Preston Williams

Glad he is a member of my beloved Dolphins...I hope he has a great career with them.

Essentially he is not a Tennessee football player. Maybe move to it to the Colorado State message board? I'm just tired of digging into the coulda woulda shoudas of that time. I mean yeah BJ was atrocious at player development, we get it.

Butch did something that lost the team. It may eventually come out or may never be known. His last season should not have been near as bad as it was. Almost seemed to reappear the last 2 games last season. I'm not a Jones fan but I sure don't hate the guy. He had some good seasons but left us expecting more.
Ok I’ll bite. What “something” did Butch do?

Well this thread sure started off oddly. Preston is the one guy I wanted to stay in Orange while Butch ran off. Did not work out and the rest is well as they say....history.

Dp_SS2pWwAEr6eT.jpg

I agree with you. I just think it's time to stop blaming Jones. He recruited enough talent to win the East with, just couldn't coach. And he has been gone for almost 2 years.

Sorry but I totally disagree. Butch fired Lawson at the end of 2015. We basically went almost a year and a half with no real S&C program. That fact alone should make Butch pay back his salary for 2016-2017. We are just now digging out of that hole.

Bitch Jones is the overwhelming reason we are where we are now.

Probably another Alvin Kamara 2.0

Somebody should put together the All-NFL Team that Butch could never utilize effectively at Tennessee:

Start with Kamara, Preston Williams, Orlando Brown, Jalen Hurd, Justin Coleman and Nate Peterman.

And don't forget all of those career ending injuries, many of them from carelessly placed helmuts.

Don't forget BUTCH JONES had JJ Watt at Central Michigan and he was sooo stupid that he made Watt quit the team and transfer to Wisconsin. Watt is probably the best D-lineman since Warren Sapp to come out of college!!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Not the worst by any stretch. My fandom goes back to 1982, and the worst coach was Dooley by far. Of course, with Majors/Fulmer being there so long, it's a small sample size.

So I guess Jones was second-worst, but I might even put him ahead of Kiffin. Never did drink that cool aid.
Kiffin may have hurt the program with how he left, but he is an infinitely better coach than Jones or Dooley.

Preston was inconsistent and dropped the ball a LOT. Didn’t look like that changed at CSU. He had a diva attitude without diva skills.

Kiffin may have hurt the program with how he left, but he is an infinitely better coach than Jones or Dooley.

And that's where we disagree. Better than Dooley for sure. Better play caller than either, but even there, he had his "moments". My favorite example is the 2009 bammer game. Time running out, all we need is a FG to win it, we have the ball with a 42-yarder and 38 seconds left. He chooses to run the clock down and try one from there. Our FG kicker, Lincoln, had some sort of nagging injury that year and was terrible from beyond 40, but actually very good inside it. He had in fact missed two FGs that day from the 40s. Instead of trying to get 5 more yards, which we had plenty of time to do, Kiffin tried the 42 yarder with a kicker that was hitting about 35=40% past 40 yards on the season. That was just ****ING STUPID.

Also stupid. Needing a TD to beat UCLA with time running out, ball on the first and goal at the 7, he chooses to rotate Hardesty and Brown, even though (a) Hardesty is the power back, and (b) Hardesty had been the better performing back all day. Result: Hardesty two carries for 6 yards, Brown two carries for 0, ball turned over on downs, UCLA wins.

Or early in the game against Auburn, who had the worst or second worst run D in the conference, we ran the ball on our first play from scrimmage for 41 yards down to their 24 yard line. At which point, Kiffin, for some reason, decided it would be a good idea for CROMPTON to throw the ball three times in a row. I know that Crompton later in the season came into his own and developed into a decent SEC QB under Kiffin's tutelage (and yes, I give Kiffin credit for that), but this was an early October game and Crompton just wasn't there yet. We ended up missing an FG on that drive, set the tone for the entire game and lost by 4 points. Should have lined up and ran over them to the TD and never looked back, but Kiffin was/is an effing moron sometimes.

We never should have had our arses handed to us at Ole Miss.

We should not have been embarassed in the bowl game.

For all the Kiffin admirers., he struggled to be 7-6 in a year in which, IMO, we should have beaten UCLA, Auburn, and bammer and been at least 10-3, maybe better. Who knows, we win those three games maybe the effort against Ole Miss and in the bowl game is better.

Kiffin was a good to great recruiter, good motivator, and mostly a good play caller (but with some really stupid decisions at times), but not head coaching material, and definitely not in the SEC. He was very mediocre his one year in Knoxville, a big loser with the Raiders, a big loser at USC senior, and so far has had one good season at FAU.

Sorry, didn't drink the cool aid at the time, and still not.

And those of you who wanted Kiffin over Pruitt.....y'all need to be lined up against a wall and shot. I mean, COME ON.....:D

Butch was also prevented from hiring anyone by Hart due to Lawson’s buyout.

Fulmer’s biggest impact is loosening the purse strings. Same thing happened to Fulmer when he fired Sanders.

He’ll, Barnes was paying an assistant out of his own pocket.

Preston had the most impressive HS tape in his class and it was a shame it didnt work out here. I chalk it up to mismanagement of his talent..sorta like Jalen Hurd. Not lack of development..

Receivers weren't getting their opportunities with Butch's RPO offense and Dobbs electing to tuck it alot. It was obvious the receivers would get mad and when Preston wasnt getting as many snaps I knew it would be difficult to keep a talent like his content on the bench.

Preston deserved better and we were fools for not putting the ball in his hands as much as we could.

Preston had the most impressive HS tape in his class and it was a shame it didnt work out here. I chalk it up to mismanagement of his talent..sorta like Jalen Hurd. Not lack of development..

Receivers weren't getting their opportunities with Butch's RPO offense and Dobbs electing to tuck it alot. It was obvious the receivers would get mad and when Preston wasnt getting as many snaps I knew it would be difficult to keep a talent like his content on the bench.

Preston deserved better and we were fools for not putting the ball in his hands as much as we could.

Nailed it. Hence the loss of top flight receivers on the recruiting board like Higgins.

Reactions: overseasorange2

VN Store

Back