All-time best Vols

I could also watch clips of his completely average backup, Daryl Dickey, going undefeated and putting up better and more efficient numbers than he ever did while winning Sugar Bowl MVP. Y'all associate Tony Robinson with an era of Tennessee football that won games, but he's not really as great of a QB as you say he is. It's just like Tee Martin.. great teams, decent QBs. I don't get the different era argument.. QBs were putting up numbers in the mid 80's. Maybe not like they do now.. but definitely more than 14 TDs in a season lol

Also that 85 team gave up only 34 points total in the last 7 games of the season.. they didn't need Tony and it showed lol

Those teams were good.. not saying Tony wasn't a good player, they seemed to play just fine without him. Generally speaking, that means the team itself is pretty strong. I don't see an argument where he's a better QB than guys who put up way more numbers and stayed healthy.
He was Doug William's before Doug Williams!!! His arm was 2nd to none . Still have the S.I. he was on the cover. Been watching Tenn. Football a long time...other than ofcourse Manning, Robinson had all the skills!!!

Youngsters will not remember Tom Tracy. He was a legendary smash mouth runner.
Curt Watson was a great running back and a better person.
Jamal Lewis was tough as nails.
Johnny Majors was a single wing TB that did everything.
Cobb/Webb were clearly the best duo.

As with most G.O.A.T. lists, it will vary widely by the era.

Chuck Webb is unquestionably my top choice. After him there are several deserving backs that could find themselves in a top 5 argument, but for me, Webb was the absolute total package. He had it all....vision, balance, lateral quickness, burst, speed and power.

W

Was hoping someone would mention Curt. Went to school with him in Crossville.

Oh, and I'll go with Johnny Majors b/c I don't get the "era" argument. Of course in 25 years (if they still allow tackle then) our star running back will be physically better than Majors, Webb, or Kamara. Everyone must be judged in the era they played in. So, Johnny came in 2nd in the Heisman. Nobody else we've had did that.

Reactions: feathersax
A difficult discussion because of the era a player played in.

Majors was great, but athletically compared to Cobb, Webb, Jones, Garner, Cheese, Kamara, or even Hurd...left out many outstanding RB's at UT...not even close. But generationally, he can make his case.

Jamal Lewis was clearly the most talented RB every at UT IMO. His size and speed were just unbelievable. He was a freak athlete.

W

Was hoping someone would mention Curt. Went to school with him in Crossville.
I saw the game in Georgia when he ganed 197 yards in a poring game. The official Georgia photographer worked with me at CDC in Atlanta and he gave me 4-5 pictures of Watson smashing through unbelievabe large holes which resulted in most of those holes. Georgia was ah heavy favoriate, but they bit the mud that Saturday. One of the most enjoyable Tennessee Georgia games I have seen. I would like to see a repeat of that game this year, of course, with this year's Tennessee team.

Reactions: feathersax
Was stationed in Bahrain where I listened to a day old broadcast of Johnny Jones lighting up Alabama, he will always hold a special place for me. But for my money Jamal was the best.

Majors a running back??? Ok, I'll start an argument.

Majors was a tailback in the single wing offensive backfield. Not a running back per say. He was the modern day QB. He ran, passed, handed off, usually called plays, and in some cases kicked. Just like the QB in some offensives of today. Not a running back by definition, who runs the ball, catches the ball or blocks (for the most part). Most recently, if Majors was a running back, you should place Dobbs (and going back some, others) in the same group.

1) Jamal Lewis as a frosh/ soph
2) Travis Stephens as a Senior
3) Webb
4) The Cheese
5) Charlie Garner
6) Jalen Hurd
7) Gerald Riggs as a soph
8) Alvin Kamara

Beattie Feathers was the greatest athlete ever to lace them up for the Vols. Would have been great in any era he was born in.

Holds an NFL record for YPC that will never be broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711
Speed and shiftiness, change directions on a dime, UT's version of Barry Sanders - Chuck Webb
Run your a$$ over, power, UT's version of Hershell Walker - Jamal Lewis
Let the play develop, wait for blockers, follow them - Tony Thompson
One-half step away from a TD every time (if you don't tackle him) - Charlie Garner
Bowling ball, ramming-speed - Cheese
All purpose - Alvin Kamara
Best heart, full-blooded UT - Johnnie Jones

Reactions: Memvol44
1. Travis Henry
2. Jamal Lewis
3. James Stewart
4. Charlie Garner
5. Alvin Kamara

Chuck Webb!!! I am 50 and have watched and gone to games since I was old enough to crawl. I graduated from UT in '91. I was a student while Chuck Webb was there. My dad is 89 and graduated from UT in '51. He was and is a season ticket holder since the 50's. All of my life (until in his 80's) he never missed a home game or bowl game and seldom missed an away game. He watched Major's play and countless others. He always said that Chuck Webb was the best running back he ever saw at UT.
I was at the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas in 1990. I was on the 2nd row behind the bench. Chuck Webb set right in front of us when the offense was not on the field. He ran for 250 yards that day giving us a 30 to 27 win. He loved it just as much as the fans did! During that game and after that game I remember Arkansas fans flipping through the program and asking who in the hell is that Webb kid! :D
It was the same way at the Pigskin classic in California that kicked of the season that year. TN rallied to tie Colorado 31-31. Webb had about 150 yards in that game. Kelly threw for over 350 yards. It was GREAT! A tie never felt so good. Colorado was in the top 5, considered to be a candidate for the National Championship. The score board didn't show it but TN out played them to come from behind and tie the game.

Reactions: Memvol44
Not sure anymore how "best" is measured, but the most talented ever was Charlie Garner

Majors a running back??? Ok, I'll start an argument.

Majors was a tailback in the single wing offensive backfield. Not a running back per say. He was the modern day QB. He ran, passed, handed off, usually called plays, and in some cases kicked. Just like the QB in some offensives of today. Not a running back by definition, who runs the ball, catches the ball or blocks (for the most part). Most recently, if Majors was a running back, you should place Dobbs (and going back some, others) in the same group.
Agreed, it's like saying Can Newton was a great RB at Auburn since he rushed for 1400 yards in a season

Bobby Majors somewhere in top five(yougins scratching heads going, whoooo ?).....week long discussion could ensue just agreeing on top 10.....so many great Big Orange players have passed thru Knoxville !

VN Store

Back