Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Well that didn't last too long.

I read on both Texas and Mississippi State boards that it has little to do with Esmery and a lot to do with outside influences, particularly FDM Athletics, her agency. It is actually a very sad thing, but she is being treated like a business, and people are making decisions for her for the wrong reasons -- she is being manipulated.

A true shame because she is extremely talented.

I read on both Texas and Mississippi State boards that it has little to do with Esmery and a lot to do with outside influences, particularly FDM Athletics, her agency. It is actually a very sad thing, but she is being treated like a business, and people are making decisions for her for the wrong reasons -- she is being manipulated.

A true shame because she is extremely talented.
WOW!!!

That's truly sad to here.

Hyatt Hotels will open a new 16 story hotel across the Brazos (on MLK Blvd) from the new basketball arena. The hotel will be called The Grant after former Baylor Football Coach Grant Teaff and will open in time for the 2020 football season.
GH-at-Sunset-Small-300x168.jpg

In addition, a new riverboat will be added named The Donnell (in honor of Coach Teaff's wife and former Baylor Regent).LADY-DONELL-DOWNTOWN-BRAZOS-RIVER-300x156.jpg

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
Griner: Suspension will affect future with WNBA

Phoenix's Brittney Griner didn't quarrel with the three-game suspension she received from the WNBA on Tuesday, but was unhappy that two Dallas players involved in Saturday's fracas were punished less and said the decision would impact her future in the WNBA.

The Wings' Kristine Anigwe, who was involved in the initial scuffle with Griner, and Kayla Thornton, who attempted to get at Griner when she was being restrained by an official, each received two-game suspensions.

"I do not think it's fair," Griner said Tuesday afternoon. "Across the board, it should have been three for everybody [her, Anigwe and Thornton]. I'll take my punishment like a woman, and, hey, I'm not going to argue mine. But it should have been three across the board."

Griner, in her seventh season in the WNBA, and Anigwe, a rookie, got tangled up battling for rebounding position in the fourth quarter Saturday. Then Anigwe appeared to pull on Griner's arm and slap at her head. Griner pursued Angiwe to about halfcourt in front of the scorer's table and was restrained by a referee as Anigwe retreated.

Phoenix guard Diana Taurasi and Dallas forward Kaela Davis were also each suspended for one game and fined $500 for leaving the bench area. Mercury forward DeWanna Bonner was fined $500 for escalating the incident.

On Monday, Griner told Arizona Republic reporter Jeff Metcalfe that how the WNBA handled the suspensions may impact her future with the league. She plays overseas in the winter and spring in Russia, where she earns a seven-figure salary. That's compared to about $115,000 this season in the WNBA.

"Does it impact my career in the WNBA? Yes, it does," she said. "Not right now, this second. But how long I go, yeah, it's definitely going to affect it. I mean, I love playing for the Mercury; that's the only reason I'm playing here right now. Definitely not playing for the W. The W don't do nothing."

Griner, the No. 1 draft pick in 2013, is 6-foot-9 and says she feels opponents are allowed to be excessively physical with her because of her size.

"I think this year is a little bit worse," Griner said. "But my whole career, it's always been hard for the officials, I guess, to officiate me. I don't understand why. Because it's easy: If it's a foul, it's a foul. No matter size, or who the person is, or who's doing it to who. A foul is a foul. Just call it how you see it, not how you feel on the person it's being done to."

Phoenix's Brittney Griner didn't quarrel with the three-game suspension she received from the WNBA on Tuesday, but was unhappy that two Dallas players involved in Saturday's fracas were punished less and said the decision would impact her future in the WNBA.

The Wings' Kristine Anigwe, who was involved in the initial scuffle with Griner, and Kayla Thornton, who attempted to get at Griner when she was being restrained by an official, each received two-game suspensions.

"I do not think it's fair," Griner said Tuesday afternoon. "Across the board, it should have been three for everybody [her, Anigwe and Thornton]. I'll take my punishment like a woman, and, hey, I'm not going to argue mine. But it should have been three across the board."

Griner, in her seventh season in the WNBA, and Anigwe, a rookie, got tangled up battling for rebounding position in the fourth quarter Saturday. Then Anigwe appeared to pull on Griner's arm and slap at her head. Griner pursued Angiwe to about halfcourt in front of the scorer's table and was restrained by a referee as Anigwe retreated.

Phoenix guard Diana Taurasi and Dallas forward Kaela Davis were also each suspended for one game and fined $500 for leaving the bench area. Mercury forward DeWanna Bonner was fined $500 for escalating the incident.

On Monday, Griner told Arizona Republic reporter Jeff Metcalfe that how the WNBA handled the suspensions may impact her future with the league. She plays overseas in the winter and spring in Russia, where she earns a seven-figure salary. That's compared to about $115,000 this season in the WNBA.

"Does it impact my career in the WNBA? Yes, it does," she said. "Not right now, this second. But how long I go, yeah, it's definitely going to affect it. I mean, I love playing for the Mercury; that's the only reason I'm playing here right now. Definitely not playing for the W. The W don't do nothing."

Griner, the No. 1 draft pick in 2013, is 6-foot-9 and says she feels opponents are allowed to be excessively physical with her because of her size.

"I think this year is a little bit worse," Griner said. "But my whole career, it's always been hard for the officials, I guess, to officiate me. I don't understand why. Because it's easy: If it's a foul, it's a foul. No matter size, or who the person is, or who's doing it to who. A foul is a foul. Just call it how you see it, not how you feel on the person it's being done to."

This my offend some and might be harsh but I was a huge fan of the WNBA for the first decade or so...That's changed.

The WNBA has become a not so great product but over the last few years it has gotten worse. So many players could care less if they even play or win a championship. You have a league that is going nowhere and how many players say they aren't playing, threaten not to play because of this or that like Griner - if she was in the NBA she'd be fined for her comments. _ How many have said they won't play unless they are traded (it''s a joke when they demand to a specific team) . How many sat out just because? Does anyone really think DT (she's an example there are others) isn't capable of playing ? Please , I'd bet my house she is sitting out until playoffs. This benefits her in two ways - She will be healthy and fresh or the Olympics and with 8 teams making playoffs they don't need her until then. The season is almost over and has Natasha Howard been suspended? And what's up when one of the leagues star players just ups and says I am sitting out a year (Maya Moore).....Bitchng about equal pay? Go out improve your product, get the tv contracts and bring in billions in revenue then ou can start talking about equal pay. There is no loyalty to the league. If you go back and look at the history of the NBA the first players made very little had no benefits and travel was horrible. Players made like 4k a year etc...It takes time but with the WNBA there are so many players who just don't care...It's hard to get fans to care when they don't.

Screw the WNBA. Too many players act like they are stars. They aren't, and the vast majority of basketball fans probably couldn't name 10 WNBA players. Like the previous poster, I supported the WNBA since inception until last season. The sense of entitlement is off putting, and they phone in too many games in a short season. And then you have Griner trashing the league? Go ahead and let the W fold and see how many players still score big overseas contracts.

Players running their mouth like this will be the death of the league. And players like Taurasi...smh. Her old @ss should know better.

Screw the WNBA. Too many players act like they are stars. They aren't, and the vast majority of basketball fans probably couldn't name 10 WNBA players. Like the previous poster, I supported the WNBA since inception until last season. The sense of entitlement is off putting, and they phone in too many games in a short season. And then you have Griner trashing the league? Go ahead and let the W fold and see how many players still score big overseas contracts.

Players running their mouth like this will be the death of the league. And players like Taurasi...smh. Her old @ss should know better.
Aeriel Atkins
Aja Wilson
Candace Parker
Izzy Harrison
Sylvia Fowles
Jewel Lloyd
Liz Cambrage
Sophie Cunningham
Elena Delledonne

She’s right. She was attacked and swung on and when she defends herself, she gets the harshest penalty? That’s crap.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Aeriel Atkins
Aja Wilson
Candace Parker
Izzy Harrison
Sylvia Fowles
Jewel Lloyd
Liz Cambrage
Sophie Cunningham
Elena Delledonne
You follow women's basketball, so what's your point?

If you're trying to be snarky, I can be too. It's Ariel Atkins, A'ja Wilson, Liz Cambage and Jewell Loyd.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBalls33
"Anigwe was doing the same thing to BG [Brittney Griner] a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut," Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell told reporters after the game. "We just watched the replay and she punched BG first, so of course you can't be mad at BG, she has to protect herself. It got out of hand, that's on the refs, they have to stop that earlier."

- Selby Lopez, Dallas Morning News, 11 Aug 2019

"Anigwe was doing the same thing to BG [Brittney Griner] a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut," Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell told reporters after the game. "We just watched the replay and she punched BG first, so of course you can't be mad at BG, she has to protect herself. It got out of hand, that's on the refs, they have to stop that earlier."

- Selby Lopez, Dallas Morning News, 11 Aug 2019

My point is her reaction is a joke and she is no innocent victim. She uses elbows and has a history and Griner fans are ignoring just how volatile her reactions are..She is easily triggered.... The mens game is far more physical and aggressive. Are there fights? yes but one would think considering the NBA is a much bigger league and more physical you'd think there' would be more punches thrown. The only one I can remember from this year was Ibaka, I'm sure there may have been others but proportionately it no different. He was suspended took his punishment without threatening to leave the NBA..lol Draymond Green has sometimes been accused of dirty play. Has he never threatened to leave league after getting technical, ejections etc . Shaq was hit all the time not once did he diss the NBA or threaten to leave...lol In the early years of the NBA it was rough and there were fights..I highly doubt players threatened to leave league.

These women actually believe they deserve equal pay!! Get your ass out their promote your league don't tarnish it and make it worse. Bring in more revenue, play with passion, play hard and stop denigrating your employer and maybe salaries will go up. As I said before when players sit out "just because" or demand trades to a SPECIFIC team or they won't play or leave league to play over seas and then come back, or continue to rest after injuries are healed to save them for playoffs or olympic spots etc they are simply hurting themselves and the league.I loved the WNBA early on but its changed . Players like Leslie, Cooper, Weatherspoon Swoopes played to win, had passion didn't disparage the league. Maybe they should take their cues from those players.

Yes I know there's more money elsewhere so I get that but sometimes you have to suffer to build something big...just like NBA players did early on. THE W is already a hard sell they aren't helping. I'd think they'd sacrifice some to build the league and give young girls out there a chance for a better Bball future here in the US

No. The players aren't helping. The Sparks not honoring our country by remaining In the locker room at the play offs for the National Anthem 2 years ago lost the WNBA their only 5 fans I knew.
I understand that they are making their voices heard for issues that are important to them. At the same time, the players haven't realized yet that they aren't in a position to alienate fans.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the WNBA fails to survive the ongoing CBA agreement. The players are completely unrealistic in their demands given the league's poor financial performance and lack of fan interest. It's also funny how the NBA players are so vocal in their social media support of the "W" for likes, but not willing to give up any $$$ to help fund salary increases and better travel arrangements 🙄

I understand that they are making their voices heard for issues that are important to them. At the same time, the players haven't realized yet that they aren't in a position to alienate fans.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the WNBA fails to survive the ongoing CBA agreement. The players are completely unrealistic in their demands given the league's poor financial performance and lack of fan interest. It's also funny how the NBA players are so vocal in their social media support of the "W" for likes, but not willing to give up any $$$ to help fund salary increases and better travel arrangements 🙄

Adam Silver is the type of guy that really cares but he can only do so much without the owners on board. Why bankroll a team when it's only losing you money well unless you need a write off or for appearances ... My take with the exception of Hammon the majority of women players hired as assistant coaches or front office are for PR reasons only. It's not uncommon for industries to do things due to the current culture and if it provides a positive appearance. With # metoo movement etc it looks good for the NBA. Think about it - how many women were a part of NBA coaching staffs or front offices prior to these mutliple hirings within such a short period. I'm not saying a woman can't do the job but I doubt they would be called in if it were not for the current culture and timing.. Regardless how they got in lets hope they succeed enough and change perceptions so more woman will have the opportunity.

VN Store

Back