It was a dark and stormy night...

StrangeVol

but in spite of a two-hour weather (monsoon/lightening) delay, the Lady Vols defeated a game Fordham team 3-1, and in my opinion, it could have easily been 4-nil. Fordham is a scrappy team with just a few too many grabs and shoves for my taste but they play good overall defense. Their offense needs a good bit of work to make them a serious threat, but they do defend really well.

It was a good outing for the first game of the season for our side, a little rough or uncertain play throughout the match, a few freshman mistakes, and some outstanding plays by our upperclassmen. MA Vignola is a force! When she gets her head up on the ball she is damn hard to stop or even slow down. Katie was just Katie...two assists and multiple brilliant passes mixed with several takeaways. Just another day at the office for Katie. :)

The thing I learned that is most important is that we have talent...LOTS of talent all over the pitch. Experience? Not so much but we definitely have some future stars amongst the new faces on the roster who will be lead by a handful of very experienced and battle-hardened upperclassmen. It was great to see Erin Gilroy back on the pitch! She is going to be a major factor in determining how far we go this season.

Here's the story from UT Sports: No. 10 Vols Dispatch Fordham 3-1 On Opening Night - University of Tennessee Athletics

excellent stuff SV...just saw till 40:45, then caught 15 minutes before halftime...the delay didn't hurt the Lady Vols at all...this could be another special season...lots of ladies got some game time...good win...of course any win is good...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

but in spite of a two-hour weather (monsoon/lightening) delay, the Lady Vols defeated a game Fordham team 3-1, and in my opinion, it could have easily been 4-nil. Fordham is a scrappy team with just a few too many grabs and shoves for my taste but they play good overall defense. Their offense needs a good bit of work to make them a serious threat, but they do defend really well.

It was a good outing for the first game of the season for our side, a little rough or uncertain play throughout the match, a few freshman mistakes, and some outstanding plays by our upperclassmen. MA Vignola is a force! When she gets her head up on the ball she is damn hard to stop or even slow down. Katie was just Katie...two assists and multiple brilliant passes mixed with several takeaways. Just another day at the office for Katie. :)

The thing I learned that is most important is that we have talent...LOTS of talent all over the pitch. Experience? Not so much but we definitely have some future stars amongst the new faces on the roster who will be lead by a handful of very experienced and battle-hardened upperclassmen. It was great to see Erin Gilroy back on the pitch! She is going to be a major factor in determining how far we go this season.

Here's the story from UT Sports: No. 10 Vols Dispatch Fordham 3-1 On Opening Night - University of Tennessee Athletics
Yep and couldn't agree more!!! I watch it all and that bad luck to even give up the goal was a scrum! We will be ok this year and better as we move along. Katie is a cut above most every team and she has the best footwork I have ever seen. MA is MA again ! JMHO as always! SS

Yep and couldn't agree more!!! I watch it all and that bad luck to even give up the goal was a scrum! We will be ok this year and better as we move along. Katie is a cut above most every team and she has the best footwork I have ever seen. MA is MA again ! JMHO as always! SS

Their goal in the 89th minute kinda chapped me a bit. Our freshman Keeper will learn to either catch the shot or deflect it up and over the top bar and NOT to block it back into the box with 5 maroon jerseys just standing the waiting to pounce. The very definition of a freshman mistake. We also should have scored at least one if not two more goals if we had been just a bit more accurate with our shots. The openings were there, we just didn't hit them. We'll do better against Mercer on Sunday! :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back