Jaime Nared just signed a 7 day contract

Is this to replace A'ja while she's injured, or did they waive another player to make room for her?

Aces is a hard team for her, because they have 2 better options each at the 2, 3 and 4. She's better off on a team in need of a quality 6th woman wing player.

A'ja and Cambage have both been out, so they've had a short bench. Given Nared's previous experience with LV, it was probably easier to use her for a short-term contract rather than try to fit a new player into LV's system. Aces play Chicago tomorrow night, 10:30 ET on CBSSN.

I would hope that JN gives a nice "howdy do" to ole N@LVFL DD tomorrow.

A'ja and Cambage have both been out, so they've had a short bench. Given Nared's previous experience with LV, it was probably easier to use her for a short-term contract rather than try to fit a new player into LV's system. Aces play Chicago tomorrow night, 10:30 ET on CBSSN.
Liz is out due to Rest, not injury..

Maybe she will become a Texas Hold Them poker wizard in her spare time like Annie Duke or Doyle Brunson.

Nared just signed a second 7-day contract with the Aces although she has not seen any game time yet.

Nared just signed a second 7-day contract with the Aces although she has not seen any game time yet.

I wonder what these players who get picked up mid season for short contracts do during the wait? Are they just working out hoping for a call, or do they have other job options?

Reactions: sisaq
I wonder what these players who get picked up mid season for short contracts do during the wait? Are they just working out hoping for a call, or do they have other job options?

It's sad especially a player like Nared..

It's sad especially a player like Nared..
Agree. At least Mercedes is making up for lost time and Bashaara was never WNBA material. But Nared had all the physical tools to be star in the league. She screwed herself over by sticking it out with Holly.

Reactions: sisaq
Agree. At least Mercedes is making up for lost time and Bashaara was never WNBA material. But Nared had all the physical tools to be star in the league. She screwed herself over by sticking it out with Holly.

Hopefully Nared will land on a pro team outside the U.S. with a good coach who will take the time to help her catch up to her potential that, sadly, wasn’t reached in college.

My feelings for Nared are complex. Half of me admires the heck out of her for hanging in with Tennessee for the four years she committed for and is now a loved LVFL, but the other half is disappointed FOR her that she didn’t transfer to play for a stronger leader.

Her loyalty should never be forgotten, IMO.

She played for Elitzur Ramla, an Israeli Eurobasket team last winter, 17.5 ppg and 8.8 rpg. She's signed with Broni, an Italian team for the coming season.

If anyone here ever comes across a way for us to see any of the games our Lady Vol alum are playing in Europe or elsewhere, please let us know here. I would enjoy any opportunity to see any of them play anywhere they’re playing. I’m a diehard LVFFL!

It's a shame that Jaime Nared wasn't coached UP during here time here???? I credit her for being loyal and staying here, but it certainly hampered her development! In 2014 out of high school she was ranked 6th overall and 1st for her position! In 2015 Napheesa Collier was also ranked 6th overall, but 3rd for her position! Both are athletic 6' 1" players who entered college with similar capabilities, but you can see what a difference coaching can make!! I hope she keeps working hard, continues playing overseas and remains healthy so that she can have a decent WNBA career!!

jaime-nared

napheesa-collier

Reactions: T.J.
It's a shame that Jaime Nared wasn't coached UP during here time here???? I credit her for being loyal and staying here, but it certainly hampered her development! In 2014 out of high school she was ranked 6th overall and 1st for her position! In 2015 Napheesa Collier was also ranked 6th overall, but 3rd for her position! Both are athletic 6' 1" players who entered college with similar capabilities, but you can see what a difference coaching can make!! I hope she keeps working hard, continues playing overseas and remains healthy so that she can have a decent WNBA career!!

jaime-nared

napheesa-collier

Diamond, Mercedes, Nared, other sightings of the "highly touted coming into the program"'ers
Maybe Coach K can get it done.
I think she will
Coach Kellie, that is ;o)

Kellie shares some CPS qualities that I remember seeing in Pat in 96-97-98.
I am looking forward to this season.
I'm thinking she's played it perfectly so far
Preached fundamentals
Maintained high visibility (takes focus off the kids)
Managed to get "in-game" time before most of her colleagues have even gotten practice time.
Yep, time will tell if Coach Kellie is the panacea

Usually at this point of the season I am letting them know "I can be there tomorrow"...
this is the first time in a while that I felt like I didn't need to be there

Reactions: sport3500 and T.J.

jaime-nared

napheesa-collier
While I agree that Nared suffered from lack of coaching, I don't think UConn can take all the credit for developing Napheesa Collier. She was ready to play from the get-go, and even at #6 she was rated too low. I think she was a top 3 player from that class, and that's before she began her career. She could immediately play 4 positions on the court, and played much bigger than her size. She would have been a superstar no matter which school she played at. If anything, she would have become an even better player because she could play her natural position on the wing instead of being forced to play inside due to UConn's inability to recruit/keep post players. I feel bad for the schools that missed out on her. She was a gem.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Usually at this point of the season I am letting them know "I can be there tomorrow"...

Bit early for that, isn't it? The season hasn't even started yet...

Who knows, maybe someone from her staff will finally call you back.

Collier and Samuelson were recruited in the same year. Samuelson if I remember correctly had all the media attention. I loved Collier from day one as she was a rebounder. She ended her career at UCONN with +2,000 points and +1,000 rebounds. I would love to see Rae get enough minutes so she can show her desire for opportunities off the glass.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Diamond, Mercedes, Nared, other sightings of the "highly touted coming into the program"'ers
Maybe Coach K can get it done.
I think she will
Coach Kellie, that is ;o)

Kellie shares some CPS qualities that I remember seeing in Pat in 96-97-98.
I am looking forward to this season.
I'm thinking she's played it perfectly so far
Preached fundamentals
Maintained high visibility (takes focus off the kids)
Managed to get "in-game" time before most of her colleagues have even gotten practice time.
Yep, time will tell if Coach Kellie is the panacea

"I can be there tomorrow"...
tenor.gif

I would love to see Rae get enough minutes so she can show her desire for opportunities off the glass.

I have a strong feeling that Rae will get as many minutes as any of the other top players. All last season she consistently had the body language of a player who wants to be on the floor and who is willing to do anything to be there. This year, with more confident and demanding leadership at the top that Rae (and the rest) will surely trust and believe in, I think we’ll soon begin to see her developing into the true steal of her class.

I’m excited for all of the players this year, and can’t wait to see the gradual improvements as the season goes on. One thing we know for sure about Kellie is that her coaching style is to make the players practice something until they get it right. (Strange, I always assumed EVERY coach took that obvious approach, but I gather that the last staff did not.) Anyway, with that approach I feel like we are guaranteed to see gradual improvements, and that’s my top desire for this staff.

The Lady Vols may hit some rough patches, sure, but they’ll never have to hear their coach say, “I don’t know” after a game, and that will definitely be a major change. Kellie WILL know, and she’ll have their full attention at the next practice.

VN Store

Back