Sushi Help

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Does anyone know of a place in Knoxville that will sell small amounts of sushi-grade fish to be used in home preparation? I don't need anything exotic, just maybe tuna, yellowtail, and salmon.

TIA

Does anyone know of a place in Knoxville that will sell small amounts of sushi-grade fish to be used in home preparation? I don't need anything exotic, just maybe tuna, yellowtail, and salmon.

TIA
Maybe Fresh Market or Earth Fare? I’ve seen The Shrimp Dock listed as the best option in Knoxville from people that make their own.

I’ve seen The Shrimp Dock listed as the best option in Knoxville from people that make their own.
That's a good idea -- I've never seen it advertised there, but I'll call and see if they either keep some in the back or can maybe order it.

Are there any Asian markets in Knoxville? There’s one where I live that sells sushi grade fish

So far, I've found out that Shrimp Dock and Sunshine Supermarket (Asian grocery) both carry sushi-grade tuna and salmon. No luck on yellowtail.

Reactions: davethevol
So far, I've found out that Shrimp Dock and Sunshine Supermarket (Asian grocery) both carry sushi-grade tuna and salmon. No luck on yellowtail.
I would think Earth Fare would have something. Seems like they’d cater to that market.

The truth is that there is no official definition or standard for "sushi-grade" fish.

Some argue it should be frozen immediately after being caught on the boat to maintain the freshest taste. Some say it should be frozen to under -40 degrees to kill off parsites/bacteria. Some say it should be frozen for 48 hours at least, while others say it should be frozen for 7 days at a certain temperature to kill parasites/bacteria.

I get that, but I was looking for a resource that supplies either local sushi restaurants or even grocery-based preparers.

VN Store

Back