Lady Vols vs Belgium Highlights

We're back!
A tiny bit premature don't you think? Carson Newman is probably better than these teams or not far behind. We have no idea what we have yet. I do like what I have seen so far. It's good to see Davis being aggressive and going to the hoop. Kellie needs her to keep that portion of her game going. It puts pressure on the defense and pressure along with movement break a defense down.

I want to hold off from saying we’re back. I don’t want my excitement over the fact that we now have a real coach to cause me to have unrealistic expectations. We still have a LONG road back to being elite again, and that starts with regaining respect in our own conference.

I do think we’re headed in the direction. Doing the little things right, which Kellie is emphasizing, is a great start. I also notice a visible shift in terms of energy and intensity in the highlights. So, I am excited, but this isn’t going to happen overnight.

each of us has our own definition of "we're back" 1. looking strong, 2. A bit premature 3. LONG road to being elite 4. a real coach

the common denominator - we're excited we approve of the progress within the off season and are convinced the team is on the road

go LVs

each of us has our own definition of "we're back" 1. looking strong, 2. A bit premature 3. LONG road to being elite 4. a real coach

the common denominator - we're excited we approve of the progress within the off season and are convinced the team is on the road

go LVs

For sure. Points well taken!

A tiny bit premature don't you think? Carson Newman is probably better than these teams or not far behind. We have no idea what we have yet. I do like what I have seen so far. It's good to see Davis being aggressive and going to the hoop. Kellie needs her to keep that portion of her game going. It puts pressure on the defense and pressure along with movement break a defense down.
Agree. I'm excited about the new coaching staff and hopeful the LVs are on the way back but to use this game as a barometer is ludicrous. What I saw was a layup drill against a severely undersized and overmatched opponent.

Reactions: ttharp
Agree. I'm excited about the new coaching staff and hopeful the LVs are on the way back but to use this game as a barometer is ludicrous. What I saw was a layup drill against a severely undersized and overmatched opponent.

A lay-up drill it was. I’m interested to see what the offense will look like when we’re forced to execute in the half-court.

But going back to the little things though. It appears the team is responding to being challenged by Coach Harper.

Lol this is true but against undersized teams last year our team was tentative and not even doing the lay up drill it was pass around the perimeter jack up a shot unless Westbrook was bull dozing into the lane.

I agree that it’s early but I enjoy the aggressive nature for sure. Also I am encouraged because Massengil has hit a couple of jumpers in the clips which is a couple more than last year against terrible teams 😂

Last year and for the past few years, all I could see was needs of these last teams.
I know coaching.
When I see clips of highlights, I sometimes play them over and look at different things,
not only the actions but the reactions
or lack of

Oversizing and overpowering,,,we always have been these things
But we didn't play like we were those things,,,eking out wins from foes like these.

Horston is for real.
Jazmine is playing with confidence
Rennia looks ready to turn it on
Zaay looks ready
Key, Saunders and KK give us depth at post
Burrell gives us a baseline post

I know coaching
for the last few years it has been our Achilles heal
Now it can be our strength

Get er done Coach K....errr....Coach Kellie

Last edited:
Lol this is true but against undersized teams last year our team was tentative and not even doing the lay up drill it was pass around the perimeter jack up a shot unless Westbrook was bull dozing into the lane.

I agree that it’s early but I enjoy the aggressive nature for sure. Also I am encouraged because Massengil has hit a couple of jumpers in the clips which is a couple more than last year against terrible teams 😂
Jaz getting some great passes and assists in there too. Gonna be fun watching her develop.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Lol 😂

Last year and for the past few years, all I could see was needs of these last teams.
I know coaching.
When I see clips of highlights, I sometimes play them over and look at different things,
not only the actions but the reactions
or lack of

Oversizing and overpowering,,,we always have been these things
But we didn't play like we were those things,,,eking out wins from foes like these.

Horston is for real.
Jazmine is playing with confidence
Rennia looks ready to turn it on
Zaay looks ready
Key, Saunders and KK give us depth at post
Burrell gives us a baseline post

I know coaching
for the last few years it has been our Achilles heal
Now it can be our strength

Get er done Coach K....errr....Coach Kellie
Mercedes was oversized. Are you saying she was overpowering?

After reading all the comments I retract my previous post on this thread and based on these two games I now predict regular season plus tournament SEC championships and no less than a Final Four appearance for these Lady Vols. That is, of course, negated if Sophie Cunningham or Holly Warlick is anywhere in the building during SEC tournament play. Go Lady Vols and go Coach Harper.

Reactions: mcannon1
19 turnovers...need a little work...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

While it's still essentially Summer Ball, it's probable that some of the turnovers (of course, we don't have complete game films to evaluate) are the result of simply over doing it a bit in the "showing the coach/teammates what I can do" department. Things really do get a little sloppy in such settings, even up to the NBA level.
Several posters have pointed out that Coach Kellie is stressing fundamentals, accountability - "Make good on the minutes you get" (paraphrase). We're seeing a lot of dribble-drives. Nothing wrong with that, however, such "assertiveness" can lead to turnovers/sloppy play, and overlooking an open teammate on the perimeter, often in the corner; and so, this talent display, though athletically impressive, will have to be cleaned up. I am agreeing with you, BTW, but I suspect the Staff is more tolerant (for the reasons mentioned), for now, than they will be come winter time.

Coach Jumper, would you please explain your "baseline post" statement. I think I understand what you mean as it applies to Rae Burrell's athleticism, but, I'm not certain. Incidentally, one of the most impressive/encouraging things we can garner from the highlight films, so far, is the emergence of our very talented sophomore trio.

Mercedes was oversized. Are you saying she was overpowering?

To anyone more scared than she was,,,yes
To equal or imposing opponents,,no
only since she got into the W has she began to fight back in the paint.

Look at what she was rated before she got here and how she is becoming a more complete player in the W.
Merce always had it in her,,,,,she was simply not coached right here.

After reading all the comments I retract my previous post on this thread and based on these two games I now predict regular season plus tournament SEC championships and no less than a Final Four appearance for these Lady Vols. That is, of course, negated if Sophie Cunningham or Holly Warlick is anywhere in the building during SEC tournament play. Go Lady Vols and go Coach Harper.

I don't.
But I also will not be surprised if this happens

Reactions: GameTime
While it's still essentially Summer Ball, it's probable that some of the turnovers (of course, we don't have complete game films to evaluate) are the result of simply over doing it a bit in the "showing the coach/teammates what I can do" department. Things really do get a little sloppy in such settings, even up to the NBA level.
Several posters have pointed out that Coach Kellie is stressing fundamentals, accountability - "Make good on the minutes you get" (paraphrase). We're seeing a lot of dribble-drives. Nothing wrong with that, however, such "assertiveness" can lead to turnovers/sloppy play, and overlooking an open teammate on the perimeter, often in the corner; and so, this talent display, though athletically impressive, will have to be cleaned up. I am agreeing with you, BTW, but I suspect the Staff is more tolerant (for the reasons mentioned), for now, than they will be come winter time.

Coach Jumper, would you please explain your "baseline post" statement. I think I understand what you mean as it applies to Rae Burrell's athleticism, but, I'm not certain. Incidentally, one of the most impressive/encouraging things we can garner from the highlight films, so far, is the emergence of our very talented sophomore trio.

Sure, think about

Karl Malone .. he was an elbow forward. a pure Point-Forward...when the offense didn't go through Stockton, the offense ran through him. He did most of his damage in pivot-drives and running over people from the elbows and top of the key,,,passing, distributing and driving

While Dennis Rodman (During "the worm" era) got all of his points on putbacks, and baseline attacks same for rebounding (going in from the baseline puts you under the bigs and if you know how to boxout, you can rebound from a front position.

Burrell's game is more like Rodmans...she attacks from the
baseline, cuts in through the BL for back-door attempts, spots up on the baseline and rebounds from the baseline
We have to have this type of player when we run dribble-drives
It give us a true hi-lo tandem and a shuffle-pass option for drivers

Burrell's game is good for both motion and traditional offenses.

Sure, think about

Karl Malone .. he was an elbow forward. a pure Point-Forward...when the offense didn't go through Stockton, the offense ran through him. He did most of his damage in pivot-drives and running over people from the elbows and top of the key,,,passing, distributing and driving

While Dennis Rodman (During "the worm" era) got all of his points on putbacks, and baseline attacks same for rebounding (going in from the baseline puts you under the bigs and if you know how to boxout, you can rebound from a front position.

Burrell's game is more like Rodmans...she attacks from the
baseline, cuts in through the BL for back-door attempts, spots up on the baseline and rebounds from the baseline
We have to have this type of player when we run dribble-drives
It give us a true hi-lo tandem and a shuffle-pass option for drivers

Burrell's game is good for both motion and traditional offenses.

Thanks for clarifying.
From our limited access (and her stats) Miss Burrell has certainly been very impressive.

I'd like to see execution in a half court offense. Running, steals, and layups are how we started out last year. The team won 15 straight against mostly weak teams. During SEC play, the team encountered zone defense; plus teams they could not out run. The team then struggled when trying to execute a half court offense. I hope these coaches work on half court execution during the coming months. I'm sure we'll see zone defenses when playing well coached opponents. I hope we will have consistent 3 point shooters who are quick enough to guard talented opponents.

Last edited:
I'd like to see execution in a half court offense. Running, steals, and layups are how we started out last year. The team won 15 straight against mostly weak teams. During SEC play, the team encountered zone defense; plus teams they could not out run. The team then struggled when trying to execute a half court offense. I hope these coaches work extensively on half court execution during the coming months. I'm sure we'll see zone defenses when playing well coached opponents. I hope we will have consistent 3 point shooters who are quick enough to guard talented opponents.

Our teams played excellent man and zone defense until they couldn't find it in themselves to continue...A coach not calling timeouts to at least try to interrupt runs, or let the girls breath for a moment and try to regain themselves,,,will give even the staunchest competitor the "give ups"

I had to have dental work after the seasons from gritting my teeth waiting for a timeout.

You break zones by penetrating them... and/or making them adjust to the angles not covered by the placement setup ,, and by cutting through or spotting up in the open spots of the zone.

When you play man defense, you are playing checkers..the player who masters the most moves, wins
When you play zone, you are playing chess,,,trying to move to places they have trouble getting to

Reactions: GameTime and lvocd

VN Store

Back