Article: Who will have No. 1 class in 2020?

I hope it works out..
I really believe Penny is going to be thorn in the side to Kentucky and some other programs..
cannot believe Memphis did not make the list..
I am all VOLS but Penny is recruiting really well...

Probably because Memphis has zero 2020 commits.

If the comp stayed at $5mm, then yes... some up and comer can be lured from a MM. But chances are the next coach will make $3mm or less. If it opened up today, I'd think that Forbes would be the front runner.

How many turned down UCLA? How many passed on the big bucks during UT's last head FB coaching position?
Tennessee basketball is in a much better spot than Tennessee football was...I’m not suggesting that they would hire a huge name, but I would be shocked if it went to an assistant with no HC experience or a 1 year MM coach.

Texas A&M hired a big name coach, Arkansas did as well...Forbes would be the easy higher and it wouldn’t shock me, but I think that would be the floor, not Oliver/Lanier/Pearl JR.

I hope it works out..
I really believe Penny is going to be thorn in the side to Kentucky and some other programs..
cannot believe Memphis did not make the list..
I am all VOLS but Penny is recruiting really well...

Penny will get caught up in something.. Won't take to long...Or he will cross the wrong person and will be taken down..

Reactions: Special Ed
Penny will get caught up in something.. Won't take to long...Or he will cross the wrong person and will be taken down..
I think the big question with Penny is if he can really coach at this level. He should be able to recruit based on his name and the fact Memphis is a great place for talent. He lost his assistant this year that was his x's and o's guy. He will come into Knoxville this year with some talent. I am curious to see what he does with it. I am one of those fans that will always pull for Tennessee first but I root for Vandy and Memphis when they play against any one else.

If Barnes retires on good terms it will be the first time since there were jump balls after every made basket that there weren't problems and/or challenges facing the incoming coach.

Mears: forced out
Wettig: interim
Devoe: fired
Houston: fired
O'Neill: got mad and quit
Green: run off, told to git
Buzz: fired
Bruce: fired and given a show cause
Cuonzo: got butt hurt and quit
Donnie: fired

I really want Barnes to stay until he decides to retire and then a banner with his name is put up in the TBA rafters near Mears. The way things go down around here though, Forbes might could end up being the ceiling.

My earlier point was that Schwartz and English need to go get some experience so one could come back to Rocky Top as a future head BB coach.

I think the big question with Penny is if he can really coach at this level. He should be able to recruit based on his name and the fact Memphis is a great place for talent. He lost his assistant this year that was his x's and o's guy. He will come into Knoxville this year with some talent. I am curious to see what he does with it. I am one of those fans that will always pull for Tennessee first but I root for Vandy and Memphis when they play against any one else.

I have never understood in Memphis being a Tiger basketball fan and a Tennessee football fan. That makes absolute zero sense to me. And there are a ton of them. I'm a Tennessee fan and just have no feelings for Memphis one way or the other. They just aren't on my radar. I agree however that Penny will have to prove himself as a coach. Last year proved nothing and the recruiting should be fairly easy for him there. Just thrilled at the place the Vols are right now. I will admit I never saw this day coming when we hired Rick but man was I wrong.

He celebrates after every clip. It’s almost annoying even for me and I’m much more forgiving than most with that sort of thing lol.

I love it. Alexander was a nice player, but too demure for my tastes and could get pushed around a bit. Seems like a really nice, nice kid. You know.....Canadian. However, an athletic big man with an attitude? Yes, please.

I think their raises would have been higher had it been known earlier that they would be landing multiple 5-star recruits this soon.
I doubt it. One (Walker) has already been committed for four months. The other (Johnson) was almost a foregone conclusion. Beyond that, recruiting is just one part of the whole picture of a college's coaches job and giving out hefty raises based on landing the commitment (not even a signature, yet) from a highly ranked player is pretty myopic. Those coa hes deserve e a raise more for what they did to transform a group of 3 star nobodies into a Sweet 16 team than they do for landing a highly talented kid who may never play a second here, wash out, or bust.

Geez...is it legal to start getting excited for BB when FB hasn't even started yet???

Asking for a friend.
Not only is it ok, it is also logically superior. Bball won't be as good as last season, but it will be better than the upcoming football season fo sho.

What might be happening is that all the shoe companies getting sued has slowed down the dirty $$ in b-ball recruiting which allows a good coach who does it the right way and actually coach his players up to get drafted to have success on the recruiting trail.

If Barnes retires on good terms it will be the first time since there were jump balls after every made basket that there weren't problems and/or challenges facing the incoming coach.

Mears: forced out
Wettig: interim
Devoe: fired
Houston: fired
O'Neill: got mad and quit
Green: run off, told to git
Buzz: fired
Bruce: fired and given a show cause
Cuonzo: got butt hurt and quit
Donnie: fired

I really want Barnes to stay until he decides to retire and then a banner with his name is put up in the TBA rafters near Mears. The way things go down around here though, Forbes might could end up being the ceiling.

My earlier point was that Schwartz and English need to go get some experience so one could come back to Rocky Top as a future head BB coach.

Mears " forced out"??? I don't think so, he retired due to illness. Basically had a nervous breakdown.

With all the elite players we've been reeling in lately, it looks like Rick is earning that raise. The future looks extremely bright.
But I hope the staffers putting in the yeoman's work are getting a bump in pay, too.

Inb4 Rick missed out on Blackshear, Mann, Glover, and Jitoboh AND that is only against Florida in recruiting. Plus the recruiting services are going to downgrade Johnson and Walker to high 3* by the time they sign and that's if they even sign at all. Best case, Rick is barely batting above the Mendoza Line in recruiting.

Reactions: livefaith

VN Store

Back