Asheville?

Roustabout

Is it really that great?
Recently I’ve talked to several people who regularly go to Asheville. I’m talking at least once a month.

What’s the big deal?

Is it really that great?
Recently I’ve talked to several people who regularly go to Asheville. I’m talking at least once a month.

What’s the big deal?
Was there just a few weeks ago and really like it. Lots of places to eat. Lots of craft beer. I would recommend it but you’ll have to check it out and decide for yourself.

Is it really that great?

What’s the big deal?

The only reason I'm in Trashville instead of Asheville is our six yo granddaughter lives nearby.
Rush hour means having to slow down to the speed limit. Great restaurants all over town.
Excellent medical care. Average temps are 4-5 degrees cooler. Plenty of entertainment without the horrible traffic and parking (not as much entertainment as Trashville).
Downside: Even more expensive to live there than the Music City. Only 1-2% though.

I'm only there 2-3 days monthly. My extended family loves living there.

Reactions: VolNExile
Is it really that great?

What’s the big deal?
Do you like craft beer at all? If so, you have to go. It's a food/drink and outdoor town. I don't think I'd live there (although I am from and live in Chattanooga, which I like and has quite a bit in common with Asheville) or visit once a month, but I do like visiting once a year or something like that.

Despite its reputation (liberal/hippie, and that rep is deserved) there really is something there for lots of different types of people. Food/drink are really good, outdoorsy, live music, lots of quaint bed and breakfasts but you can also go luxury and stay somewhere like at that Grove Park Inn, there are lots of little shops/boutique-type stories, etc.

Last edited:
Good music scene, good beer. Don't know that I'd live there but we go for a show every few months.

You could probably eat dinner somewhere different every night for a month and not be disappointed. Craft beer and music, galore. A few fantastic places to stay (rec: Grove Park, Windsor, Grand Bohemian, but all are quite expensive). The spa at Grove Park is world-class and the best I've ever been to. Cool shops, fun to walk around, eclectic population. Then, of course, you are right in the middle of the mountains, so pick your pleasure: hiking, fishing, rafting, mountain biking, golf, etc.

I would also highly recommend a visit to Black Mountain, about 15 minutes East of Asheville.

Last edited:
Asheville sucks. We went last year. We’re not really drinkers so unless you’re into the microbrewery scene, you’ll have nothing to do.

That being said, the Omni Grove Park Inn is the coolest place there. It’s a hotel that is basically it’s own vacation resort. If for any reason we ever go back to Asheville, it will be to stay there.

Reactions: davethevol
lol

We live here and love it. Being in the mountains really does improve the weather. Lots of good/small: restaurants, bars, music venues, neighborhoods. Great for gardening. Good medical care, although we are nervous about the man hospital group being bought by HCA.

I hate IPAs and hoppy beers, so I am grimly awaiting the local breweries to catch up.

@Go aeiou ”Rush hour means having to slow down to the speed limit” - exactly! Unless I’m headed downtown (tiny streets filled with tourists), I can get most places in10 - 20 minutes, including from West Asheville to East Asheville.

We have no plans to ever move again.

I like Asheville. Nice town, lots of good food. Great shows come there often and the mountains are fantastic (for east coast). We go about once a year and always have fun

Reactions: volwindy
My wife wants to move to NC in about 5 years when we are both retired. Her sister plans to move to Greensboro. I went to NC State a long time ago but every time I go back to Raleigh, the traffic is worse and worse. I don't know much about Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem so any thoughts about those places for retirees would be appreciated. For some reason, Asheville doesn't appeal to me - I love the mountains but it seems a little too small for me.

My wife wants to move to NC in about 5 years when we are both retired. Her sister plans to move to Greensboro. I went to NC State a long time ago but every time I go back to Raleigh, the traffic is worse and worse. I don't know much about Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem so any thoughts about those places for retirees would be appreciated. For some reason, Asheville doesn't appeal to me - I love the mountains but it seems a little too small for me.

Highlands seems a very good retirement location. It's not a large city, though, by any means.

Good restaurants. You'll probably have to step over some bums to get into one. I would guess more drug addicts per capita than any city you've ever been to. Lively concert/art scene.

Asheville sucks. We went last year. We’re not really drinkers so unless you’re into the microbrewery scene, you’ll have nothing to do.

That being said, the Omni Grove Park Inn is the coolest place there. It’s a hotel that is basically it’s own vacation resort. If for any reason we ever go back to Asheville, it will be to stay there.

no it isnt, lol. you need to get out more.

Beautiful. I am like you - as retirees, we need to be closer to hospitals, and a major airport so I am looking at more urban areas.

Yep, We have three docs in the family, and they all say the best health care is in the larger cities. Adjoining counties to Nashville also have good health care, and they will transfer you to Nashville for any thing major.
We live 15 minutes from BNA, and it is nice to have direct flights to most cities in the US and several abroad. 8 hours from Nashville to London next spring.
Asheville is my first choice of places to live. Cooler weather. Excellent restaurants. Good entertainment. Good health care. Almost no traffic. That will likely change in the next 10-20 years though.
The one bad thing is a state income tax, 6%. But sales tax is lower than TN.
We stay in Nashville because that is where our granddaughter is.

lol

We live here and love it. Being in the mountains really does improve the weather. Lots of good/small: restaurants, bars, music venues, neighborhoods. Great for gardening. Good medical care, although we are nervous about the man hospital group being bought by HCA.

I hate IPAs and hoppy beers, so I am grimly awaiting the local breweries to catch up.

@Go aeiou ”Rush hour means having to slow down to the speed limit” - exactly! Unless I’m headed downtown (tiny streets filled with tourists), I can get most places in10 - 20 minutes, including from West Asheville to East Asheville.

We have no plans to ever move again.

I had quadruple bypass surgery at Centennial Heart (HCA) 5 months ago. Excellent care and top notch cardiologist. The hospital there might improve.
But just like everywhere these days the corporate structure might be a pain to everyone. Employees and patients, although billing and care have gone smoothly for me.

VN Store

Back