2020 recruiting class finish prediction

If Pruitt is able to find low radar guys and develop them, this isn’t a bad finish (considering our lack of recent success).
I'm fine with top 12 classes. Find hard working players and hit on a few 5 stars here and there, win 9-10 games, and the top 5 classes will come.

Edit: And I trust this staff to get us there.

Current commits:

4⭐
S Keshawn Lawrence
QB Harrison Bailey
DT Dominic Bailey
JUCO CB Art Green
C Cooper Mays
WR Jalin Hyatt

3⭐
CB Lovie Jenkins
RB Tee Hodge
ATH Jimmy Calloway
ATH Darion Williamson
G Javontez Spraggins
G James Robinson

2⭐️ LS Will Albright

SILENTS (I think it’s common knowledge these 4 are gonna be in the class)
4⭐️ DE Jay Hardy
4⭐️ DE Tyler Baron
4⭐️ DT Omari Thomas
4⭐️ ILB Bryson Eason

Who I think we finish with:

5⭐️ OLB Sav’ell Smalls (Moose working hard here. I think this reaks of the To’oto’o situation from last year. We’ll impress on the field compared to that of FSU and we fight off Washington and Oregon to get him here.)

5⭐️ WR Rakim Jarrett (he’ll decommit from LSU around October and sign with us over Maryland on the December signing day, likely a 4⭐️ By then, due to the fact that his top 2 is Tennessee and Maryland, and the lack of ESPNs big 5 of Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma and OSU they’ll get pissy about it, because we all know field performance doesn’t matter with this stuff)

5⭐️ TE Darnell Washington (I could be wrong here but Atlanta VOL seems way too confident here for me not to be. I think he visits the weekend before the early signing day in December and we seal the deal there.)

4⭐️ ILB Len’Neth Whitehead (I think we miss on Sewell and get him as a consolation, even though it’s not really much of one. The wild card here is when South Carolina starts pushing)

4⭐️ S Antonio Johnson (I think once the A&M smoke clears we’ll get him back on campus again and he’ll realize why he committed here to begin with, and recommit. If not watch for Mordecai McDaniel)

3⭐️ RB Marvin Scott III (after missing on Holmes and likely Jordan I think we go after him hard and sign him, not hard to beat out Virginia Tech here)

3⭐️ DE Tre’Vonn Rybka (the Kentucky talk sounds like nonsense to me, think even if for whatever reason he commits to them on the 20th we still flip him. The beatdown we put on the cats in Kroger will be all the more reason.)

3⭐️ OT Branson Taylor (as of right now I think we miss on Morris to A&M. And instead of taking what would be a project in Tariq Stewart the staff opts to recruit this kid and sign him in February. Frame is small at 290 but at 6’6 he’s has a ton of room to grow, and we’ll be solid at OT for now so he could redshirt. And I know about his top 2, I think he decommitts from Pitt and opens it back up in December)

WR Adonai Mitchell (he’s a take rn IMO, at the rate he’s picking up offers he could be as high as a 4⭐️ By the February signing day. He’ll have a monster senior year and we’ll end up the highest ranked skill player in the state not named Keshawn Lawrence.)

Potential git-shirts: Darion Williamson, Lovie Jenkins and Jimmy Calloway. I think we keep Calloway as a WR in this class and Lovie plans to enroll early so we’ll keep him around. Williamson, however, ends up at Memphis or another school and loses his spot basically in favor of Mitchell. That puts us at the 25 limit.

Potential transfers: I couldn’t think of any except Maryland QB Kasim Hill, and that’s only if JG goes to the NFL early. Of course this will change depending on who hits the portal after the 2019 SZN

The 247 class calculator gives this class a rating of 285.41 (they dont have Adonai Mitchell’s profile as a guy you can add to the calculator, so I kept Williamson in that spot as a body basically) to compare, that would be the number 6 class in the country for the 2019 cycle, but there’s no accurate way to see where it would put us for 2020. This recruiting cycle seems to be more top heavy than previous as the whole top 5 will probably be over 300, so I’d say we be around the 9-10 range with this class, which would be an upgrade from the previous SZN.

Of course 50 new names could show up around January and this whole thing could end up wrong but hey it’s a slow day and here’s something to think about

Agreed. I think the 2021 class has potential to be top 5. The whole class except for maybe a select few 3s will be 4 and 5 stars. Only place it might be tough to recruit next cycle is at QB because Bailey might start as a true freshman and will dominate if he does, but could have as many as 5 5⭐️s on the defensive side. We’ll also take a kicker next class so there’s one of your 3⭐️s

1) Jimmy Calloway is not a "git- shirt " candidate. Not even close.

2) Gaurantano going pro???

3) We will absolutely need 2 more QBs going into next season.

Its been something he's saying to recruits behind the scenes. No question about that.
I've seen the eight win thing but not the West Virginia part. It could just be something said to fire up the boosters. Unless you know the context I wouldn't extrapolate that he's too optimistic based on that. You obviously are entitled to your opinion just seems kind of flimsy to me.

Last edited:
That doesn't add-up imo, CJP suggesting a recruit, "look somewhere else." I call BS, but bluetick saying no question about that. I feel once Pruitt and staff invest ample time into a recruit they feel will help the team they aren't gonna back away for any reason whatsoever.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
That doesn't add-up imo, CJP suggesting a recruit, "look somewhere else." I call BS, but bluetick saying no question about that. I feel once Pruitt and staff invest ample time into a recruit they feel will help the team they aren't gonna back away for any reason whatsoever.
They did with Jalil Clemons and Ladarius Cox last year. Those guys didn’t just voluntarily flip to Memphis and Ole Miss just because, they were recruited over. No Pruitt isn’t gonna straight up tell a kid “go somewhere else” but they’ll stop being in contact with said player and they’ll either get the idea or they’ll find out their spot was taken on signing day.

To be fair, Lyle signed those classes because he backloaded on 3⭐️ Recruits and would take all the “paper 4 stars” as in those Florida kids that were 5’9 160 with offers from Rutgers and WVU. He certainly didn’t get it by shooting for the moon like this staff has been doing.

He still recruited well enough to build playoff caliber rosters in 2015 and 2016. He recruited some dudes. Too bad he sucked when it came to development.

If that carnival barker can do it, then image what Pruitt can do with some quality wins under his belt.

Butch Jones signed back to back # 5 classes at UT. If he can do it, Pruitt certainly can also. To sign a Top 5 this year it would take 9+ wins. Winning 7 or more and showing real progress on the field will help the 2021 class in a big way and have real potential for a Top 5.

Close but not true. According to 247...The 2014 class ended up ranked no7 and the 2015 class ended up ranked no4. So we’ve had just 1 top 5 class over the last decade. We’ve averaged about 12ish or so. And about 5th in the sec. it’s possible of course. But almost certainly won’t happen this year as far back as we are.

Reactions: UTvol1fn
Commits who have academic issues or visit around after committing put their spots at risk. This staff tends to hold off taking commitments and risk losing a recruit going elsewhere more than backing off committable offers. They see something in the lower-rated recruits that their rating doesn't reflect and stick with them, unless the recruit gives them a reason to move on. That's how it's worked so far. If we have a surge of top recruits wanting in, we'll see some changes.

7-9 wins this year MAY get within sniffing distance of the top five. Have you looked at who is currently in the top 5? Who exactly would we recruit and sign to knock any of those teams out of their place? Oh wait, are we still waiting on Kirby and Ogeron to spit the bit?
I don’t see anyway we’re top five this year. It would take something miraculous like Tennessee winning the East for that to happen.

I do think this staff can bring in top five classes consistently but we have to show progress on the field this year and show progress in getting kids drafted. We’ve got elite recruiters that haven’t had a hell of a lot to sell kids on.

I don’t see anyway we’re top five this year. It would take something miraculous like Tennessee winning the East for that to happen.

I do think this staff can bring in top five classes consistently but we have to show progress on the field this year and show progress in getting kids drafted. We’ve got elite recruiters that haven’t had a hell of a lot to sell kids on.
Atlanta Vol projected top 5-7 finish if we win anywhere from 7-9 games.

There ya go.
Don't see UGA landing Gilbert. Lot of noise about UGA falling behind other schools. Have heard its because Washington gave a silent and Gilbert doesn't want to be in the same class with him and have heard Gilbert is just playing the game. Either way, Gilbert isn't included in any of the UGA mock classes by insiders.

Where in the world did you read that he was telling boosters that?
No idea what he’s telling boosters but multiple recruits have said something along the lines of he’s told them we’re going to win 8+ games this year. He’s saying that bc several other sec teams have told kids that Tennessee is where you go to kill your football career.

No idea what he’s telling boosters but multiple recruits have said something along the lines of he’s told them we’re going to win 8+ games this year. He’s saying that bc several other sec teams have told kids that Tennessee is where you go to kill your football career.
I can believe 8 games this year but I was referring to someone saying that he was telling boosters that were gonna win 8 last year and I knew that wasn't happening

Atlanta Vol projected top 5-7 finish if we win anywhere from 7-9 games.
Top ten imo. I don’t see us overtaking Georgia, Bama, Clemson, or LSU. So I guess it’s possible we sneak into that 5th spot. I think A&M will finish strong as well. Ohio state who knows what happens on the field with them? Florida State and Miami are also question marks.

Top ten imo. I don’t see us overtaking Georgia, Bama, Clemson, or LSU. So I guess it’s possible we sneak into that 5th spot. I think A&M will finish strong as well. Ohio state who knows what happens on the field with them? Florida State and Miami are also question marks.
Top ten would be fine with. We will have some elite talent coming in on the defensive line from 2020 class. Just hope we can hit on a stud WR and RB.

Close but not true. According to 247...The 2014 class ended up ranked no7 and the 2015 class ended up ranked no4. So we’ve had just 1 top 5 class over the last decade. We’ve averaged about 12ish or so. And about 5th in the sec. it’s possible of course. But almost certainly won’t happen this year as far back as we are.
Rivals ranked both of UT's 2014 and 2015 classes #5. Fact.

VN Store

Back