Playstation 5 official unveil reportedly set for February 2020

Brave Volunteer

PS5 Reveal Reportedly Set For February 2020, Ghost Of Tsushima Coming To PS5 - PlayStation Universe

PS5 Reveal Reportedly Set For February 2020, Ghost Of Tsushima Coming To PS5

Sony will blow the lid off the PS5 at a PlayStation Meeting event in February 2020, according to a leaked marketing email from the console maker. Sony has already shared many details on its next-generation console, including an extensive feature list that includes PS4 backwards compatibility, an SSD, ray-tracing, and 8K support.

Nothing official has been confirmed at this point, so don’t put all your eggs in one basket just yet. However, if we’re to believe the murmurs, the PlayStation Meeting will take place on February 12, and will reveal “the future of Sony PlayStation to the whole world,” with Sony looking to invite companies including Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and more.

Elsewhere, the leak also claims that Ghost of Tsushima is now coming to the PS5, and Sony is also working on the long-rumorued PSVR 2, which will reportedly be revealed before FY2021.

To be fair, a February PS5 reveal would make sense. Back in 2013, Sony unveiled the PS4 during a special event in February in New York City, so it sounds quite likely it will use a similar strategy for its next console. Still, take it with a pinch of salt just in case.

While the hardware giant hasn’t confirmed an official release date for its next-generation system, a Wall Street Journal report claims that the PS5 will arrive in holiday 2020. This puts it out in the same time frame as the Xbox Scarlett from Microsoft.

A number of developers have recently spoke out about the arrival of new systems. Ubisoft reckons they will offer a ‘major leap‘ over the PS4 and Xbox One, while Platinum Games feels they will be ‘more of the same.’

Meanwhile, Jack Tretton, the former head of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), feels that Sony will face ‘exponentially more competition’ with PS5 than it did in the current hardware cycle. Electronic Arts has also revealed that it has been working on games for Sony and Microsoft’s new systems for some time.

Also here's a little bit of "insider" information regarding PS5's power...

BREAKING: THIS IS PS5. According to this leak- the GPU will be clocked at an insane 2ghz.

This equates to 9.2 TF on the RDNA architecture. Or roughly 14 TF on the GCN Architecture aka over double the power of the X1X. Almost RTX2080 power.

In English: it's very powerful

This comes from a supposed AMD document leak

Oberon A0.
Gen2 : GFXCLK = 2.000GHz <- PS5
Gen1 : GFXCLK = 0.911Ghz <- PS4 Pro
Gen0 : GFXCLK = 0.800Ghz <- PS4

Biggest things I'm hoping for are:

-Being able to instantly (or close to it) jump into gameplay after turning on the system. It sounds like the new SSD technology will make that feasible, or at least eliminate virtually all load times after a game has launched.

-Being able to choose to between 1080p/1440p/60 FPS and 4K/30 FPS on games that the system can't run at 4K/60 FPS. I would actually imagine that early titles will be 4K/60 FPS because that's certainly possible on a 2080 right now on many titles. It's really hard to go back to console when I'm used to playing everything at 1440p/60 FPS on PC.

-Better VR. The PSVR was underwhelming, and in fact, all current VR offerings are fairly underwhelming. I think it won't be until the PS6 generation that VR is truly seamless and as breathtaking as it could/should be, but the display really needs to be 4K per eye. That will require some major graphical wizardry due to the insane technical requirements but it will be worth it, IMO.

Biggest things I'm hoping for are:

-Being able to instantly (or close to it) jump into gameplay after turning on the system. It sounds like the new SSD technology will make that feasible, or at least eliminate virtually all load times after a game has launched.

-Being able to choose to between 1080p/1440p/60 FPS and 4K/30 FPS on games that the system can't run at 4K/60 FPS. I would actually imagine that early titles will be 4K/60 FPS because that's certainly possible on a 2080 right now on many titles. It's really hard to go back to console when I'm used to playing everything at 1440p/60 FPS on PC.

-Better VR. The PSVR was underwhelming, and in fact, all current VR offerings are fairly underwhelming. I think it won't be until the PS6 generation that VR is truly seamless and as breathtaking as it could/should be, but the display really needs to be 4K per eye. That will require some major graphical wizardry due to the insane technical requirements but it will be worth it, IMO.

I'm a huge believer in VR but I do agree the tech needs more time in the oven. The only thing I've heard so far with PSVR 2.0 is that it's rumored to be unveiled in 2021 but I don't know about when it will launch. The main things I want are...

A smaller/lighter design
4K/120fps (and get rid of the screen door effect)
180 degree FOV (PSVR I believe is only 100)
Both head AND Eye tracking 1:1
Wireless (this will be tough and I would be willing to concede this feature if Sony can at least reduce the amount of wires significantly, but wireless would be more ideal)
Complete overhaul of interactive motion controller design (this has been confirmed to be happening)
Built in headphones with Dolby Atmos surround sound
A better way to handle locomotion to eliminate or reduce motion sickness (I'm prone to this).

I enjoy the VR, yes it could be better..Astro bot is a blast to play. But I’m sold on the idea of it, wireless would be great

I guess I'm just getting old; I feel like the PS4 just came out. I mean yeah it's been almost 6 years but man it doesn't feel like it.

I guess part of it is when I was growing up, when there was a system jump it really was evident that you were now playing something bigger. For example the minute I started playing Super Mario World, it was immediately apparent things had changed and that the Super NES was bigger than the NES. Now it takes a good year in most cases for games to start looking different from the previous gen; most games at first look like high end last gen version. IMO it hasn't been since the PlayStation to PS2 jump that you got that automatic feeling.

I guess I'm just getting old; I feel like the PS4 just came out. I mean yeah it's been almost 6 years but man it doesn't feel like it.

I guess part of it is when I was growing up, when there was a system jump it really was evident that you were now playing something bigger. For example the minute I started playing Super Mario World, it was immediately apparent things had changed and that the Super NES was bigger than the NES. Now it takes a good year in most cases for games to start looking different from the previous gen; most games at first look like high end last gen version. IMO it hasn't been since the PlayStation to PS2 jump that you got that automatic feeling.

I agree. I know a lot of people disagreed with me the last time I posted this, but I can go back to games from 2007 and they don't look or feel that antiquated. I just played through Mass Effect 1 on PC and it looked pretty damn good. Same with stuff like Bioshock and Crysis, both from 2007 as well. But going back 12 years from the PS2's launch had you looking at basic sprites on the NES.

I think that the next big leaps will be ray-tracing and VR. It's pretty clear that framerate will never be a major priority for devs outside of a few franchises, but I'm hopeful they will at least give the option to select between 4K @ 30 FPS and 1080p @ 60 FPS.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I'm hopeful they will at least give the option to select between 4K @ 30 FPS and 1080p @ 60 FPS.
I'm fine with that as long as the choices stop there. I dont want consoles to become like PC's where you have endless resolution/graphic and framerate options. Just make it a simple "either/or." One of the main reasons I prefer consoles to PC's is because of their simplicity.

I'm fine with that as long as the choices stop there. I dont want consoles to become like PC's where you have endless resolution/graphic and framerate options. Just make it a simple "either/or." One of the main reasons I prefer consoles to PC's is because of their simplicity.

Yeah I think that's as far as they would go. It's like what the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X already offer. Some people don't mind 30 FPS and want 4K, others prefer a lower resolution and better framerate.

How much is this bad boy gonna cost? Will be the deciding factor if I jump back to Sony. Haven't owned a PlayStation since PS2.

I agree. I know a lot of people disagreed with me the last time I posted this, but I can go back to games from 2007 and they don't look or feel that antiquated. I just played through Mass Effect 1 on PC and it looked pretty damn good. Same with stuff like Bioshock and Crysis, both from 2007 as well. But going back 12 years from the PS2's launch had you looking at basic sprites on the NES.

I think that the next big leaps will be ray-tracing and VR. It's pretty clear that framerate will never be a major priority for devs outside of a few franchises, but I'm hopeful they will at least give the option to select between 4K @ 30 FPS and 1080p @ 60 FPS.

I agree. To me there isn't really that much of a jump between say Gears of War 3 and 4. And I just played through Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered and AC Rogue Remastered, and yeah they got a slight boost but it's still generally the same game and it's not like I kept thinking the whole time "This is clearly a last gen game".

Reactions: Aesius

I agree. To me there isn't really that much of a jump between say Gears of War 3 and 4. And I just played through Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered and AC Rogue Remastered, and yeah they got a slight boost but it's still generally the same game and it's not like I kept thinking the whole time "This is clearly a last gen game".

VR is the next quantum leap in gaming. It really does completely change the gaming experience and the level of immersion compared to standard TV gaming....it's not comparable honestly. Resident Evil 7 on a TV is a great game. Resident Evil 7 in VR terrified the holy hell out me!

I disagreed with you then and 100% disagree with you now :). There isn’t any game from “2007” or even as late as 2012 that is even comparable to the graphics we have now (only talking console). JMO

I’m with you on ray tracing, I think it will define the next gen. If the next gen consoles aren’t capable of 4K 60fps as the base, then its a waste IMO. PC has been capable of that for a while now.

I disagreed with you then and 100% disagree with you now :). There isn’t any game from “2007” or even as late as 2012 that is even comparable to the graphics we have now (only talking console). JMO

I’m with you on ray tracing, I think it will define the next gen. If the next gen consoles aren’t capable of 4K 60fps as the base, then its a waste IMO. PC has been capable of that for a while now.

The comparison videos I've seen on youtube showing ray tracing on and off haven't been too impressive to me. Maybe they're just using bad examples, but the only thing that looked impressive to me were the Spiderman shots with ray tracing on.

If I got to choose where they focused, it would be on much higher FPS instead of 4k, 8k, or anything else.

The comparison videos I've seen on youtube showing ray tracing on and off haven't been too impressive to me. Maybe they're just using bad examples, but the only thing that looked impressive to me were the Spiderman shots with ray tracing on.

If I got to choose where they focused, it would be on much higher FPS instead of 4k, 8k, or anything else.

Ray tracing will eventually be filed in the same category as lens flares, anti-aliasing, god rays, and volumetric lighting. It will dazzle people initially but as with any other new "flavor of the month" graphics technique, gamers will get used to seeing it and ultimately what will matter is great game design.

I've said it before but for me, what keeps me gaming after all these years is great story telling. I am a gamer 100% because of the single player, narrative-driven, character focused action/adventure genre and personally, I feel that genre has grown exponentially in quality over the years! Not just in graphics but in game design, voice acting, story, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: tweezervol

Well the "console only" stipulation changes things because you're looking at gimped 720p and below resolutions that of course make those games look like ass now. When you play those games at 1440p or especially 4K you realize that the engines still hold up fairly well. Again, I'm not saying graphics haven't evolved at all, but for 12 years the progress has been very slow. The problem is that the PS4/Xbox One were weak right out of the gate and their half-step improvements really only boosted resolution or framerate. I expect to see a pretty significant leap with Scarlett/PS5 though.

Reactions: BearCat204
Well the "console only" stipulation changes things because you're looking at gimped 720p and below resolutions that of course make those games look like ass now. When you play those games at 1440p or especially 4K you realize that the engines still hold up fairly well. Again, I'm not saying graphics haven't evolved at all, but for 12 years the progress has been very slow. The problem is that the PS4/Xbox One were weak right out of the gate and their half-step improvements really only boosted resolution or framerate. I expect to see a pretty significant leap with Scarlett/PS5 though.
No doubt with consoles being weak. Comparatively they were way behind 5 year old PCs when the PS4/Xbone released.

Reactions: Aesius
The PS5 developers kit design has leaked. Holy hell is this thing ugly! LOL!! I'm glad it's just the dev kit and not the final design.

nieuwe-console.jpg

ECbAcWmXsAEF0-i

ECbAeENW4AElxPd

ECbAicvXUAEr9sJ

ECbAj38XsAAptEV

What a waste of money. It's a dev kit. Instead of more ram, bigger drives, or adding features like PSN name changes we pay for some stupid designer to create this hunk of crap.

What a waste of money. It's a dev kit. Instead of more ram, bigger drives, or adding features like PSN name changes we pay for some stupid designer to create this hunk of crap.
Closer and closer to dropping consoles and goin g straight PC

Dev kit rendered..

Attachments

• 948BFDF4-6EB7-417D-A04B-97822A18F579.jpeg
    948BFDF4-6EB7-417D-A04B-97822A18F579.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 480A3195-6195-4C59-9439-A53E6E8F3C6D.jpeg
    480A3195-6195-4C59-9439-A53E6E8F3C6D.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 29
You do realize next gen is starting next year, right? Did you NOT expect PS5 dev kits to exist in the wild at this point? Besides, oddly designed dev kits are nothing new. I feel like you're bitching about nothing. Oh and you can change your username on PSN now...

As detailed on the PlayStation Blog, you can change your PSN name either on your PS4 or via a web browser.
To change your PSN name on your PS4, go to Settings, then select Account Management > Account Information > Profile > Online ID. Enter a new PSN name of your choosing (or one of the suggestions), and then follow the onscreen prompts to complete the change.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back