Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

I did not enjoy Buffalo Trace. I enjoy Four Roses. I've had the small batch and single barrel. The single barrel isn't worth the extra price tag imo. I can get a 1.75 for what a 750 costs. My next to try will probably be Evan Williams single barrel.

Currently:

Scotch: Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 16
Bourbon: Woodford Double Oaked, Jefferson Ocean and Four Rose Small Batch Select (only available in four states so far but will be nationwide and available soon. So, so good).
Whiskey: Just had Woodford Wheat. Incredible.
Best bang for the buck: Old Forrester 100 proof. at $25 this drinks like a $40 bottle and you don't feel bad mixing with coke if you want but is great neat or as a cocktail.

Surprised about at the Four Roses talk, it's typically not a very good bourbon but hey to each their own!

1.Scotch-balvinie 15yr single barrel
2. Whiskey-crown cask 16
3. Bourbon-rowland's creek

What are you calling whiskey? Because bourbon is whiskey. So is scotch. Whiskey is the generic term under which they fall. So are you using whiskey simply to describe all whiskey that isn’t bourbon or scotch?

What are you calling whiskey? Because bourbon is whiskey. So is scotch. Whiskey is the generic term under which they fall. So are you using whiskey simply to describe all whiskey that isn’t bourbon or scotch?

Just to pick a nit, scotch is whisky and the absence of the e is a point of contention among many scotch aficionados. Whiskey with an e refers to Irish and American products. Although I don't know the history of it, Canadian and Japanese distilleries use the whisky spelling, which probably cements the fact that none of it really matters except to persnickety snobs. Wait, am I one of them for having written all this?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I did not enjoy Buffalo Trace. I enjoy Four Roses. I've had the small batch and single barrel. The single barrel isn't worth the extra price tag imo. I can get a 1.75 for what a 750 costs. My next to try will probably be Evan Williams single barrel.

This lines up with what I read on a few bourbon websites saying the small batch is much better than the single barrel. I'll have to try Four Roses small batch next time.

Yes. My friend bought a bottle of 15 year Glenlivet one time. He tried one shot and gave me the bottle to finish. I only drank it because it was free alcohol.
Yeah my wife’s uncle is a scotch snob always makes me try some at Christmas. Hate it every time.

Reactions: VolNExile
Peat is definitely an acquired taste

Yeah, and my favorites tend to be a bit peaty and smoky, but one of the good things about scotch is the wide variety of styles. Some are much lighter, even sweet or fruity or floral or whatever. Here's a good dartboard target for exploration:

5VLzR.jpg

Seasons in Turkey Creek has Blanton's. $14 for a shot though but damn worth it.

Got bottles of Oban Little Bay and a Glenmorangie Lasanta (Sherry Cask) earlier to sip on the patio while in Myrtle Beach.

Tried the Oban and thought it was pretty good. Definitely still a novice to the Scotch thing tho.

Reactions: pismonque
@Proud Army Wife
Hey to answer your question, my favorite is Blantons and its not even close. Good luck finding it unless you live near Kentucky. I have one bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, its sorta the crown jewel of bourbons. Im saving mine for a special occasion in novemeber this year.

For me, ive always been a jack daniels drinker, no 7 and 27. And I still drink it alot. When I first got into bourbon, I got caught up in the sought after name brands, pappy, weller, blantons, whistle pig, col e.h. Taylor, goerge t stagg, william larue weller, heaven hill 27 etc.
I have learned that there are lots of good bourbons in the 20-40 range that are really good.
I use heaven hill and buffalo trace to mix ol fashions. But if im drinking neat, some of my favorites are stranahans and Breckenridge (colorado) Redemption, tin cup, four roses single barrell, irons one, jeffers creek (similair to weller), angel envy, high west (all types) TX, 1792.
Some of the more expensive that I have that are great are jefferson ocean, bookers, Clyde mays 10 year.

A few tips.....
Read the website breakingbourbon, gives a review of everything and gives release updates.
Bourbons even in the same brand are very different, for instance four roses single barrell select is much different than four roses.
Bourbon snobs will tell you if it isnt make in kentucky, it isnt bourbon. But there are some great bourbons made in lots of places, short mountain in tennessee, Chattanooga 1816, texas, colorado, Louisiana etc.
If you are ever in a store and see the following, but as much as you can afford, you can resell with a profit easily.....Pappy Van Winkle (likely will never see it, theres a website called pursuit of pappy that will help you find it to try), Blantons, William Larue Weller, Weller Special Reserve, Belle Meade Honey. If you ever find pappy, blantons, or belle meade honey ill buy all you have. The others you can resale about anywhere.

@Proud Army Wife
Hey to answer your question, my favorite is Blantons and its not even close. Good luck finding it unless you live near Kentucky. I have one bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, its sorta the crown jewel of bourbons. Im saving mine for a special occasion in novemeber this year.

For me, ive always been a jack daniels drinker, no 7 and 27. And I still drink it alot. When I first got into bourbon, I got caught up in the sought after name brands, pappy, weller, blantons, whistle pig, col e.h. Taylor, goerge t stagg, william larue weller, heaven hill 27 etc.
I have learned that there are lots of good bourbons in the 20-40 range that are really good.
I use heaven hill and buffalo trace to mix ol fashions. But if im drinking neat, some of my favorites are stranahans and Breckenridge (colorado) Redemption, tin cup, four roses single barrell, irons one, jeffers creek (similair to weller), angel envy, high west (all types) TX, 1792.
Some of the more expensive that I have that are great are jefferson ocean, bookers, Clyde mays 10 year.

A few tips.....
Read the website breakingbourbon, gives a review of everything and gives release updates.
Bourbons even in the same brand are very different, for instance four roses single barrell select is much different than four roses.
Bourbon snobs will tell you if it isnt make in kentucky, it isnt bourbon. But there are some great bourbons made in lots of places, short mountain in tennessee, Chattanooga 1816, texas, colorado, Louisiana etc.
If you are ever in a store and see the following, but as much as you can afford, you can resell with a profit easily.....Pappy Van Winkle (likely will never see it, theres a website called pursuit of pappy that will help you find it to try), Blantons, William Larue Weller, Weller Special Reserve, Belle Meade Honey. If you ever find pappy, blantons, or belle meade honey ill buy all you have. The others you can resale about anywhere.
Thank you! I'll never be able to afford pappy lol. I wish! How did you get your hands on a bottle? I've heard/tried a lot of those. My favorite affordable option is knobs creek. I also enjoy Makers Mark (never neat), four roses and buffalo trace. Tried tin cup, wasn't impressed. Pricier picks are the jack Daniel's single barrel and eagles rare. I just so happen to live on the TN/ky border and blantons is in stock at my local liquor stores, but yeah, way out of my price range at the moment. Even though bourbons are my fave, I also enjoy scotch and Irish whiskeys from time to time. I've got my eye on the Johnny Walker blue currently. I've got a punch card from a local store in my area that I'm waiting to use to score a bottle.

Thank you! I'll never be able to afford pappy lol. I wish! How did you get your hands on a bottle? I've heard/tried a lot of those. My favorite affordable option is knobs creek. I also enjoy Makers Mark (never neat), four roses and buffalo trace. Tried tin cup, wasn't impressed. Pricier picks are the jack Daniel's single barrel and eagles rare. I just so happen to live on the TN/ky border and blantons is in stock at my local liquor stores, but yeah, way out of my price range at the moment. Even though bourbons are my fave, I also enjoy scotch and Irish whiskeys from time to time. I've got my eye on the Johnny Walker blue currently. I've got a punch card from a local store in my area that I'm waiting to use to score a bottle.
Nice, yeah I like alot of others....too many to name. For the pappy, I bought two bottles for 700, a 10 and 12 year from a guy I know. I sold the 12 for 400 to get some money back.
To me, blantons is the best by far....I have two bottles. One was a gift for when I left my last Marine unit. The other I got at an abc store in alabama. I went in looking for irons one and he said he had 1 bottle in the back so I bought it.
Eagle rate is good too. Basil Hayden is another moderately priced one that is good.
Ill let you know if I try anything new that is good. I try new stuff often.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Nice, yeah I like alot of others....too many to name. For the pappy, I bought two bottles for 700, a 10 and 12 year from a guy I know. I sold the 12 for 400 to get some money back.
To me, blantons is the best by far....I have two bottles. One was a gift for when I left my last Marine unit. The other I got at an abc store in alabama. I went in looking for irons one and he said he had 1 bottle in the back so I bought it.
Eagle rate is good too. Basil Hayden is another moderately priced one that is good.
Ill let you know if I try anything new that is good. I try new stuff often.
Maybe I'll have to get me a bottle of Blantons and save it for my husband's return from Korea.

Reactions: volfannbama

VN Store

Back