Need At DT

Sean Brown moves to DE IMO. He’s not going to play TE with the dudes we have on the team. This year he’s behind DWA, Lowe, Pope, Warren. Next year potentially behind all of those except swap DW for Washington or Gilbert
So he can go to the back of that line? I don’t think so. Can we get a couple of games in before we label him a bust?

Suffice to say we're not doing anything here. It's been a few days so if we were to look at adding somebody someway somehow, then I think there would've been smoke out there.

Bodes well for Solomon IMO.

And I hope we can get Garland out of the portal.

We better take at least three 290+ DL this cycle.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I'm starting to realize there is a massive misunderstanding on this board regarding our DLine. We have plenty of bodies at that position. It isn't a numbers issue.
Bodies doesn’t mean good/excellent players, nor does it mean quality depth. We have guys, but do we have “dudes”? We literally have no returning DT production and we’re thin and unproven at DE/OLB outside of a very inconsistent Darrell Taylor.

Who knows, we may find 2-3 outstanding players that play great from the jump, guys that haven’t shown/done anything to date, and all this concern and debate is all for naught. But that ain’t likely, especially in a line of scrimmage league like SEC.

Last edited:
I just remember butchs final year, we had severely undersized guys playing tackle and it was a blood bath every game iirc
Nothing tops mid 2016 after a few injuries. We had DEs playing DTs. From halftime vs Bama and on was hard to watch.

Suffice to say we're not doing anything here. It's been a few days so if we were to look at adding somebody someway somehow, then I think there would've been smoke out there.

Bodes well for Solomon IMO.

And I hope we can get Garland out of the portal.

We better take at least three 290+ DL this cycle.

Not sure we should read too much into it - are there even any grad DTs worthy? Also seems really late in the process. I would be skeptical of any guy that still hasn't landed anywhere.

Bodies doesn’t mean good/excellent players, nor does it mean quality depth. We have guys, but do we have “dudes”? We literally have no returning DT production and we’re thin and unproven at DE/OLB outside of a very inconsistent Darrell Taylor.

Who knows, we may find 2-3 outstanding players that play great from the jump, guys that haven’t shown/done anything to date, and all this concern and debate is all for naught. But that ain’t likely, especially in a line of scrimmage league like SEC.
Maybe so, but looks to me like we've got as much beef as we've ever had in the DL, and by the time we go to FL, they will be 3 games beyond "unproven."

Reactions: LittleVol

Unproven? Yes. But that's it!

They just need to play.

People have forgotten the days of Kongbo bulking up to 280 and us hoping he would be a beast )He actually was steady at that spot.)
Blakely is 285...Butler is 285 and they're not even in the top half of bigger guys on the DL.

Not to mention the DL isn't operating in a vacuum. Our LB's very experienced or talented and will help create pressure.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
With Solomon getting denied I don’t have much faith in an appeal. I bet we explore possible transfers.

So he can go to the back of that line? I don’t think so. Can we get a couple of games in before we label him a bust?
Oh i don’t think he’s not capable of playing well at TE, but given what we have at that position it’s seems like he won’t get much playing time. However, he was an excellent DE in HS and there was speculation about which position he would play at the next level. There was an article written about is versatility as well. At 6’5 245 already, and the speed that he has as a TE, he could get playing time at DE quicker IMO

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Oh i don’t think he’s not capable of playing well at TE, but given what we have at that position it’s seems like he won’t get much playing time. However, he was an excellent DE in HS and there was speculation about which position he would play at the next level. There was an article written about is versatility as well. At 6’5 245 already, and the speed that he has as a TE, he could get playing time at DE quicker IMO
He def needs a redshirt year. Arms are skinny, needs to add beef.

VN Store

Back