Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

that's not true.
a) i don't know that Brown is past his prime. he's old, and he went back to a familiar home to see if he could build UNC back up. he may be in the perfect spot for him to prove his chops. the expectation level there is wholly different than at TX and the people love him there.
b) no one has any misconceptions on how we got Jeremy pruitt. it wasn't like he was mulling over offers from 3-4 other programs when he decided to come here, it was a unfathomable set of circumstances that put him on the top of our 2nd list.

everyone here knows these things, so there's only one intention with a post like that.

My post was responding to the assertion that EVERYONE would take Pruitt over Mack Brown. My thought is that neither would be the first choice for a lot of teams based off the reasons I stated.

You and Behr got your noses out of joint over that, you didn’t disagree with the message, just the messenger.

Reactions: coffeecountyvol
for the record, as for the original topic regarding the coaches and whehter or not we suck......it's freaking july and we had a kid decommit....a safety none of us even heard of until he committed here in the first place. he even said in his committment deal that he was going to keep looking and taking visits. he committed to get more eyes on him. it worked. and he's a safety, one position im not even remotely worried about with our HC and DC.

as for rankings etc....it simply doesn't matter in july. the vast majority of the higher rated prospects we're in on aren't committing until the fall or on one of the signing days. so a lot of those guys are going to pay attention to what happens this season and see if there's any substance the pitch. if there is, i'd expect us to close strong again. if there isn't, well, we know what that looks like and how it ends.

either way, anyone expecting top 5 classes and instant championship were just plain mistaken. this was/is going to be a slower rebuild, and will come from development of the guys they bring in with contributions from the blue chips they do get in here.

so get to the end of year 4 and see what it looks like.

your other choice...fire this guy and this all star staff he's hired, and start over...............AGAIN. lol.

fall practice for year 2 starts this week. some folks need to just relax.

cause either way, good or bad, it will literally take care of itself......

I’ll send that link when you send me the link stating Pruitt is a proven head coach.

Yeah you get a null value error with that statement. He's only ever been a head coach one season and barely survived that one. though any fault or no fault of his own, it matters not. He cant be called a proven head coach. A proven DC, yes. Head coach, not applicable.

Reactions: Jaws
My post was responding to the assertion that EVERYONE would take Pruitt over Mack Brown. My thought is that neither would be the first choice for a lot of teams based off the reasons I stated.

You and Behr got your noses out of joint over that, you didn’t disagree with the message, just the messenger.
no s**t?

i thought MB was on top of everyone's board, surprised FL and TN didn't go after him a couple years ago...he was available then too....lol

and i've already said what i thought about Pruitt and his options as a HC.

basically you're playing captain obvious, badly.

Reactions: Behr

Blah blah blah, my nose is right where UT's supposed to be. Lol, why does that bother you? I'm a Vol fan, if you come here and talk chit about my coach whether it's true or not, you better expext me to call you out on it, I sure as hell don't expect Fade to.

Reactions: Bret178 and butchna
Yeah you get a null value error with that statement. He's only ever been a head coach one season and barely survived that one. though any fault or no fault of his own, it matters not. He cant be called a proven head coach. A proven DC, yes. Head coach, not applicable.
and to that, i say again.....no s**t.

y'all spinning this like there's folks out there saying he should be called something he's not.

for the record, as for the original topic regarding the coaches and whehter or not we suck......it's freaking july and we had a kid decommit....a safety none of us even heard of until he committed here in the first place. he even said in his committment deal that he was going to keep looking and taking visits. he committed to get more eyes on him. it worked. and he's a safety, one position im not even remotely worried about with our HC and DC.

as for rankings etc....it simply doesn't matter in july. the vast majority of the higher rated prospects we're in on aren't committing until the fall or on one of the signing days. so a lot of those guys are going to pay attention to what happens this season and see if there's any substance the pitch. if there is, i'd expect us to close strong again. if there isn't, well, we know what that looks like and how it ends.

either way, anyone expecting top 5 classes and instant championship were just plain mistaken. this was/is going to be a slower rebuild, and will come from development of the guys they bring in with contributions from the blue chips they do get in here.

so get to the end of year 4 and see what it looks like.

your other choice...fire this guy and this all star staff he's hired, and start over...............AGAIN. lol.

fall practice for year 2 starts this week. some folks need to just relax.

cause either way, good or bad, it will literally take care of itself......

I think the general feeling is that we get closer and closer to signing day and we are falling further and further in the rankings. The latest decommitment is just adding to the frustration, that apparently even Pruitt is feeling. It doesnt feel like progress and really the whole "wait and see" almost never works out. As in nearly never in any circumstance in life football or otherwise. If you go to Vegas to place a bet on the over/under on UT landing 3 or 4 top 100 players in the next 4 months and ending up with a class in the top 10, my guess is Vegas would be happy to take your money on those odds. This will be even more true if Pruitt cannot produce an overwhelmingly undeniable record in the 2019 season.

lol. i happens.

I don't hold it against you, I can tell you were just trying to be nice. I've explained my feelings about Pruitt several times to other Vol fans. I won't to him, I don't care what he thinks. Lol.

Blah blah blah, my nose is right where UT's supposed to be. Lol, why does that bother you? I'm a Vol fan, if you come here and talk chit about my coach whether it's true or not, you better expext me to call you out on it, I sure as hell don't expect Fade to.

I can and do respect that. The good thing is, we’ll get some answers on how Brown and Pruitt and many others are progressing very soon.

I think the general feeling is that we get closer and closer to signing day and we are falling further and further in the rankings. The latest decommitment is just adding to the frustration, that apparently even Pruitt is feeling. It doesnt feel like progress and really the whole "wait and see" almost never works out. As in nearly never in any circumstance in life football or otherwise. If you go to Vegas to place a bet on the over/under on UT landing 3 or 4 top 100 players in the next 4 months and ending up with a class in the top 10, my guess is Vegas would be happy to take your money on those odds. This will be even more true if Pruitt cannot produce an overwhelmingly undeniable record in the 2019 season.
so the wait and see almost never works, unless we lose?

so our choices are .....we win this season, we still lose cause wait and see never works. or.........we lose on the field, and we lose on the trail.

so.....lose.......or.......lorse...either way....we lose.

man, this game sucks.

I’ve heard this every time we hire a coach. At some point somebody has to overachieve
i agree. but every situation is different. and the one pruitt inherited is worse than the ones any of his 3 predecessors inherited. this one will take longer. lots of reasons why that could be the case. only a couple, fairly specific ones, where it would not.

so the wait and see almost never works, unless we lose?

so our choices are .....we win this season, we still lose cause wait and see never works. or.........we lose on the field, and we lose on the trail.

so.....lose.......or.......lorse...either way....we lose.

man, this game sucks.

I'm speaking specifically about this recruiting cycle. Not Pruitts future potential. the people who have thought this whole off season that Pruitt has this grand plan and that our sub 25 recruiting ranking was a false signal and that they were gonna have this epic finish to the recruiting cycle is specifically what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 08Vol
Did I miss it somewhere?? Did someone say Pruitt's was a PROVEN Head Coach in this thread?

What you missed is the context of posts. Poster says, paraphrasing “hey, anyone would take Pruitt over Mack Brown.” That’s a provocative post and the obvious counter is “well wait a minute, not so fast, Pruitt is sorta unproven.”

And instead of joining that conversation, you get stuck on the idea that someone is saying Pruitt is proven. Nobody is saying that, and that’s my (and others’) point.

Yep. If recruiting is the egg and winning is the chicken, the chicken comes first. I'm not sure how you take over a dumpster fire program, immediately start pulling top 5 classes, then after a period of years you start winning more games with those better recruits.

The way it happens is that a coach arrives and almost immediately starts winning with the "old" roster at a level greater than people anticipated. The program is then able to parlay that on-the-field success into recruiting successes, which makes the roster better, which leads to more winning (snowball effect).

The following rebuilding jobs are different from Tennessee's, but look at the timing of some of the elite coaches' first win/appearance for some hardware. Urban won a title in year 2. Saban played for an SEC title in year 2. Kirby won an SEC title and played for a national title in year 2. Even Dabo, who a lot of people will say is a perfect example of the virtues of having patience with a coach, won a conference title in his 3rd full season. Bob Stoops won a title in year 2. Point being...these coaches "overachieved" (nobody was really expecting that much success that early) early in their tenures.
this post is so..........
giphy.gif

Maybe I'm a softie, but given that Pruitt is a first time head coach taking over a program after an embarrassing coaching search that went 4-8 (0-8) the previous season and hasn't finished in the top 15 since 2007, the #12 class overall isn't that bad. These kids he's trying to convince to come to Tennessee have never personally seen a Tennessee program that was relevant. The 2019 class was still 7th in the SEC, but it would have been 2nd in the ACC, 3rd in the Big 12, 2nd in the Big Ten, and 2nd in the Pac 12. It was in the same ballpark as Florida and Clemson, was basically equivalent to Auburn (0.01 points less than Auburn's composite score), and was better than Penn St, Ohio St, and Notre Dame (who was coming off a CFP appearance). All things considered, it wasn't bad at all. Does it need to be even better eventually? Probably.

Personally, I think overperformance on the field needs to come first, then that leads to better recruiting, then that leads to even more winning. That's how Dabo did it at Clemson, which is probably the most relevant comparison I can think of. Clemson did not start recruiting at a consistently elite level until Dabo started appearing in CFPs - just look at the 247 Composite, and he still doesn't pull classes rated as highly as Alabama's, Georgia's, or LSU's.

Reactions: Woke and TC 83
What you missed is the context of posts. Poster says, paraphrasing “hey, anyone would take Pruitt over Mack Brown.” That’s a provocative post and the obvious counter is “well wait a minute, not so fast, Pruitt is sorta unproven.”

And instead of joining that conversation, you get stuck on the idea that someone is saying Pruitt is proven. Nobody is saying that, and that’s my (and others’) point.

Here....

There isn't a program in the country that would take Mack Brown over Jeremy Pruitt right now.

But there are many programs who wouldn’t take either. One is past his prime the other is completely unproven as a head coach.

Perfect example of a pos troll.

That's what I saw.

I'm speaking specifically about this recruiting cycle. Not Pruitts future potential. the people who have thought this whole off season that Pruitt has this grand plan and that our sub 25 recruiting ranking was a false signal and that they were gonna have this epic finish to the recruiting cycle is specifically what I'm talking about.
I’ll go with how they finished last year...til they don’t.

Reactions: Remy and HalfullVol

VN Store

Back