Channel 6 (ABC)

sport3500

Will we get Channel 6 back in time for the college football season on the Dish network?

I know Nexstar and Dish are supposedly negotiating according to the channel notes.

Cord cut it guys!!!! Traditional cable is going the way of the do-do bird brothers!!!! (If you dont get it back in time, you can buy an over-the-air (OTA) antenna. Works just like old school bunny ears. That'll get you CBS.
I have Hulu and get all of the local channels, but I have an antenna just in case and it works great.

I have Hulu and get all of the local channels, but I have an antenna just in case and it works great.

Beg to marginally differ, Nathan, an OTA (if you get the right one) isn't anything like old-time rabbit ears. I cut the cord several years back and my reception is crystal clear, except for ABC on very stormy days. It pixelates. For folks considering OTA, I suggest a Channel Master CM-4228HD model. Marry it to an RCA or Motorola rotor unit with a control box. That way you can change the orientation anytime you want or need to. In my area at least expect broadcasts to change each late spring or early summer and mid-fall. I think they switch towers or something forcing me to reorientate the antenna twice a year. Despite what an installer/seller tells you to the contrary, include a thick grounding wire for potential lightning strikes. Now for Vols or other games, you can SLING or HULU during game season and quit afterward until the next season. Saves lots of money.

If you're a movie or TV series lover, ROKU for one has options to select for this via channels like Prime, Firestick (?) and others. If you're addicted to cable, I can't advise you, only self-control and the limitations of your wallet can do that.

Last edited:
If you are on month to month contract (and still wanna use their service), call the cable/satellite provider and say you wanna cancel. Tell them price is too high and now your fave programming is missing. Threaten to cord cut as well. You will get offers to stay. The 3rd one they give you should be decent...

If enough people threaten to cancel, it will be cheaper for the provider to carry..

Cord cut it guys!!!! Traditional cable is going the way of the do-do bird brothers!!!! (If you dont get it back in time, you can buy an over-the-air (OTA) antenna. Works just like old school bunny ears. That'll get you CBS.

If I can get the game or any sporting event I want to watch over the air, that is what I go with. It is a true 1080i signal. Cable, dish, and streaming services compress the signal before transmitting it, so while the TV may say it is being broadcast in 1080i, that is not what you are getting.

Reactions: NATHAN05
I tried the antena deal but I never got much of a signal or enough channels. What would you do if the game is on ESPN or a cable channel?

Will we get Channel 6 back in time for the college football season on the Dish network?

I know Nexstar and Dish are supposedly negotiating according to the channel notes.

I’m confused. I have ABC on Dish right now.

NatGeo and FX are apparently in limbo with Dish, and I believe CBS was in limbo with Directv, but ABC is still with Dish on channel 6.

Nexstar is in a blackout feud with AT&T (U-Verse and DirecTV)

In the Knoxville market, Channel 6 is owned by Nexstar.

I tried the antena deal but I never got much of a signal or enough channels. What would you do if the game is on ESPN or a cable channel?

Go HULU Plus seasonally. As for your OTA issue, it depends on where you live. In my area, we get 33 channels (sometimes 35, I don't know why) during summer and around 24 during winter. But just like it was with cable before, most channels we don't watch. We mainly watch just ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, KET, Fox, MeTV, and Comet. We're easy to please simple folks. The only thing I miss (as in lost and happy it's lost) from cable is the ever-increasing fees and rude reps. We constantly get mail from DISH and DirecTV offering us the usual entrapment discounts. We always ignore them. Now trying to entice us with a faster 100Mbps service and/or cell phone service. But we're grandfathered into a 35Mbps which is fine and includes wireless service for our phones. We good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange

It depends on the OTA you buy. I spent about $100 (about a 50 mile radius) on mine because at the time I had satellite. I got really tired of storms interfering with my ability to watch games. I installed it in my attic and “pointed” it in the recommended direction based on my location. I then bought an amplified splitter and used my existing cable infrastructure to get it to all 5 TVs in my house. I get 19 channels with my OTA. I have HULU LIVE to get games not broadcast OTA.

Beg to marginally differ, Nathan, an OTA (if you get the right one) isn't anything like old-time rabbit ears. I cut the cord several years back and my reception is crystal clear, except for ABC on very stormy days. It pixelates. For folks considering OTA, I suggest a Channel Master CM-4228HD model. Marry it to an RCA or Motorola rotor unit with a control box. That way you can change the orientation anytime you want or need to. In my area at least expect broadcasts to change each late spring or early summer and mid-fall. I think they switch towers or something forcing me to reorientate the antenna twice a year. Despite what an installer/seller tells you to the contrary, include a thick grounding wire for potential lightning strikes. Now for Vols or other games, you can SLING or HULU during game season and quit afterward until the next season. Saves lots of money.

If you're movie or TV series lover, ROKU for one has options to select for this via channels like Prime, Firestick (?) and others. If you're addicted to cable, I can't advise you, only self-control and the limitations of your wallet can do that.

I hear ya, I was just comparing it to old school bunny ears in the sense its an antenna you put outside, attic, etc and it collects channels over-the-air. I agree the picture is AMAZING and I watch games on it when they are available. I use "bunny ears" as a simplified explenation for people who have no idea what the new antennas are

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
It depends on the OTA you buy. I spent about $100 (about a 50 mile radius) on mine because at the time I had satellite. I got really tired of storms interfering with my ability to watch games. I installed it in my attic and “pointed” it in the recommended direction based on my location. I then bought an amplified splitter and used my existing cable infrastructure to get it to all 5 TVs in my house. I get 19 channels with my OTA. I have HULU LIVE to get games not broadcast OTA.

Exactly what I did also......in Orlando though I get about 62 channels. A lot of church, espanol, and PBS's but a ton of good ones. I do the HULU and I just added on PHilo for 20.00 month because I enjoy TvLand, AMC, Sundance, IFC, and other movie channels I cant get on HULU. WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than cable.

Honestly, the picture on my antenna for major networks is honestly better than the same channels I get via internet or traditional cable. Truly is amazing.

This is due to data compression. Cable companies take the data from the networks and downgrade it to make it smaller. This makes it easier to send over their lines to the cable boxes. The over the air broadcast signal doesn’t have to be downgraded b/c it’s just being broadcast into the sky, no lines to send it down that have physical limits

I just cut the cord with Directv. Between the programming and DVRs in 4 rooms, the bill was $125 a month. Had negotiated a nice credit off that but it just expired. Converted to YoutubeTV for $50 a month. You get all the local channels plus all the ESPNs, SEC channel and Fox Sport South among about 30 cable channels. Big plus is unlimited DVR. You just need a smart TV with a YoutubeTV app or buy a Roku stick for $30 and attach to any HDMI connection on your TV. Highly recommend.

For some, and I suggest even if you may not seem to need it, consider an amplifier. I'd suggest one made by Motorola, or Channel Master which is actually a Motorola branded differently.

VN Store

Back