'19 GA WR Jerrod Means (Pitt signee)

From my VERY limited experience that it’s not a total waste moving postions from offense to defense or vice versa. Whenever you play a position you learn yourself so for WR it would be your getoff, your stems, your technique (feet and hands), your breakdowns, your restarts, bends on your routes, correct depths and correct steps, etc....
Then you learn your opponent coverages, techniques, their “tells” and yours, position maintenance... there is a lot lol.
Then the greats understand the whole offense and at least the whole secondary (react and respond) this guy goes here and so that means that guy has to go there etc...

So in a very long comment to make a simple point you play on the other side of the ball and know what they are trying to do to you and how to bait them...

P.S. that is why the best DB’s use to play on offense in HS....

Eric Berry was a QB/RB as well as a safety in HS

You look at Alontae Taylor, Bryce Thompson and they both have something in common. Recruited to play WR because of their explosive ability.
From a purely athletic standpoint, any CB can play WR. But not every WR can play CB.

If you find a kid that's 6'2 205 and runs 4.4 with a multi-positional history, then you want to see if he can play CB.
Instincts are huge at CB. If the kid doesn't have that, then expect him back at WR. He will help us either way.

So far Bryce Thompson and Alontae Taylor are strokes of genius. If he pulls this off with Means as well...imagine the recruiting pitch!

Yeah, it's definitely something I'm split on and in a way, so is Pruitt, if you go by his own words.

"You try to get your best 22 on the field"

And

"The best way to get better at something, is repetition. The more times these guys take snaps at their positions, that's how they get better"

Might even be case by case, but definitely not black and white. Well, for me anyways.
Maybe because we don't have depth yet he's forced to do things he would rather not do.

Reactions: chargervol
A 6'2" 205lb freshman corner with 4.4 speed is a scary prospect. Especially if he can press an jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. If he was looking like a definite redshirt at WR then it doesn't hurt to experiment early in camp. If it works out, it gives the defense some versatility that we don't currently have.
But now we're talking DB attributes...how fast is his backpedal 40'? What's his hip fluidity rating?

That was Star. I’d put several options in front of a true freshman.

I could see him easily filling the star slot or the safety spot. Can you imagine a guy Means size blitzing running a 4.4.... yet still athletic enough to cover a speed WR if need be? Good combo. Hope he does well no matter where they put him.

Not coming at you but with the new rules on targeting we may need twice as many in the defense secondary. Think there will be a lot of suspensions this year for everyone.
Bring it. They find a spot for him and KEEP him there? This whole conversation is moot. They Maliek Gray him his whole career? It’s not.

Yeah, probably not black and white. This was Chaney speaking yesterday about finding the right guys for the offensive line:

The point Chaney seemed to be making is you don't want to sacrifice competition just for the sake of continuity but it shouldn't take the entire camp for you to figure out who your best players are and I presume that would apply to just about every position. jmo.
Yeah, I'm with you on the time and that's why I stay split even with all the good reasoning folks are bringing

If I had my way, every FB player would have a working knowledge of every position. But college limits the on field coaching so much, every snap becomes extremely valuable.

I'm definitely in the case by case camp even though it might differ from our coaches on occasion. Not worried about Means because he has plenty of time and WR is good right now. But I do think butchna's examples were fair.

With such short camps, it's a tightrope for the coaches. I'd bet they would tell you the same and doubt any of them always get it right.

Bring it. They find a spot for him and KEEP him there? This whole conversation is moot. They Maliek Gray him his whole career? It’s not.
That's where it really matters. Move them to find their spot. Move them to teach them things that will help but do find that spot and let them master it. Don't make it a career thing.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Very well could be, we'll just hope not. And if he has trouble catching the ball well defense will be his only chance. Reference to what one poster said I haven't heard that from any other sources.

Maybe because we don't have depth yet he's forced to do things he would rather not do.
I think it's also possible Means is just too talented to have on the bench. Actually hoping 😁

But like I said, I have zero concerns in this case, plenty of time.
Just overall, experiment with them some, teach them helpful things, then find their place, let them master it.

VN Store

Back