Bert Rechichar Tennessee Legend

Dudleys87

2B1A1

I could listen to stories like these all day.

“Back then he signed me with a crayon. He didn’t even have a pen”

We never lost to Kentucky back then. The only thing he (Bryant) said was “The only thing I want to see is Rechichar graduate”

“Meaner than hell at high noon” with a slight grin he says “raised hell once in a while”.

RIP sir.

That right there is what makes True Vol Fans VFLS. Got such a great feeling watching it and a huge lump in my throat. BEST thing I have ever watched. RIP Bert. A Real Man's Man.

Reactions: LibertyVol
RIP.

And whoa, he pronounced Neyland as NAY-land! That’s how everyone said it in my student days. Still don’t know why the change to NEE-land came about.

So did I. I heard that the change came after some of the general's relatives told the powers that be that Nee-land was the correct pronunciation.

Reactions: VolNExile
Every audio I’ve heard by his former players was NAY-land. I figure that the General would have corrected them if he wanted to, and he didn’t. 1565900262049.gif

Interesting about the wife and some relative or another.

Seventy years ago, no one said Neeland. It was always Nayland. All this Neeland stuff started after the General died. If Tom Syler was alive, he would tell everyone how it was pronounced when he wrote for the Knoxville News Sentinel.

I was simply informing the guy as to who/when the Knee-Land came form. MRS Neyland, when asked how to pronounce the name pointed to her Knees and said Knee-Land. I prefer NAYland myself.

Reactions: Remy
If another team player opened his mouth to ride you,he got his jaw jacked and you went on with it.Same in the 60's.Some wise a.. Lol off in a bar,,just clean it out.You're done!No 155lb jerk would get in your face except maybe once.That would be all of took.That kind of physicality is what the coaches at Tennessee are installing.Make the other team fear.you when you played.

Reactions: CornFlake
If another team player opened his mouth to ride you,he got his jaw jacked and you went on with it.Same in the 60's.Some wise a.. Lol off in a bar,,just clean it out.You're done!No 155lb jerk would get in your face except maybe once.That would be all of took.That kind of physicality is what the coaches at Tennessee are installing.Make the other team fear.you when you played.
ill take a shot myself!!

VN Store

Back