TN OL Chris Morris (Texas A&M commit - Now JUCO)

I think some of the consideration has to be who is getting as a replacement. Pruitt's seems to get upgrades, so who would be next OL coach?

Not this should even be a thought whatsoever - but since you brought it up and I know Pittman is the clear "want" by most - the guy at Memphis has been killing it. They've had some really terrible rushing offenses for most of this decade, never being better than 75th nationally. He arrived in 2016, then in 2017 they were 5th nationally and last year 3rd. He was also up for some awards and their OL as a unit was one of 10 semifinalists for best OL. Also has some experience in the NFL and is pretty young.

Funny thing is I was also going through the national ranks to find any teams that had been in the top 10 in 'sacks allowed' in consecutive years recently and there was a team...8th nationally in 2016, 5th nationally in 2017....oh that was Colorado St hahaha.

Are the reds already sharpening their pitchforks before fall practice even begins?

Hope not. That was never my intention with my previous posts. I WANT Friend to be successful. Really I do. But he needs to show marked improvement this year. Like @Buchna said, Pruitt will make the upgrade if needed, but I truly hope Friend is the guy for us. No need for pitchforks in July. Just offseason discussion

Last edited:
Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Not this should even be a thought whatsoever - but since you brought it up and I know Pittman is the clear "want" by most - the guy at Memphis has been killing it. They've had some really terrible rushing offenses for most of this decade, never being better than 75th nationally. He arrived in 2016, then in 2017 they were 5th nationally and last year 3rd. He was also up for some awards and their OL as a unit was one of 10 semifinalists for best OL. Also has some experience in the NFL and is pretty young.

Funny thing is I was also going through the national ranks to find any teams that had been in the top 10 in 'sacks allowed' in consecutive years recently and there was a team...8th nationally in 2016, 5th nationally in 2017....oh that was Colorado St hahaha.
Silverfield? Yeah he’s pretty well regarded. No idea if Pruitt would go that route though. Might kick the tires on Kee although I don’t see him leaving Tech.

Reactions: Devo182
I've always thought Will Friend was overrated as heck but then I saw how well he did at CSU
He's a good coach, the guy had nothing to work with last year. This year he'll have some freshman, but that's not usually a recipe for success in the SEC either. He'll probably be gone next year through no real fault of his own, just couldn't walk on water.

He's a good coach, the guy had nothing to work with last year. This year he'll have some freshman, but that's not usually a recipe for success in the SEC either. He'll probably be gone next year through no real fault of his own, just couldn't walk on water.
That wouldn't spell success for us if that is the case

Why will he be gone next year?
Because he's not going to be able to walk on water. Our offensive line will hopefully be a little better but it's not going to be some miraculous change with just adding a few freshmen. Darnell and Wanya seem to be exceptional talents with great potential but freshman linemen, even talented ones, tend to get picked on in the SEC. They need time to mature but some in our fanbase aren't going to want to hear that or give them that time, if Friend doesn't pull the OL coach equivalent of walking on water this year, they'll want a scalp.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Because he's not going to be able to walk on water. Our offensive line will hopefully be a little better but it's not going to be some miraculous change with just adding a few freshmen. Darnell and Wanya seem to be exceptional talents with great potential but freshman linemen, even talented ones, tend to get picked on in the SEC. They need time to mature but some in our fanbase aren't going to want to hear that or give them that time, if Friend doesn't pull the OL coach equivalent of walking on water this year, they'll want a scalp.
I get the fan displeasure, but they don’t make the decision.

So you think Pruitt will kow-tow to the wishes of fans? 🤨

You think the infusion of freshman talent is the only way this line could be better than last year's?

Friend isn’t going anywhere.

You think the infusion of freshman talent is the only way this line could be better than last year's?
I'm not optimistic about any of the other people we have who are coming back outside of Trey and possibly Kennedy, Trey's health is a question mark, and well Kennedy is one of 80 people on the Rimington watchlist so there's that. I'd love to be wrong, but as far as the OL unit is concerned I don't think it's reasonable to expect much more than modest improvement.

So you think Pruitt will kow-tow to the wishes of fans? 🤨
I'm not going to characterize it that way, but I fear the end result may end up being the same, Friend is gone, without ever having much of a chance to start with. The next guy will come in with the foundation laid and probably look like a genius.

I'm not optimistic about any of the other people we have who are coming back outside of Trey and possibly Kennedy, Trey's health is a question mark, and well Kennedy is one of 80 people on the Rimington watchlist so there's that. I'd love to be wrong, but as far as the OL unit is concerned I don't think it's reasonable to expect much more than modest improvement.
Modest improvement over last year wins one if not two more games.

Modest improvement over last year wins one if not two more games.
7-5 is about where I'm at with this team if I had to pick a record. I think that would be outstanding, particularly if we're competitive with everyone who doesn't end up a Top 5 team. There's a lot of people referring to 7-5 as the "floor" in these parts these days though.

I'm not going to characterize it that way, but I fear the end result may end up being the same, Friend is gone, without ever having much of a chance to start with. The next guy will come in with the foundation laid and probably look like a genius.
Friend does a good job? Pruitt keeps him. Fan bisch or no fan bisch.

Friend does a good job? Pruitt keeps him. Fan bisch or no fan bisch.
What I'm saying is "good job" means different things to different people, if Pruitt needs to fire him at the end of the year, he's not going to say "well, the fans wanted him gone", no coach ever says that, he'll say something like Friend didn't live up to the standard we have here at Tennessee. Whatever he says it won't change the fact that Friend inherited probably the worst position group on the team athletically, and was basically unable to make chicken out of chicken ****.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
What I'm saying is "good job" means different things to different people, if Pruitt needs to fire him at the end of the year, he's not going to say "well, the fans wanted him gone", no coach ever says that, he'll say something like Friend didn't live up to the standard we have here at Tennessee. Whatever he says it won't change the fact that Friend inherited probably the worst position group on the team athletically, and was basically unable to make chicken out of chicken ****.
I don’t think we’re talking about the same Pruitt. Pruitt will fire him because of the fans but attribute it not living up to standards...whether he does a good job or not? Pruitt doesn’t talk out of both sides of his mouth...too much cornbread and chaw in there. One thing I’m confident in is that he will assess his coaches without any outside input and retain or release accordingly. Friend does a good job and he’s back.

VN Store

Back