Be Ready to see thousands of BYU fans in Knoxville

I'm going to shoot straight. Knoxville, despite being close to the mountains and outdoor recreation opportunities, is not a healthy city like what you have out west. Most of the businesses close to the stadium are either fast food or student watering holes where food sales are a distant secondary business consideration. The tailgating is a mixed bag with some decidedly family friendly areas, but most of it is overwhelmingly dominated by excessive alcohol consumption. Not to stereotype, but I foresee a bit of a cultural divide. Hopefully, BYU will sponsor a tailgate for your folks who don't want to deal with fried food and rowdy drunks.

Yep Typical SEC. Except LSU's food is amazing.

Good ole Stormin Mormons not likely to get smashed and make a mess. Lol.

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.

LDS Girls? Over my head.

Looks like we got a hold of BYU's playbook...

brass-plates-BOM-e1381373361287.jpg

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.
Yes and you can marry more than one

Was that place real? I only ever heard of it when I was in high school like it was some mythical hole in the wall (no pun in intended) dive bar somewhere in Knoxville.
I knew of it as a place that girls went to when they really wanted to blow out a big party and be safe from being hit on.

Saying there are Cougers there?

Same in Nashville. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Palm, and Flemming's have all been here for years now. None are any better than Sperry's or Jimmy Kelly’s, both of which have the added cache of being long time Nashville institutions that you can't experience anywhere else alon with lower prices in many cases. If you just want to pay more, you can go to Kayne Prime and skip the chain stores.

If I lived in Knoxville, I'd probably go to Copper Cellar over Ruth's Chris just to support local business. You lose a place like that and it's hard to get back (see Regas).
JImmy Kelly’s might be my favorite restaurant in all the land

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I find it interesting that, in an era of extreme sensitivity to group identity, so many people seem to think it's okay to bash LDS for polygamy when it has not been a part of their mainstream faith since 1890. I wonder if all of you would be as motivated to joke about Islam, which allows adherents to have up to 4 wives? I realize that we are not playing a Muslim college but I think the point is valid and some of you need to think about the message you're putting out there and what it says about us.

And yet, they still do and they get jailed for it.

Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia

I'm going to shoot straight. Knoxville, despite being close to the mountains and outdoor recreation opportunities, is not a healthy city like what you have out west. Most of the businesses close to the stadium are either fast food or student watering holes where food sales are a distant secondary business consideration. The tailgating is a mixed bag with some decidedly family friendly areas, but most of it is overwhelmingly dominated by excessive alcohol consumption. Not to stereotype, but I foresee a bit of a cultural divide. Hopefully, BYU will sponsor a tailgate for your folks who don't want to deal with fried food and rowdy drunks.

Sounds like my kind of place. GBO!

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Probably ribeye because that's what a prefer but it has been a while and I can't recall for certain.
I always get N. Y Strip median rate. It is about 2 inches thick and very tender. It is more than I can eat at one sitting but is really good with eggs the next morning.

BYU @ Tennessee CougarTown Tailgate

BYU had 3500 tickets from the alumni chapter in Tennessee. They are sold out a month before the game, and That doesn't even include tickets from the BYU ticket office. It is likely that BYU will have about 8-10 thousand fans there. In our MTSU road game in 2014 had 6000 more fans there than their next home game against FAU (18000 vs 12000). Generally we travel very well and already have lots of fans scattered throughout the country. Gonna be a fun game and a great atmosphere. It'll be my first game in a stadium anywhere near this big. (Nebraska would be my next biggest)

Is there anything we need to know as far as things to do or places to eat that I can pass on to fellow cougars?

Their only coming to see mountains with actually trees on them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back