Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald Nails The Attendance Problem

I actually think he got it totally wrong.

Large flat screen TVs and a reprioritization of how people spent money after the recession are the culprits, imo.

I actually think he got it totally wrong.

Large flat screen TVs and a reprioritization of how people spent money after the recession are the culprits, imo.

He’s not completely wrong.

There’s definitely a trend of students showing up late or not showing up at all.

I feel like I have a better understanding of what is happening when I watch games on TV vs in person. I enjoy the replays, discussion of the commentators (sometimes) and the stat lines they show.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I feel like I have a better understanding of what is happening when I watch games on TV vs in person. I enjoy the replays, discussion of the commentators (sometimes) and the stat lines they show.
You definitely go to football games for "the experience," not because it is easier to follow the game. Some sports (baseball, hockey) are better in person in terms of following the game. Football is not.

Reactions: Volunteer08
He’s not completely wrong.

There’s definitely a trend of students showing up late or not showing up at all.
Do students show up late or not at all because of smartphones though?

Generally speaking, the experience of watching the game from home has been made too comfortable and too convenient. That's because of cheap 55-inch HDTVs and cable packages that show every single game, not because of smartphones.

It wasn't all that long ago (pre-SEC Network days, prior to 2014) that if you wanted to watch the creampuff game it cost you $49.99 on pay-per-view or it would be on Jefferson Pilot Sports in standard definition with about 3 different cameras and a horrible commentating crew.

Do students show up late or not at all because of smartphones though?

Generally speaking, the experience of watching the game from home has been made too comfortable and too convenient. That's because of cheap 55-inch HDTVs and cable packages that show every single game, not because of smartphones.

It wasn't all that long ago (pre-SEC Network days, prior to 2014) that if you wanted to watch the creampuff game it cost you $49.99 on pay-per-view or it would be on Jefferson Pilot Sports in standard definition with about 3 different cameras and a horrible commentating crew.

Yep, that's why I say the leagues have helped create the problem they are complaining about. You guys signed billion dollar contracts to get all your games on TV in HD and we the customers are paying for it. And now you're complaining we're at home watching the games instead of being there?

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yep, that's why I say the leagues have helped create the problem they are complaining about. You guys signed billion dollar contracts to get all your games on TV in HD and we the customers are paying for it. And now you're complaining we're at home watching the games instead of being there?
Well said. I think they underestimated the degree to which dyed-in-the-wool fans (season ticket holders/people who historically have attended a lot of games, tailgaters, etc.) would see the convenience of staying at home.

If you want to closely follow the game and be comfortable (which, let's face it, is a really nice proposition) it's actually better to just stay at home.

VN Store

Back