'18 TN DE Emmitt Gooden (Tennessee signee)

On the DL the more you can rotate the better. I would say having a 6 man rotation would be ideal and then having the 3rd string be able to jump in with injuries and what not. And I believe we are currently in much better shape as far as numbers and size go than we were last year. I think even without Gooden and Solomon we have at least 7 or 8 guys that would at least be serviceable if not better in some areas. Still inexperienced yes. But has the potential to be a pretty good unit.

So what % of time are we thinking we need 3 of those guys on the field at that the same time?

Reactions: snake
So what % of time are we thinking we need 3 of those guys on the field at that the same time?
Not sure I understand the question. We probably need 3 on the field close to 100% of the time. Haha. If you mean rotation maybe 60 40 or 70 30 starters to backups. As opposed to the 95 to 5 last year where our 3 experienced guys were completely gassed by the 3rd quarter. Good dl rotation will keep all of them fresh throughout the game and season.

Not sure I understand the question. We probably need 3 on the field close to 100% of the time. Haha. If you mean rotation maybe 60 40 or 70 30 starters to backups. As opposed to the 95 to 5 last year where our 3 experienced guys were completely gassed by the 3rd quarter. Good dl rotation will keep all of them fresh throughout the game and season.

I mean how much of the game do we really use 3 DL(A NT and 2 DTs) with only one Rush LB lined up as DE.

I mean how much of the game do we really use 3 DL(A NT and 2 DTs) with only one Rush LB lined up as DE.
In the past Pruitt has used versatility along the line. So instead of a giant 330lb nt and 2 300lb de, he would have a nt closer to 300lb that can slide into a 4 man front dt role. And one 300lb de that can slide into the other 4 man dt role. And the other de around 280 or 290 that can be kinda an oversized 4 man de with the rush lb sliding down and putting his hand in the dirt. His system when he has his players and they are trained up is designed to be able to switch fronts and formations without subbing to combat the up tempo offenses that are so popular these days because they prevent the defense from subbing to get the right personnel for different formations. It's the same reason he cross trains most of his lb and db. So that any formation or situation the up tempo offense tries to put him in to take advantage of not being able to sub is mitigated because his players can just adjust their roles to match it instead of having to sub to match. Also why they need deeper rotations because the next drive you can give them a break and let the second string get some.

In the past Pruitt has used versatility along the line. So instead of a giant 330lb nt and 2 300lb de, he would have a nt closer to 300lb that can slide into a 4 man front dt role. And one 300lb de that can slide into the other 4 man dt role. And the other de around 280 or 290 that can be kinda an oversized 4 man de with the rush lb sliding down and putting his hand in the dirt. His system when he has his players and they are trained up is designed to be able to switch fronts and formations without subbing to combat the up tempo offenses that are so popular these days because they prevent the defense from subbing to get the right personnel for different formations. It's the same reason he cross trains most of his lb and db. So that any formation or situation the up tempo offense tries to put him in to take advantage of not being able to sub is mitigated because his players can just adjust their roles to match it instead of having to sub to match. Also why they need deeper rotations because the next drive you can give them a break and let the second string get some.

Good post. Maybe a smaller guy like Mincey plays that “DE” spot some if I am following you correctly

Reactions: SmokinBob
Good post. Maybe a smaller guy like Mincey plays that “DE” spot some if I am following you correctly
Yes, Mincy, Butler, Bumphus I would think all fit that role perfectly. And possibly even Middleton given his athletism at his size. Which I think is why he seems to be getting a lot of run with bigger lineups.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Also, forgot Blakely. So without Gooden and possibly Solomon and Garland, we have the following:

270-290lb role
Butler 285
Mincy 271
Bumphus 273
Blakley 284

300-310lb role
Middleton 311
Savion 304
Elijah 340 (oversized but has the athleticism to work in a 4 man front as well)
Kingston 306
Emerson 309

That IMO has the potential to be a pretty solid 9 man rotation. Most of the guys in the 300lb role seem to have the versatility to play either the NT or DE role in a 3 man front or either DT role in a 4 man front. And most of the smaller guys seem like they could easily slide between 3 or 4 man fronts. If Solomon gets cleared and/or Garland comes back, that's 1 or 2 more in the bigger role that would make the line look a lot better too. Solomon would obviously be the much more important piece but Garland could provide some good depth at 300lbs.

Also, forgot Blakely. So without Gooden and possibly Solomon and Garland, we have the following:

270-290lb role
Butler 285
Mincy 271
Bumphus 273
Blakley 284

300-310lb role
Middleton 311
Savion 304
Kingston 306
Emerson 309

That IMO has the potential to be a pretty solid 9 man rotation. Most of the guys in the 300lb role seem to have the versatility to play either the NT or DE role in a 3 man front or either DT role in a 4 man front. And most of the smaller guys seem like they could easily slide between 3 or 4 man fronts. If Solomon gets cleared and/or Garland comes back, that's 1 or 2 more in the bigger role that would make the line look a lot better too. Solomon would obviously be the much more important piece but Garland could provide some good depth at 300lbs.
good stuff. liking the way you think.

now.....going to say a little prayer that none of them get hurt the rest of the year....and that AS gets his waiver.

270-290lb role
Butler 285
Mincy 271
Bumphus 273
Blakley 284

300-310lb role
Middleton 311
Savion 304
Kingston 306
Emerson 309

This is where my head is at. And I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Bumphus could be sneaky good. Four star recruit, got offers from all the big boys for the DE role and Butch wasted him at TE. But while in that room I’m sure he’s gotten faster, and he’s got the size at 6’3 275

This is where my head is at. And I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Bumphus could be sneaky good. Four star recruit, got offers from all the big boys for the DE role and Butch wasted him at TE. But while in that room I’m sure he’s gotten faster, and he’s got the size at 6’3 275
I remember Fulmer saying good things about him back in the recruiting days. I wondered why he was getting janked around. Then I found out, Jones.

With a staff this competent, I fully expect surprises.

Good ones, this time.

It's football and injuries happen. Now do we focus on injury or the DT that will fit in that position. I say CP and DL staff will work overtime in preparing his replacement. Coaches face it everyday. I mean how would you like to be UF right now with all their problems. Just some counseling for those in the panic room. :D

I remember Fulmer saying good things about him back in the recruiting days. I wondered why he was getting janked around. Then I found out, Jones.

With a staff this competent, I fully expect surprises.

Good ones, this time
agreed. that'd be a nice change of pace.............

Gooden punched a rough ticket. I looked forward to seeing him play this year, but will just have to wish him the best with his procedures and rehab. Still think he has a good future.

On paper we look thin, that said several of these kids are more impressive physically than they’ve been at any point before. We may be surprised pleasantly. No idea what we’re going to get but we’re getting bigger in the trenches and I believe that will have us in better shape in this conference.

Atleast someone has a good understanding of where we are at. It's not all doom and gloom on the DL. Sure depth could be better as well as experience but I think they're in better shape then they were last year. Emitt Gooden was a bright piece that has been tooken away but the early news coming from practice so far is encouraging. I know Pruitt like you said is very versatile, we may be in the base 3-4 roughly 50 percent of the time on defensive snaps as it is.

Atleast someone has a good understanding of where we are at. It's not all doom and gloom on the DL. Sure depth could be better as well as experience but I think they're in better shape then they were last year. Emitt Gooden was a bright piece that has been tooken away but the early news coming from practice so far is encouraging. I know Pruitt like you said is very versatile, we may be in the base 3-4 roughly 50 percent of the time on defensive snaps as it is.
Yeah I'm actually pretty excited about this line. I think it's better than last year.

Best part of bumping these old threads is reading thru like 3 coaching turnovers and the Rollercoaster ride of fan expectations

Yep. The saltier among us don't get overly excited about a marginal season because, well, we've seen it before.

"[Insert any coach's name here starting with Dooley] has done a great job in Year 1! He is having to fight off the locker room rot from [Insert coach directly before referenced one] and program instability! He'll get recruiting on track and get this ship righted!"

However, IMO, I will say that I haven't noticed the seeming quality in coaching since 2009. Yes, that coach.

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back