Gadsden Flag (“Don’t Tread on Me”)

Not racist. Dont care who flew it before.

I wouldn't fly it, only flag I fly is the American one, maybe a UT one on game day.

If I had one I would use it.

I don't find it offensive or racist but I do usually find the dudes driving their monster trucks with it as a bumper sticker to be inherently douchey.

Reactions: Mick and LouderVol
I don’t think it’s racist at either.

But would you fly it? At your home?

I guess I’m wondering if it’s provocative enough at this point to worry about it raising the eyebrows of normal everyday Americans.

We had white nationalists marching with it here in Memphis and I'm pretty sure they've appropriated it elsewhere...I don't think it's inherently racist, and I don't think Chris Pratt should be in hot water over it.

I do think it runs the risk of being appropriated into racist symbology.

I don’t think it’s racist at either.

But would you fly it? At your home?

I guess I’m wondering if it’s provocative enough at this point to worry about it raising the eyebrows of normal everyday Americans.

I see it all the time around here with the naval base people . Bumper stickers , flags , t-shirts

Reactions: BUBear
It wasn't as popular 15 years ago. I had it as my avatar on a different forum back in 2003.

Now you see them everywhere. License plates, t-shirts, bunch of websites....

I have a T Shirt and Hat with it. Wear them to the gun range sometimes. People who love and cherish Liberty tend to like it.

This is a funny place here , it’s extremely liberal but you see a mixture of everything here because of the base . What you don’t see is a “ problem “ erupting because somebody has a cap , shirt , flag , bumper sticker or sign in their yard . I’m guessing largely in part because it’s open carry and most people just don’t mess with other people . Just a guess .

Reactions: BigOrangeD
Any symbol can be co-opted for other purposes (like the swastika). I don't think the Gadsden Flag has reached that point yet. And frankly, by demonizing people who wear it innocently, it's just going to make it easier to co-opt into a symbol of hate because only the racists will continue to wear it.

It wasn't as popular 15 years ago. I had it as my avatar on a different forum back in 2003.

Now you see them everywhere. License plates, t-shirts, bunch of websites....

It was popular when I was growing up or the T-shirt’s were . I also see it as a retro T-shirt when I see somebody wearing one .

Thank you for posting this as it is an EXCELLENT example of misleading right wing nonsense amongst bloggers, taking on the imprimatur of "news" or "fact."

The article claims that in 2016 the EEOC ruled that the flag could be viewed as "racial harassment in the workplace" because it could "convey racially-tinged messages" in some contexts.

Cue the right wing nutjobs losing their collective sh!t because they think the EEOC actually proclaimed that. Let's take a look at how this happened.

1) OP, the article you posted is on Yahoo in the Style section. That should have been the first clue to you that you were being taken for a ride.

2) The article in turn is from some site entitled "she knows," which bills itself as a website for women discussing things like cooking and beauty tips. So that's tip # 2 that maybe the "outrage" component of this is being ginned up, maybe just a tad.

3) So then we look at who did the linking. It is not surprisingly on Fox News in an opinion piece which, gasp, expresses much feigned outrage. Same thing on Townhall and presumably reverberating throughout the right wing blogosphere based on just a simple Google search.

So is it true that in some case the EEOC actually ruled that the "don't tread on me" flag is racist, or even could be racist, as suggested by the article?

ABSOLUTELY THE f*** NOT.

The EEOC has a page about this, and here it is: What You Should Know about EEOC and Shelton D. v. U.S. Postal Service (Gadsden Flag case)

For those too lazy to bother to read it -- which is evidently the entire right wing echo chamber that posts and reposts crap like this to rile up their idiotic base-- here is the bottom line:

This decision addressed only the procedural issue of whether the Complainant's allegations of discrimination should be dismissed or investigated. This decision was not on the merits, did not determine that the Gadsden Flag was racist or discriminatory, and did not ban it.

The EEOC goes on to specifically note that no determination was ever made as to racial component. The issue was just one of procedure having to do with an employee complaint.

No, Virginia, the EEOC has not ruled that the flag is racist, or even could be racist. So damn you to ignorant hell, all that bought into the notion that this is legit. Its another fake outrage piece, championed by the usual morons. Sadly, there will be many ignorant folks like yourselves wallowing in junk like this for a long time.

VN Store

Back