JG named to 2019 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list

Not to knock JG but ill never understand how its an honor to be one of 49 players on a watch list. Arent there like 130 FBS teams? So over 1/3 of them are on the watch list? Why even have a watch list?

You just found a long way to say JG doesent deserve it. He’s good at what he does. He’s a Volunteer. He’ll be a VFL. How about supporting the man instead inventing new ways to hate on him

Not to knock JG but ill never understand how its an honor to be one of 49 players on a watch list. Arent there like 130 FBS teams? So over 1/3 of them are on the watch list? Why even have a watch list?

When you start a conversation with not to knock on someone and then proceed to do it anyway.........I feel like Ron Swanson would have something to say about your effort and not knocking someone.

The guy was top 50 in passing efficiency and tied for first in fewest int’s in qualified passers last year. He is a prime candidate for a breakout year. I just don’t understand all the hate for him in this forum. He’s roughly where Josh Dobbs was heading into his second full season as starter. He’s got slightly fewer TDs and several fewer interceptions. I know it’s not an even comparison and maybe Dobbs had a higher ceiling even if he was a bit more erratic in his decision making. I’m just saying we don’t know what we don’t know, we didn’t know how much of a stud we had in Dobbs and we don’t quite know what we’ve got with Jarret either.

The backup QB is always the most popular player on the roster...

When you start a conversation with not to knock on someone and then proceed to do it anyway.........I feel like Ron Swanson would have something to say about your effort and not knocking someone.

It’s a lot like saying no disrespect but....

You know all to well someone is fixing to disrespect you

Reactions: RollerVol
JG will be right up there with Tua this year. Get excited!

If this is true, I don't care if it's Brian Maurer or Jarret Gaurantano, we're winning a lot of games this season.

I'm so tired of the off-season and the arguments. I just want to see these boys play!

Reactions: OneVolNation
Yeah yeah yeah. There's no I in team. If our O line somehow comes out of the dumpster, I'm on board. If not ole well = long year. Go Vols!!

<blue font> but but but he holds the ball too long!

Brother im a huge fan of JG, i said nothing bad about him and i apologize if thats the tone that my post carried. It was more of a comment on how diluted these watch lists have become. Its honestly an insult to JG and other guys who actually have a chance to win this thing. Until about 60 seconds ago i was under the impression that this award was basically a "whos the best qb in the nation" thing, but now that i looked it up its apparently given to "the nation's outstanding senior or fourth-year quarterback in college football." So its even worse than i expected given that theres probably only a few more than 49 established starting qbs who are seniors or 4th year players. Id have a lot more respect for it if there was around 15-20 guys on the watch list and i think JG is definitely a guy who deserves to be in that conversation. I feel like he will have a great year, hell Chaney got Crompton drafted after one year in his system and i think Gman is better and has better weapons. Its just ignorant to include basically every eligible qb on the watch list. I feel like its a click bait scam to include as many fan bases as possible.

To further my point about how crazy these have gotten, 71 players are on the Doak Walker watch list. Thats absolutely insane, have some balls and name 15-20 guys max and then its an even better story if somebody comes from nowhere to take the crown. Its lazy work feels like a participation trophy.

You just found a long way to say JG doesent deserve it. He’s good at what he does. He’s a Volunteer. He’ll be a VFL. How about supporting the man instead inventing new ways to hate on him
Nope, didnt say that at all, you just found an easy way to get butthurt and go SJW defending a player i didnt attack. How about reading my post again and highlighting where i said a single negative thing about him instead of inventing new ways to b**** and moan over something that didnt happen. Sometimes when someone says they mean no offense, they literally mean that. Personally i think JG has a huge year, hes talented and makes good accurate throws when he has time. Theres plenty of metrics out there showing how bad the Oline, WR drops and Helton were last year and how they held him back. Ive personally got him predicted to throw for around 3200 yards and 25-28 tds with his supporting cast and Chaney at the helm.

Yet another interesting piece of information to add to the great JG debate.

Guarantano named to watch list for quarterback award

Absolutely love me some JG, but this literally lists the 49 projected FBS starters that are 4th or 5th year players. 1st-3rd year guys don't qualify for the award. That is why Tua and Fromm aren't even on it. It's akin to "announcing" you have a starting QB that is in his 4th or 5th year. Now, Doak Walker watch list is pretty cool.

Reactions: Ertel and FLVOL_79
Absolutely love me some JG, but this literally lists the 49 projected FBS starters that are 4th or 5th year players. 1st-3rd year guys don't qualify for the award. That is why Tua and Fromm aren't even on it. It's akin to "announcing" you have a starting QB that is in his 4th or 5th year. Now, Doak Walker watch list is pretty cool.
How? I literally just mentioned a few posts up that the Doak has 71 rbs listed on their watch list lol these have gotten out of hand.

Also there are 64 Power 5 teams plus ND to make it 65 and 49 candidates. Although of the 49 a few may have came from the Group of 5 or the lesser Conferences.
I'm pulling for JG if he comes out #1 of the 49 I will bet UT would have won 11 games or more , so there's always that dream.

Reactions: OneVolNation

VN Store

Back