College Football's Greatest College Towns

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Ranking college football's greatest college towns

8. Knoxville, Tennessee

Knoxville mixes a southern vibe with that of a mountain town, and a good part of its attraction is the nearby Smoky Mountains, which lend a beautiful backdrop and are also a great weekend escape. Market Square is a great place to spend the day checking out stands at the farmer’s market, or take advantage of the brewery and music scenes. Plus, gamedays here are an orange-washed experience you can’t miss.

Ranking college football's greatest college towns

8. Knoxville, Tennessee

Knoxville mixes a southern vibe with that of a mountain town, and a good part of its attraction is the nearby Smoky Mountains, which lend a beautiful backdrop and are also a great weekend escape. Market Square is a great place to spend the day checking out stands at the farmer’s market, or take advantage of the brewery and music scenes. Plus, gamedays here are an orange-washed experience you can’t miss.

There won’t ever be any better experience for me.

Columbia Mo and Ann Arbor ahead of Knoxville is a joke. Both very boring. I'd have Knoxville around 6, Blacksburg VA 8th where UT is.
I live in MO and have been to multiple Mizzou games - two UT games. Until this year, the stadium only held about 58,000. I’ve NEVER seen the stadium with more than 50k in it. Great college football town!

Reactions: UTwild82
Before these young whipper snappers got their internet and cell phones, swimsuit edition and the bathroom were a way of teenage life. 🤣🤣🤣

😂😂

Seriously though, I don’t think it’s known for anything solid other than the mentioned issues

Besides K-Town, Ann Arbor really rocks. East lansing isn't no slouch town on football saturdays.

When has SI been anything other than something to read in the bathroom?
I have to say, I don't really understand the hate for SI on here. This article was very complimentary and I'm not aware of any past bias from them towards Tennessee (are we confusing them with ESPN?). Pre-internet, it was a nice magazine to subscribe to with some great writers (Frank DeFord, Gary Smith, Rick Telander). I have always kept the covers of Tennessee figures (Tony Robinson, Chamique Holdsclaw, Pat Summitt, Peyton Manning - even the Gator claymation one and Peerless Price). Is there a rule that says Tennessee fans must hate all national media?

I have to say, I don't really understand the hate for SI on here. This article was very complimentary and I'm not aware of any past bias from them towards Tennessee (are we confusing them with ESPN?). Pre-internet, it was a nice magazine to subscribe to with some great writers (Frank DeFord, Gary Smith, Rick Telander). I have always kept the covers of Tennessee figures (Tony Robinson, Chamique Holdsclaw, Pat Summitt, Peyton Manning - even the Gator claymation one and Peerless Price). Is there a rule that says Tennessee fans must hate all national media?

Not at all, if you like SI your more than welcome to do so.

Hands down the three best SEC towns are Knoxville, Nashville and Athens. Although Nashville is more for other things than the college teams.

After that, Iowa and Nebraska have passionate fans but towns aren't that great. Columbus, so-so. Happy Valley a tad better. I would imagine Madison, Boulder and Seattle (Washington) would be fun. Austin, Berkeley (Cal) and Palo Alto (Stanford) if you're in to weirdo radicals. SoCal sucks.

All the Service Academy towns are cool, especially Colorado Springs.

Arizona and Research Triangle would be nice locations too.

Logan Utah (Utah State), would be one of the more breathtaking for beauty.

VN Store

Back