Bootlegs and more

jackieaprilesr

leave the gun, take the cannoli
went back and watched 2018 offensive highlights. still disappointing to watch Callaway's route trees throughout the season. Helton never asked Callaway to do more than a 10 yard button / stop. Jennings was barely targeted and Palmer was mostly used on go-routes or long cross routes.

very excited to see what Chaney has planned for this unit. specifically, i think Chaney needs to install at least 5 bootlegs per game for JG. with Callaway, Jennings, and Palmer in the second level, bootleg plays are going to open up one side of the field and keep JG off his back. Fromm is more mobile than JG but JG has the ability to run for 5 yards on bootlegs. just that alone would of given the offense 20 more first downs last year and kept the defense off the field.

regardless if JG is a pocket passer, Chaney needs to roll him out to create opportunity and keep the defense honest..........anti-predictability.

also, if Chandler is in the slot; quick bootleg passes to the sideline will be easy money all season. if the defense focuses on those plays, it leaves room for the wheel route on the backside late in the game.

going back to Callaway, i would like to see if he can create separation over the middle of the 2nd level. every team knows that Callaway is mostly used as a jump catcher on the sidelines. it would be nice to see him clear out towards the middle of the field as either a 20 yard timing play or zone stop. this will also create room towards the sideline for Jennings to run a delayed cross as another check down for JG.

with any kind of running game and bootlegs, this WR unit could be great. and could allow for a dynamic possession offense that sustains long drives and keeps the defense off the field.

so much talent on this offense.

Do all those things on the same play with our all-SEC types and the views from VV would resemble a magnetic football game from the '70's. Wait, it already does.

Reactions: RollerVol
Bootlegs will work if ( a big if) the line slows down the defense corner pressure. Plays over the middle will work if (a big if) the line can give the play time to develop. Many plays like you describe will work.
Here again though, it all comes back to the line......
not a coach but on a bootleg isn't it important for the corner pressure to bite on the handoff? if he is being blocked wouldn't they know something coming that way? again not a coach

Bootlegs work best, when you’ve established a running game, off of play action. If we push around our cupcakes going into the Gator game they’ll have to respect it. If we can’t establish the run in the 1st half against UF those bootlegs will close and we may not be able to go back to it often throughout the rest of our P5 schedule. Let’s hope these boys up front are nasty when the games get tough.

JG's thought process: "Hmmmmmm.....let's see, I've got the OLB, Safety, and a CB easing up to the line on my right side. My TE is on the left, and my back is running a route to the left. Oh well, I'll just go ahead and snap it and hope for the bes.........(comes to 10 seconds later) What happened?"

And you want to run bootlegs? You wanna get him killed? :)

Reactions: lynnh
That's what roll outs are designed for; to avoid the rush. I know Crompton made a living off of them his Sr. yr.

That's what starting two walkons on the OL in the SEC did for Crompton.

I'm just stoked for Chaney bring our OC man. That's my biggest excitement for this football team.

Well having the CB's we do and the Pruitt to watch over the D gets me pumped up as well. I love this coaching staff man

spring rollouts and bootlegs keep the ends from rushing aggressively and keeps 1 linebacker focused on the QB and not in coverage. its an inverse way of getting the running game going. if defenses think the ball will move towards the sideline at the snap, the DL will adjust allowing the power run game to open up.

the big play on Chaney is that he centers the offense around the talent he has to work with. if the OL is as bad you as guys say, then UT will have to work backwards and create honesty in the defense by moving the ball away from the OL early to then bring the power run in late. teams with great OLs start with power run early in the game to open up throwing lanes later. as you can see in the WV game, Helton did not make this adjustment and continued to call plays for 3 step or 5 step drop backs with a bad OL. he should of combated WV pass rush by moving JG away from the center after the snap. WV would of countered by dropping more guys in coverage rather than blitzing.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
not a coach but on a bootleg isn't it important for the corner pressure to bite on the handoff? if he is being blocked wouldn't they know something coming that way? again not a coach
For me, the blocks I'm talking about come after the play starts. I need to see lineman that are getting the 5 or so yards allowed downfield able to have some effect as a play develops. I would hope the back or other runner has speed and moves to get to the corner.

VN Store

Back