on one thing it's this: if Tennessee football means enough to us that we are still on here cussin' and discussin' it, we bleed Orange. We all love Tennessee and are simply divergent in how this unfathomable event has affected us.
cussin' and discussin' ..... nice

Reactions: volsfan_17

As always, appreciate the information you bring.

However, I don’t think anyone is advocating for Pruitt to be fired AT THIS POINT. But I think we’ve all become experts at knowing when the train is off the tracks.

Sure, maybe he’ll get another year and he’ll likely deserve it if we get to 5 or 6 wins. But the clock started on Saturday and now we’re just waiting for the bomb to drop.

Reactions: UT_King

Nathan Peterman & Justin Worley both looked fantastic in practice from all accounts as well...we unfortunately hampered Dobbs' career holding on to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back