Our Assistant Coaches blasted on TOS

Threads about how disappointing our “supposed elite recruiters” have been.
Everyone but Niedermeyer getting criticized.
Saying that many came from big successful programs that had strong in state bases and were easy to recruit to. Some saying Pruitt is really pissed off right now.
Do they have a point or is the latest decommit just bringing out the usual negavols.

Nothing "supposed" about the eliteness of or recruiters but I would be lying if I said I was happy with where we are in the rankings right now. I do notice that we are in the mix for a surprising number of top 100 guys though. Some are undoubtedly going to wait to see how our season goes before pulling the trigger. And Pruitt, like his mentor, probably stays angry.

I believe it is Antonio Johnson, Jimbo bought his mom a house in Texas or something to that effect

LOL!!!

If TN did this to A&M...
Sports Media: "OMG OMG CHEATING CHEATING BAN TN!!"

A&M does this to us...
Same Sports Media: "Shut up.....Racists!"

giphy.gif

Reactions: chuckb1448
People don’t realize what the Schiano fiasco did to the program.
It's the totality of the last 11 years. The coaching search fiasco from November of 2017 is definitely a part of that but not just any one thing has made the Tennessee program so stale. It's an accumulation of things over more than a decade now.

It takes some mental gymnastics to explain away how we finish in the top 10 last year, and can't catch a break now.

We don't have any less "credibility" than we did in December.

UT has the platform to recruit at an elite level.
Pruitt will have to get over it. You don’t get destroyed by Vandy and Missouri, Miss a bowl, and then land everybody you want. He’ll have to coach up some lower ranked guys.

When you look at the results Missouri has had without recruiting at a high level. Even when they win, they still can’t compete at an elite level of recruiting. UT can, but Pruitt is going to have to win games.

How can you expect any coach to come into our mess and "make hay" with the people that were left for him to work with? (notice I said people, not players) First, they were not the type people they had to compete against. (not SEC types) They were for a different type football found at "lessor programs".(I use this term for lack of a better one) I think this is proven by the "butch" record in bowl games, just not good enough for the SEC. Whats worse, was the fact is we gave Butch the time to fill the whole roster with "his types". This staff will need more than one year to clean the mess up (or out).
Kids see only the "lime light" of a program, effort to get there or start there are what many weigh their decisions on. You are right in the statement about last season's end. Lets just hope there enough kids who are willing to "work" out there and our staff can find them and "reel'um in".

It takes some mental gymnastics to explain away how we finish in the top 10 last year, and can't catch a break now.

We don't have any less "credibility" than we did in December.
The farther you go along your sales pitch changes.

Early on it's about clean slates and more opportunities to start and play early because the new guy is not necessarily beholden to guys he didnt recruit. Right or wrong.
If the program improves in the W/L column and eventually starts placing more guys in the draft you re selling that moreso that early playing guarantees.

UT needs to take a step forward on the field this year and the class will be fine. Take another next year and it will get even better. HS players are in a "show me" stance right now and it's not hard to blame them.

People don’t realize what the Schiano fiasco did to the program.

Yep, and it goes further back and deeper than that. You could make a case that you have to go all the way back to Joe Johnson to find a UT President that understood what the record of the Football team truly means to the overall health and standing of the University. Somewhere along the line the administration decided you needed a fund raiser instead of a former coach as AD and its been basically downhill since Dickey left the AD role. For twenty years no one in a position to do anything about it cared if the football team was any good as long as the revenue kept coming in. And thanks to the Vols being in the SEC and the TV contracts that have resulted, the money has been great. Meanwhile any objective observer would say Vanderbilt now has a better football program than Tennessee. As a life long fan its just been sad to watch. We can only hope Fulmer can right the ship.

The staff has other responsibilities than recruiting. I'm not yet concerned with the recruiting. It may come to that but not yet. I am very pleased with their records in actual coaching.

It comes back to the saying I use now and then about which is first; the chicken or the egg. I think the staff has made it's decision and like you, they seem to have decided that the chicken (results for teaching and playing well) must come first. Then, the egg will be laid, hatched and grown into a bad ass "rooster". (Sorry, this comes awful close to that "thing" at S. Car.!!!)

Reactions: NEO
Yep, and it goes further back and deeper than that. You could make a case that you have to go all the way back to Joe Johnson to find a UT President that understood what the record of the Football team truly means to the overall health and standing of the University. Somewhere along the line the administration decided you needed a fund raiser instead of a former coach as AD and its been basically downhill since Dickey left the AD role. For twenty years no one in a position to do anything about it cared if the football team was any good as long as the revenue kept coming in. And thanks to the Vols being in the SEC and the TV contracts that have resulted, the money has been great. Meanwhile any objective observer would say Vanderbilt now has a better football program than Tennessee. As a life long fan its just been sad to watch. We can only hope Fulmer can right the ship.
No, they wouldn't. They would say that Vanderbilt has had a better team the last two seasons. That doesn't make a program. As cold as we are on the recruiting trail at the moment, we are still doing better than they are.

Reactions: norrislakevol
People trying to blame the past and give Pruitt a free skate. Before we hired Pruitt, Cade Mayes flat out said he'd go to UTK if Gruden was hired. Maybe Gruden was never happening, maybe it was a fleeting fancy that was quickly extinguished in his own mind but not before an off the record discussion got repeated and embellished to the point that it started an inferno in the interwebz. You want quick turnarounds you have to hire a rock star that recruits will flock to. There are guys like that out there. We just didn't offer enough because UTAD thinks we'll buy anything, a belief that they're probably rethinking in light of dismal ticket sales and donations. Whatever it takes, CJP is on the clock and time is running out.

Been outta the loop, who is "latest decommit"???

Antonio Johnson. Highest rated commit. 4* safety. He runs a 5.15 second 40 though, so I am not sure how he is rated that highly.

He did commit after going to A&M. I took a look at their roster and they don’t have one DB that has over 40 tackles. See below:

Texas A&M Aggies Roster | ESPN

He would have a chance to play immediately and A&M is an awesome place to go to school and has a bigger stadium than Knoxville. Easy steal.

It is a good thing that we are not recruiting to playing early kids anymore. The hard part is, we have yet to prove much on the field, so kids who are looking at 3 years of PT at best want to see results before committing to TN.

One random fact I wanted to point out is that A&M has 7 QBs and 10 RBs compared to our 6 & 8. That’s ridiculous.

People trying to blame the past and give Pruitt a free skate. Before we hired Pruitt, Cade Mayes flat out said he'd go to UTK if Gruden was hired. Maybe Gruden was never happening, maybe it was a fleeting fancy that was quickly extinguished in his own mind but not before an off the record discussion got repeated and embellished to the point that it started an inferno in the interwebz. You want quick turnarounds you have to hire a rock star that recruits will flock to. There are guys like that out there. We just didn't offer enough because UTAD thinks we'll buy anything, a belief that they're probably rethinking in light of dismal ticket sales and donations. Whatever it takes, CJP is on the clock and time is running out.
No, he didn't. That is historical revisionism. And with the notable exception of Alabama with Saban, none of the other elite programs in college football at the moment (Clemson with Dabo Swinney, Georgia with Kirby Smart, Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley, Ohio State with Ryan Day, LSU with Ed Orgeron) hired an established head coach. They either promoted from within or hired a coordinator. Now, I suppose you could mention Tom Herman at Texas or Chris Petersen from Washington as established coaches who were hired from other schools, but still, that is not the norm.

Dumb question here. What the heck is TOS? I have seen it mentioned but no one ever seems to bother to type it out. I have eliminted Thoraic Outlet Syndrome, Terms of Service, Tree of Savior, Tale of Symphonia and Tower of Saviors. Help?

Antonio Johnson. Highest rated commit. 4* safety. He runs a 5.15 second 40 though, so I am not sure how he is rated that highly.

He did commit after going to A&M. I took a look at their roster and they don’t have one DB that has over 40 tackles. See below:

Texas A&M Aggies Roster | ESPN

He would have a chance to play immediately and A&M is an awesome place to go to school and has a bigger stadium than Knoxville. Easy steal.

It is a good thing that we are not recruiting to playing early kids anymore. The hard part is, we have yet to prove much on the field, so kids who are looking at 3 years of PT at best want to see results before committing to TN.

One random fact I wanted to point out is that A&M has 7 QBs and 10 RBs compared to our 6 & 8. That’s ridiculous.
By what, a thousand or so? Good grief. I doubt that was it.

No, they wouldn't. They would say that Vanderbilt has had a better team the last two seasons. That doesn't make a program. As cold as we are on the recruiting trail at the moment, we are still doing better than they are.

Five out of the last 7 for Vandy and the last 3 have been blowouts. If you're judging the respsective programs by head to head play on the field I can't see how we're better. We still make more money than Vandy does and we have a much better football history overall, but in this world of what have you done lately, Vandy is just better.

2018/11/24 Tennessee 13 - Vanderbilt 38 L
2017/11/25 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 42 L
2016/11/26 Tennessee 34 - Vanderbilt 45 L
2015/11/28 Tennessee 53 - Vanderbilt 28 W
2014/11/29 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 17 W
2013/11/23 Tennessee 10 - Vanderbilt 14 L
2012/11/17 Tennessee 18 - Vanderbilt 41 L

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
Five out of the last 7 for Vandy and the last 3 have been blowouts. If you're judging the respsective programs by head to head play on the field I can't see how we're better. We still make more money than Vandy does and we have a much better football history overall, but in this world of what have you done lately, Vandy is just better.

2018/11/24 Tennessee 13 - Vanderbilt 38 L
2017/11/25 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 42 L
2016/11/26 Tennessee 34 - Vanderbilt 45 L
2015/11/28 Tennessee 53 - Vanderbilt 28 W
2014/11/29 Tennessee 24 - Vanderbilt 17 W
2013/11/23 Tennessee 10 - Vanderbilt 14 L
2012/11/17 Tennessee 18 - Vanderbilt 41 L
That is just it... the respective strength of two programs can't simply be measured in terms of head to head over the last few years ... I'm not arguing with anyone who thinks Vanderbilt has a better football program than Tennessee. That is stupid. As bad as Tennessee has been, they are still better than Vandy. Vandy is just 24-38 since 2014, Tennessee is 34-29. Sorry, but their other games DO MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: norrislakevol
So Pruitt is supposedly angry that his ace recruiters are not reeling in the big fish? Totally shocked.

Reactions: Titan05
Well, yes it is, compared to what I want. It's not anything new and the sky ain't falling, but it's nothing like any of us wishes it was. I'm not being a negavol or whatever it is you kids are calling it these days, it just is what it is.

I wish we had at least beaten Vandy last year and gone to a bowl. If we'd done that we might not even have this thread.

Chill, it'll get better by February, just wish we were looking better right now. I'd rather be taking baby steps forward than two steps forward one step backwards.
You've got it covered.
Can't spin it as we're in great shape but it's not as bad as some paint it. We haven't pulled in the big names we want. But as far as "top 20", we could take a bunch that are lower on the board and shoot up to that. Quantity is the biggest reason for the current status. And the staff is going to try and hold out for the bigger wants.

"This is TN and we have great facilities"... no one cares. Any decent program has them now. We've got to give kids a reason to believe and it's gotta happen on the field, not through wordy salesmanship. And early playing time doesn't mean squat if it's getting embarrassed.

We've spent our blue blood status by spending too many years underperforming. Time to impress.

4-8 and 5-7. While there are some valid points about the "elite" recruiters on this staff, it boils down to on field results. I believe until we can show we can beat Vandy and SC on a consistent basis, this staffs recruiting chops will not be fully realized.

Now, if we had won 9-10 games last year? Then absolutely the criticism of this staffs recruiting abilities would be fair to question. But as of right now, its not even fair to criticize this staffs ability to recruit at a high level.

How can you expect any coach to come into our mess and "make hay" with the people that were left for him to work with? (notice I said people, not players) First, they were not the type people they had to compete against. (not SEC types) They were for a different type football found at "lessor programs".(I use this term for lack of a better one) I think this is proven by the "butch" record in bowl games, just not good enough for the SEC. Whats worse, was the fact is we gave Butch the time to fill the whole roster with "his types". This staff will need more than one year to clean the mess up (or out).
Kids see only the "lime light" of a program, effort to get there or start there are what many weigh their decisions on. You are right in the statement about last season's end. Lets just hope there enough kids who are willing to "work" out there and our staff can find them and "reel'um in".

I’ve heard this every time we hire a coach. At some point somebody has to overachieve

VN Store

Back