Checker Neyland BYU

Only looks good with a full house and few visitors in other colors.
So, we need a sellout against an OOC team or SEC team that brings fewer than 5000.
Agreed. There were a bunch of Sooner fans the first time, Georgia had a lot too. The two times we did it against Florida were the best. Not sure how many Mormons will be there.

I LOVE checker Neyland and think it should be a permanent one-time per year tradition. Personally I think we should do it on a 3 game rotation each year, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I would do it at one of these 3 games each year, depending on who we are playing at home.

Reactions: Voluntar
Agree a full house is key. And sadly, I'm not sure we'll have a truly full house this season.[/QUOTE]
To me that's why it makes sense to do it the first game of the season. IF we lose a game or two, we start losing fans.

Probably will get crucified for this but for everything Butch lacked in coaching he made up for in pushing for “fan/player friendly” experiences. Third down for what... can’t here the song now without getting a little fired up for the vols, checker Neyland was epic, uniforms (personally loved them, hate the old school black cleat bs), enjoyed the motivational tactics (although they became worn out near the end).
I sort like the black cleats and I think "third down for what" once per game would be acceptable.

Reactions: Voltopia
I'd be OK with CheckerNeyland for BYU. Normally, I would want to save it for a conference game or team like Oklahoma. But this is the first ever game in a series and with a team that does have some history, albeit 35 years ago. And as far as Vol fans wearing orange in a white section, not as many do as I thought might. When the stadium is checkered, it is a truly awesome sight. Also, I think it increases the noise level in general, notwithstanding the Georgia debacle. I bought a white shirt just for the occasion to be part of the visual. Otherwise, I'm decked in orange and have been for the last 51 years.

Probably will get crucified for this but for everything Butch lacked in coaching he made up for in pushing for “fan/player friendly” experiences. Third down for what... can’t here the song now without getting a little fired up for the vols, checker Neyland was epic, uniforms (personally loved them, hate the old school black cleat bs), enjoyed the motivational tactics (although they became worn out near the end).

3rd down for what is lame

Florida is a dumpster fire right now.

Tennessee has a very good chance of being undefeated going into a home game against Georgia.

Checker Neyland was invented by the fans, so let’s own it as fans.

My vote if Tennessee is undefeated after Florida, let’s checker that bad boy for the pups.

I'd say Vandy but it's the end of the year and who knows if that game will be big at that point.
I am feeling so pumped of what I see and hear BUT never again will I count my chickens before they’ve hatched....waiting to see where we are going into gaturd week !

Man isn’t it crazy how something like the cleats can be loved by some while hated by others, can’t please everyone.... glad you enjoy them though, soak it in!
It is crazy.

Many years ago black tennis shoes became really popular for servers at restaurants because they didn't show dirt and grease like white did, but we're more comfortable than brown or black dress shoes, obviously. But I never liked them because I thought they looked like football cleats. Lol, now some people don't like the black cleats because they look like servers shoes.

*Not saying you are one of those that don't like them because they look like servers shoes, but I saw someone mention that before and your post reminded me of it.

Reactions: goooooovols
I know it's been brought up many times, but let's do it again. It looks awesome in person and on TV. There is not anything negative about it. Fans, players, and recruits love it. It's not A Butch thing; fans organized it. Let's bring it back once a year. My vote goes for Sept 7th, night game on ESPN vs BYU!
Go Vols! Let's do it.
I'm with you but ONLY if we bring back the Garbage Can......yeaaaaah baby. GBO!!

I LOVE checker Neyland and think it should be a permanent one-time per year tradition. Personally I think we should do it on a 3 game rotation each year, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I would do it at one of these 3 games each year, depending on who we are playing at home.
That means it will happen against Georgia every 2 years

I wouldn't give Butch too much credit. I'm sure there were people behind the scenes who made it all happen. The grays were awesome, but we're worn too much. Once a year or every other year is fine. One year they wore them vs Vandy on senior day and another time in a bowl game. Third Down for What was sweet in the beginning, but was played too many times for too long.

The problem that happened with "Third down for what" was that it made it apparent after a while how many times our D gave it up on third down like one of Lil' Jon's hoes.

Reactions: Andy Pulley
Would like to see a white out game with UT in white jerseys and orange pants early in the season. Then an orange out later in the season.

VN Store

Back