2019 CFB Week 1 Musings

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
I was certain there would be a thread like this, already... I propose 1 thread each week in which to post varied observations about the overall CFB action. Whoever starts it, we all adhere to one general thread for each week. Clearly, there will be plenty of game specific threads, etc.

Other than the Miami-UF comedy of errors preview, CFB got underway yesterday, 8/29/19. These are a few of my thoughts on the early contests.

> FCS SDSU was leading Minnesota in the 3rd period. Only a 4th quarter score of 8 points saved Minnie's bacon.
> FCS Central Arkansas defeated WKU, scoring 21 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. Ouch, Helton.
> Cincinnati defeated UCLA by a margin of 10 points, holding the Bruins to two TDs. Holy baby blue, batman! It forebodes ill for La La Land.
> Utah curb stomped in-state arch rival BYU. Apparently, there is some benefit to being a member of the PAC.
> UCF 62, FAMU 0. Why was this game played? We know the arguments for big universities granting big stage access to smaller in-state schools, but Jimminy Cricket! The famous FAMU band wasn't even there. They were in Houston for The Battle of the Bands. This wasn't to show off FAMU on a bigger stage. This wasn't a paycheck game. This was selling a kidney on the black market.
> Good luck, GT. Hope you can build a competitive program with the new direction you've implemented. You scored twice on mighty Clemson, who outscored you even during mop up play.

Saturday's headlines are all about the upsets.
UNC can upset SoCar, but Mack Brown cannot dance.
With their store-bought QB and only the regular season, Mizzou have been touted as capable, motivated spoilers. Their opening day was spoiled by Wyoming.
Columbia's home team wasn't the only SEC team to surrender to their G5 opponent. Vols fans are reliving North Texas State 1975.
Purdue gave up their virtue to Nevada.

But wait! There's more!

North Carolina pulled off an upset and beat South Carolina 24-20. I still can't see the Tarholes winning more than 3 games this season.

Why does Duke play Bama? I can understand why small schools that don't have a lot of cash play big schools for the money, but Duke isn't in the poor house, and they aren't going to hang with Alabama. I don't see what's in it for Duke. This isn't a home home sees is it?

Boise State beyotch slapped FSU. But, is this truly an upset?

In the sense that a Group of 5 team won on the road against a P5 ACC team, yes, I'd consider it somewhat of an upset. Boise State is one of a very, very, small number of Group of 5 teams that I really wouldn't be surprised to see win against a fair number of Power 5 schools.

Why does Duke play Bama? I can understand why small schools that don't have a lot of cash play big schools for the money, but Duke isn't in the poor house, and they aren't going to hang with Alabama. I don't see what's in it for Duke. This isn't a home home sees is it?

A lot of schools do say no thanks. It's always a marquee game in the national spotlight against a Bama team that invites millions to tune in. Duke didn't have to accept the game but they were offered. They get their brand out there. It's good for recruiting and always a chance they play well. Which they did.

Frankly, Bama is now saying no to the neutral site more often going forward. The fans want more. The home and home is the only answer to that.

It's the yearly SEC-ACC season opening matchup and in 2020 Georgia Tech plays Notre Dame.

A couple of other schools pulled out of the game. Duke was 3rd choice at best.

The fact of the matter is that absolutely no one has hung with Bama in these opening week matchups.

Future Chick Fil A Kickoff Games

September 5th: Florida State vs West Virginia
September 7th: Georgia vs Virginia
September 12th: North Carolina vs Auburn

Alabama vs Miami
Louisville vs Ole Miss

Georgia vs Oregon
Georgia Tech vs Clemson

Georgia vs Clemson

I thought it was a kickoff game but Georgia Tech is going to start playing a few of their home games in Mercedes Benz Stadium the next few seasons.

Probably to get more money since they know Notre Dame and Clemson will fill the place.

After one week, I would say that there are a lot of Power 5 teams that are look weaker than expected - Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, Missouri, FSU, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona.

And Tennessee.

After one week, I would say that there are a lot of Power 5 teams that are look weaker than expected - Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, Missouri, FSU, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona.

And Tennessee.

Nebraska would only be a surprise if you're still working off of UCF results for Frost. Otherwise, Frost winning any game in Lincoln is a major improvement

Dang, now I feel worse. The loss made me forget, but if Tennessee had just won by a point, I could have spent this whole week making fun of how bad Florida’s O is.

But they didn’t so I’m back to simply complaining.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back