Be Ready to see thousands of BYU fans in Knoxville

If you like pizza, Hard Knox is really good and only about 3-4 miles from the stadium. Pretty family friendly too the times I've been there (granted the last time was mid-day on a Sunday in the spring).

BYU @ Tennessee CougarTown Tailgate

BYU had 3500 tickets from the alumni chapter in Tennessee. They are sold out a month before the game, and That doesn't even include tickets from the BYU ticket office. It is likely that BYU will have about 8-10 thousand fans there. In our MTSU road game in 2014 had 6000 more fans there than their next home game against FAU (18000 vs 12000). Generally we travel very well and already have lots of fans scattered throughout the country. Gonna be a fun game and a great atmosphere. It'll be my first game in a stadium anywhere near this big. (Nebraska would be my next biggest)

Is there anything we need to know as far as things to do or places to eat that I can pass on to fellow cougars?

Why in the hell did you grab a handle with "Vol" in it? Maybe, DougtheCougar or DougthePolygamist... Or Dougthe... Ah, I won't say it

Last edited:
Trained at Hill AFB in Salt Lake in the 90s. Drank horrid beer (Grizzly Beer Malt Liquor, worse than Colt 45) cause the beer alcohol % was and still is 3.2% in Utah. Utah is beautiful, great skiing, grocery stores are or were awesome. Alcohol for consumption takes time and money for the desired effect, unless on base or carried from out of state. Watch out tail gaiting with the BYU fans ; Might not want to offer TN shine.

Things have changed since some of you were last in SLC.

The Complete Beer-Lover's Guide to Breweries in Salt Lake City

Reactions: feathersax
Good ole Stormin Mormons not likely to get smashed and make a mess. Lol.

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.
I went through Utah on my way to Idaho, we spent one night there. You are correct, lots of beautiful women.

BYU had 3500 tickets from the alumni chapter in Tennessee. They are sold out a month before the game, and That doesn't even include tickets from the BYU ticket office. It is likely that BYU will have about 8-10 thousand fans there. In our MTSU road game in 2014 had 6000 more fans there than their next home game against FAU (18000 vs 12000). Generally we travel very well and already have lots of fans scattered throughout the country. Gonna be a fun game and a great atmosphere. It'll be my first game in a stadium anywhere near this big. (Nebraska would be my next biggest)

Is there anything we need to know as far as things to do or places to eat that I can pass on to fellow cougars?

Depends on how long you intend to stay. It is hard to beat Utah when it comes to outdoors.

Breakfast- Pete’s, Ruby sunshine
Lunch- cafe 4, Myrtles chicken and beer
Dinner- stock and barrel (burger), JC Holdway(order the burger that’s not on the menu, trust me!)
All within a 1 mile square called Market square
Watering holes- balter beer works (killer hot chicken sliders), firefly at the downtown Hilton
Barleys in the old city
A Dopo pizza-old city
You can’t go wrong with Calhouns on the river or Ruth’s Chris.
Just my 2 cents
GBO!!

Reactions: Zues1

So, if we spot you 8,000, that’s leaves us about 94,000 in the stands. I do believe we’ll have you a bit outnumbered.

Hope you guys have a great trip to Knoxville. It’s a special place as you’ll see.

Lol, SLC is a smog haven and hardly what I would call a healthy city. And I like going there. And they do drink in Utah.
Ye Olde Steakhouse has best prime rib in town (Just about five miles or so south of Neyland stadium). Calhoun's on the river is nice and there is live music. Visit the smoky mountains if you get the chance (approximately 50-60 minutes drive outside of Knoxville). Lots of things to do in Pigeon Forge if you bring the kids. GBO!!!!!!

This is definitely a household place to eat in Knox but make your reservations early. Chesapeake’s is a decent place too.

If you enjoy music you might want to see if there is anything going on at the Tennessee theatre.

Check out Ijams Nature Center. You can paddle board in a rock quarry, easy hikes along the Tennessee river, mountain bike if you rent bikes.

Chesapeake’s is a decent place to eat. So is
Ye Old Steakhouse.

Townsend has a fantastic restaurant if you want to eat the night before called The Dancing Bear.

Ruth’s Chris or Calhoun’s on the River

Might want to ride the passenger train out of downtown and back near The above two restaurants.

Take a ride on the Ferry near the above two restaurants.

Hang out at Sequoyah Hills’ Cherokee Blvd Park and go for a run or scenic drive and look at beautiful homes. There is a beautiful greenway that goes behind Earthfare in Bearden and crosses the river if you like long runs or walks.

Lakeshore Park is great three mile run/walk with a beautiful view at the top and across from a veterans’ memorial that you can visit and pay honor to some veterans.

Rent Jet skis or pontoon boat and ride around the lake.

House Mountain is a half day hike and not too far away or the Knoxville Zoo.

Sevierville & Pigeon Forge are less than an hour away and offer a ton of things to do.

Cherokee National Forest has some nice spots, Big South Fork does too... Charlie’s Bunyan is a pretty moderate hike in the Smokeys I think, Cades Cove, Chimneys are all places you can go explore outdoors...

Plenty of Golf. RiverIslands is the most unique and I think the old Eagles Landing now Sevierville Country Club.

Norris Lake is beautiful and offers recreational activities.

I went through Utah on my way to Idaho, we spent one night there. You are correct, lots of beautiful women.
Now this is making sense as to why you made such great time driving... and why you had to stay in the car while the family went inside to eat.

Reactions: joevol33

I spent 4 summers in Salt Lake, and I gotta say that the demographics are nice for a white guy. State is over 90% white, 60% female, and there are many many natural blondes many with blue eyes. Lots of pretty LDS girls...

Edit..if you cant find a decent looking wife in Utah, you're just a chump. The hotties are everywhere, and they are pushed from about birth to marry up and procreate. Seriously.
I want to move there.

Lonesome Dove, JC Holdway, The Oliver, Emilia for fine dining downtown.

A Dopo and Hard Knox for pizza.

Nama for sushi.

See the Vol Navy.

If you have time, hike. LeConte is stunning via the Alum Cave trail.

For a low key day, visit Townsend, tube the river, and shop at Smoky Mountain Outdoor Center.

Skip Ye Olde.

Be ready to see 90,000 plus to go along with your 8,000 fans!!! Are we suppose to be intimidated by a school bringing close to 10,000 to join our 90,000? Bama brings probably 20,000 and we still aren't intimidated!!! LOL

Spent some time out in Utah as well.

Gotta be honest. Nicest people out there I’ve ever encountered in the United States. Extremely clean and up kept state.

It’s the kind of place that you can go to a McDonald’s at like 330am on a backroad exit with 1 person working there and your order will be perfect and the person working there will be the brightest, pep-iest person on planet earth and as friendly as can be.

I don't recommend the ye olde steak house, ate there once and needed a chainsaw to cut my steak. Poor quality beef to say the least.
Totally agree. Way overhyped and too many other good places to eat. Don't waste time going here. Just stay downtown and any of the Market Square restaurants ( Not Watsons, Cafe 4, Stock and Barrel, Oliver Royale, Myrtles Chicken and Beer) or for an upscale meal try JC Holoway. For breakfast try OliBea or French Market. For the best Sushi try Nama on Gay street. Have a beer at Preservation Pub and listen to some live music. Way too much to do downtown without wasting your time traveling to Ye Old Steak House for an overpriced , low quality steak.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back