Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

I think the general feeling is that we get closer and closer to signing day and we are falling further and further in the rankings. The latest decommitment is just adding to the frustration, that apparently even Pruitt is feeling. It doesnt feel like progress and really the whole "wait and see" almost never works out. As in nearly never in any circumstance in life football or otherwise. If you go to Vegas to place a bet on the over/under on UT landing 3 or 4 top 100 players in the next 4 months and ending up with a class in the top 10, my guess is Vegas would be happy to take your money on those odds. This will be even more true if Pruitt cannot produce an overwhelmingly undeniable record in the 2019 season.
Pretty much it. We've been saying for months that we'll have to show some improvement on the field to have a great class. As we approach the season, that axiom appears accurate. Couple it with the heretical, but likely, fact that we just won't be very good again and there's good reason for the smart money to think we're screwed, again.

Reactions: 08Vol
I'm speaking specifically about this recruiting cycle. Not Pruitts future potential. the people who have thought this whole off season that Pruitt has this grand plan and that our sub 25 recruiting ranking was a false signal and that they were gonna have this epic finish to the recruiting cycle is specifically what I'm talking about.
ok, but i'm not sure any of that really matters. he has little control over what the recruit decides to do about coming to a decision, when or how.

i think the staff has a strategy...and part of it is a)battling the negative recruiting that's going on, which leads to b) having more of a soft sell...just don't tell us "no" yet, let us show you, this is what we're about.

and if there's any good news, it's that many of them are continuing to listen, and keeping us in their top "whatever" lists....many are still uncommitted, and will be at least well in to the season if not until after it.

we don't have much of a choice but to play the long game. sure, they're kids out there we could have taken already and we'd be further up the ranking board............for now.

all that matters is how it finishes. and this year, i do believe how we finish on the field, will dicatate in a lot of ways how we finish on the trail.

this program has everything a kid needs to be successful as a CFB player, a student and a path to the NFL. the only thing we don't have compared to to the top programs is the W's. and you go down the line and check some of those top 100 players and you see TN in top 5's, top 8's or whatever alongside aTm, Bama, GA, Clemson, LSU....etc...and we're the only program on those kids' lists that has only won 9 games in two years.

this staff is doing work. we just have to find a way to close the deal, and for now, the best way to do that is to put something ont he field that looks like we belong on all those lists. that doesnt' mean we have to go out and win 9+ games.

it does mean we better look a whole lot different than we did last year, and when we have opportunities to grab W's......we better start getting them.

Reactions: Woke and Remy
You insulted the guy who worships the coach he’s sworn to defend. Alliance deal...that’s how World War I got started. 😏

I've actually got a headache from trying to figure this out. Gator boy butthurt cause he's over here talking chit about my coach and has nothing to do with his sorry Ass team or coach and I call him a troll. Lol, nutt up kid.

AND, fade coming to his rescue.. Again, again. Geez.

Reactions: butchna
I've kind of been expecting this. Recruiting (this class) is very weak as of right now, and with the coaches we have, it should be better regardless of what happened last year or in year's past.
so there's no legitimate reason why our staff wouldn't be able to get the kids, today, that GA, Bama, Clemson, LSU are getting...understanding that they've actually already done that in last year's class, of course.
where would this class need to be ranked on July 29th to meet your expectation or make you happy? lol.

Reactions: Behr
this post is so..........
giphy.gif
What's hard to understand about it?

Saban didn't arrive in Tuscaloosa, recruit 4 consecutive #1 classes in a row while going 5-7, then win a title after a number of years. He came in and had major success by year 2, which gets all the recruits really looking at him. Dabo didn't start recruiting at an elite level as soon as he got to Clemson. He's only recruited great since he started appearing in CFPs. The big time recruiting tends to follow the success, not be a leading indicator of it.

IMO, you have to give recruits some reason to look at your first (i.e., win at a level people don't expect, or appear to be rebuilding the program faster than anticipated), then the recruiting follows. Pruitt needs to overachieve with these guys he has now, and then these top 5 recruiting classes everyone wants will come.

I mean, I wonder if this is talked about among the college coaches. University of Tennessee, a coach’s financial dream. Come and get paid the big bucks because well, you know, it’s Tennessee and they don’t have a choice. Make big money, produce mediocre results, don’t work too hard, stay 5 years and be set for life.

Reactions: 08Vol and KINGSVOL
Tennessee football: Four-star safety Antonio Johnson’s decommitment shouldn’t worry Vols

this is a good article. Losing a four star sucks, but we are kinda loaded at safety and CJP always finds DBs, especially safeties .

I dare be pragmatic and say maybe we have another positions that could use another body. The trenches come to mind.

It is also the last week of July, so there is a little runway left.

a wise man once said "just worry bout the ones you git, not the ones ya dont".
It's in us Volnation, but just once hide your inner chicken little.

Saban didn't arrive in Tuscaloosa, recruit 4 consecutive #1 classes in a row while going 5-7, then win a title after a number of years. He came in and had major success by year 2, which gets all the recruits really looking at him. Dabo didn't start recruiting at an elite level as soon as he got to Clemson. He's only recruited great since he started appearing in CFPs. The big time recruiting tends to follow the success, not be a leading indicator of it.

IMO, you have to give recruits some reason to look at your first (i.e., win at a level people don't expect, or appear to be rebuilding the program faster than anticipated), then the recruiting follows. Pruitt needs to overachieve with these guys he has now, and then these top 5 recruiting classes everyone wants will come.
that makes more sense than the other post.

to me it's real simple. this just isn't going to happen as fast as some people think it should. there is no program saving class on the horizon that's goign to have us competing for conf titles next year.

we're gonna have develop and build it up. once we get it back, at least to that 2nd tier, then it'll be up to the recruiting to put us on level ground with bama, ga, etc....

that first post sounded a lot like you were saying "well saban did it, Stoops did it, so and so did it in year 2, so we should too" like the situations were comparable.

Reactions: BeecherVol
Maybe I'm a softie, but given that Pruitt is a first time head coach taking over a program after an embarrassing coaching search that went 4-8 (0-8) the previous season and hasn't finished in the top 15 since 2007, the #12 class overall isn't that bad. These kids he's trying to convince to come to Tennessee have never personally seen a Tennessee program that was relevant. The 2019 class was still 7th in the SEC, but it would have been 2nd in the ACC, 3rd in the Big 12, 2nd in the Big Ten, and 2nd in the Pac 12. It was in the same ballpark as Florida and Clemson, was basically equivalent to Auburn (0.01 points less than Auburn's composite score), and was better than Penn St, Ohio St, and Notre Dame (who was coming off a CFP appearance). All things considered, it wasn't bad at all. Does it need to be even better eventually? Probably.

I'm addressing our current rank of #33, not how we did last year. I think that's causing the distress.

Reactions: vettefool
that makes more sense than the other post.

to me it's real simple. this just isn't going to happen as fast as some people think it should. there is no program saving class on the horizon that's goign to have us competing for conf titles next year.

we're gonna have develop and build it up. once we get it back, at least to that 2nd tier, then it'll be up to the recruiting to put us on level ground with bama, ga, etc....

that first post sounded a lot like you were saying "well saban did it, Stoops did it, so and so did it in year 2, so we should too" like the situations were comparable.
Not what I meant - my point is that regardless of the situation, the coach in question appeared to deliver sooner than people thought. In other words, they didn't have to recruit well for a number of years before having a lot of success. For Saban at Alabama, that meant he played for an SEC title in year 2. For Pruitt at Tennessee, that might mean we win 7 games this year and 9 in 2020. You have to show these recruits something, then they commit...a lot of people believe it is the other way around.

I think that if Pruitt is "the guy," he'll overachieve with these guys he has now, which will lead to these better recruiting classes people want, which then leads to more winning. That's a big ask of Pruitt to come in and recruit at some elite level immediately. While I think most of VN was happy with 2019 recruiting, there were some grumblings on here that 7th in the SEC isn't good enough, or that we need more 5-stars. There's no real basis for anything better than that to be the baseline expectation though, given our previous results.

Tennessee football: Four-star safety Antonio Johnson’s decommitment shouldn’t worry Vols

this is a good article. Losing a four star sucks, but we are kinda loaded at safety and CJP always finds DBs, especially safeties .

I dare be pragmatic and say maybe we have another positions that could use another body. The trenches come to mind.

It is also the last week of July, so there is a little runway left.

a wise man once said "just worry bout the ones you git, not the ones ya dont".
It's in us Volnation, but just once hide your inner chicken little.
Think of all we could have avoided if you'd posted this a few hours ago. You do not get to pet the orange dog today.

Not what I meant - my point is that regardless of the situation, the coach in question appeared to deliver sooner than people thought. In other words, they didn't have to recruit well for a number of years before having a lot of success. For Saban at Alabama, that meant he played for an SEC title in year 2. For Pruitt at Tennessee, that might mean we win 7 games this year and 9 in 2020. You have to show these recruits something, then they commit...a lot of people believe it is the other way around.

I think that if Pruitt is "the guy," he'll overachieve with these guys he has now, which will lead to these better recruiting classes people want, which then leads to more winning. That's a big ask of Pruitt to come in and recruit at some elite level immediately. While I think most of VN was happy with 2019 recruiting, there were some grumblings on here that 7th in the SEC isn't good enough, or that we need more 5-stars. There's no real basis for anything better than that to be the baseline expectation though, given our previous results.
no, no, i get that. and basically agree. we need to do more with less. what that means, that's where it gets a little gray for most.

i'd just leave it at this...if we find ourselves in position to win a game we're not supposed to..........we'd do well to go ahead and win it.

Interesting view... and it's interesting to hear other fan's opinions of us. A buddy of mine is a Clemson fan, and a couple weeks ago, can't remember who the kid was, but we were in the top 2-3 for him and he chose another team...we weren't predicted to land him. His comment was that he's seeing where we're in the top 4-5 for alot of top tier players, and just not getting as many as we'd like...but we're in the mix...and said that was kinda like Clemson, where they were before they broke through. For a team who has had the performance on the field, I feel we're doing pretty well. It just feels different than with Dooley or Butch...these assistants know what they're doing, and think Pruitt does too.

I may be wrong but TOS means the other site meaning UT fans, so this would be our fans opinions just not Volnation

I'm addressing our current rank of #33, not how we did last year. I think that's causing the distress.
What were we this time last year? Something like the mid 20s?

Florida was in the 30s, maybe even the 40s, this time last year. There was outright glee in the Around the NCAA forum about it. They closed 9th.

I may be wrong but TOS means the other site meaning UT fans, so this would be our fans opinions just not Volnation
I know, but just thought I'd throw in some other meaningless opinions, which, in this case was a positive about their perceptions of UT for the future.

What's hard to understand about it?...there's a difference between the number 1 class in the country and #33.

People trying to blame the past and give Pruitt a free skate. Before we hired Pruitt, Cade Mayes flat out said he'd go to UTK if Gruden was hired. Maybe Gruden was never happening, maybe it was a fleeting fancy that was quickly extinguished in his own mind but not before an off the record discussion got repeated and embellished to the point that it started an inferno in the interwebz. You want quick turnarounds you have to hire a rock star that recruits will flock to. There are guys like that out there. We just didn't offer enough because UTAD thinks we'll buy anything, a belief that they're probably rethinking in light of dismal ticket sales and donations. Whatever it takes, CJP is on the clock and time is running out.
When the team has won 10 or more games back-to-back I will "buy" Pruitt. Just sending a shout-out to the ticket office/alumni fund/money collectors if anyone's monitoring this. Anything less is garbage entertainment.

Reactions: 08Vol
Antonio Johnson. Highest rated commit. 4* safety. He runs a 5.15 second 40 though, so I am not sure how he is rated that highly.

A 5.15 40??? Can that be correct? That is considered a turtle these days. If true, Schwartz at Auburn will have a heyday against him.

Threads about how disappointing our “supposed elite recruiters” have been.
Everyone but Niedermeyer getting criticized.
Saying that many came from big successful programs that had strong in state bases and were easy to recruit to. Some saying Pruitt is really pissed off right now.
Do they have a point or is the latest decommit just bringing out the usual negavols.
Look Tennessee has been down for a long time. Kids want to go to a winning program. Pruitt and his coaches will get us there. So i think our coaches are doing a good job at getting kids to buy in. You will see when we do start winning again. The kids will all want to come to Tennessee.

Look Tennessee has been down for a long time. Kids want to go to a winning program. Pruitt and his coaches will get us there. So i think our coaches are doing a good job at getting kids to buy in. You will see when we do start winning again. The kids will all want to come to Tennessee.
Just hope I’m still alive and still able to go to the toilet by myself.

VN Store

Back